Upon Further Review - Texas A&M

StatTiger

Upon Further Review:

• Auburn's average distance to convert on 3rd down against the Aggies was 9.2 yards. Of Auburn's 17 third down situations, 11 required at least 7-yards to convert. Auburn's horrible production on 1st down has been a long term issue.

• During Auburn's last 22 games against Power-5 opponents, the Tigers have been out-gained on first down, 14 times. Auburn is 3-11 during those games.

• Last week, 31% of the Red Wolves offensive snaps resulted in a gain of 5-yards or more. This week against the Aggies, 44% of their offensive snaps resulted in 5-yards or better.

• Texas A&M averaged 7.03 yards per play during the first half and 5.49 yards during the second half. If not for the 89-yard TD run, the Aggies averaged 3.4 yards per play during their remaining 40 snaps during the final two quarters.

• Nearly 61 percent of Auburn's 1st down snaps against Clemson and Texas A&M resulted in a gain of 3-yards or less.

• Sean White attempted 9 passes on 1st down, completing six for only 18 yards.

• 83 percent of Auburn's pass attempts were within 10-yards of the LOS.

• Through 3 games into 2015, the Auburn defensive line accounted for 23.1% of the team's tackles. Through 3 games into 2016, it has improved to just 23.7%.

• Through 3 games, 51.4% of Kamryn Pettway's 35 rush attempts have netted at least 5-yards. Kerryon Johnson is 39.3% from his 56 rush attempts.

• Kamryn Pettway has been tackled for a loss only once and KJ has been tackled behind the line on six occasions.

• During 10 of Auburn's last 19 games against Power-5 opponents, Auburn has been held to under 5-yds per pass attempt on first down.

• During Gus Malzahn's 4 games against Texas A&M, his offense has attempted 34 passes on 1st down for an average of 3.18 yards per attempt. Overall, 20 of 34 passes for 108-yards.

• From 2013-2016, Auburn has fumbled the ball 71 times, losing 32 (45.1%). The opponent has fumbled 60 times, losing only 17 (28.3%).

• Since 1961, Auburn has attempted at least 35 passes during a game only 67 times. Auburn's 163-yards on 35-pass attempts was the 3rd worst passing totals from the 67 games of 35 pass attempts or more.

• During 25 SEC games under Gus Malzahn's offense without the services of Cam Newton or Nick Marshall at QB, Auburn has averaged 161.0 yards passing per game. This includes a completion percentage of 56%, 6.4 yards per pass attempt and a QB rating of 115.5.

• During the 41 games with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall, Auburn reached at least 8 impact plays during a game, 73% of the time. During the remaining 42 games under Malzahn, Auburn has reached at least 8 impact plays in only 45% of their games.

• Auburn allowed 65 tackles for loss in 14 games (2013). Through 3 games in 2016, they have allowed 32.

• Dating back to 2009, the national ranking for tackles for loss allowed by a Herb Hand OL is 105th, 107th, 113th, 111th, 82nd, 122nd and currently 128th.

• Of Auburn's 32 tackles for loss allowed this season, 1 happens every 6.9 pass attempts and 1 every 8.2 rush attempts. Very difficult to sustain any kind of offensive identity having to overcome this many negative plays.

War Eagle!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Dating back to 2009, the national ranking for tackles for loss allowed by a Herb Hand OL is 105th, 107th, 113th, 111th, 82nd, 122nd and currently 128th.

So... what you're saying is that Hand may not have been the best hire after all.  Seems to be proving out that way, as his unit is the glaring issue this year.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So... what you're saying is that Hand may not have been the best hire after all.  Seems to be proving out that way, as his unit is the glaring issue this year.

This is what stuck out to me as well. Those numbers are abysmal. Also, a glaring lack of improvement year to year. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

This is what stuck out to me as well. Those numbers are abysmal. Also, a glaring lack of improvement year to year. 

I still blame a lot of it on Gus being ill prepared for 2 of his best to leave early for the NFL. I think 2011 was a victim of him counting on Cam being there and not preparing his back-ups well enough.  I know the drop-off in 2014 was not being prepared for Robinson to leave.  Part of last year was not being prepared for Sammie to leave.  Gus has a bad habit of either having a skeleton crew for a specific position and not giving adequate prep to back-ups.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hope it improves and it isn't all the OL.

But....

Vanderbilt rankings with Herb Hand:

2010: 107th

2011: 113th

2012: 111th

2013: 82nd

At first I thought, "It is Vanderbilt" until I saw this...

Vanderbilt rankings without Herb Hand:

2008: 102nd

2009: 32nd

2014: 5th

2015: 38th

2016: 42nd

Some of the stress on the OL are schemes and play-calling to extent. I also believe Chandler Cox is still learning the H-Back position in this offense. Don't forget that Jay Prosch struggled early in 2013 as a senior. We also lack a good blocking TE in this offense.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I still blame a lot of it on Gus being ill prepared for 2 of his best to leave early for the NFL. I think 2011 was a victim of him counting on Cam being there and not preparing his back-ups well enough.  

When you go back and look at 2011, look at the beating the QBs (first Trotter and then Moseley) took.  It wasn't so much the QBs as it was that the senior laden deeply experienced offensive line of 2010 was mostly gone.  It all starts up front.  A QB that has time to operate is a better QB no matter what the offense or who the coordinator.  And this past weekend against aTm, the AU QB pretty much had very little time to do anything but try to get rid of the ball quick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

When you go back and look at 2011, look at the beating the QBs (first Trotter and then Moseley) took.  It wasn't so much the QBs as it was that the senior laden deeply experienced offensive line of 2010 was mostly gone.  It all starts up front.  A QB that has time to operate is a better QB no matter what the offense or who the coordinator.  And this past weekend against aTm, the AU QB pretty much had very little time to do anything but try to get rid of the ball quick.

I don't disagree at all.  I firmly believe that Gus lives and dies by his O-Line and have made that case repeatedly as being the real reason behind Auburn's ups and downs.  However, I also think he was counting on Cam coming back to give him another year to rebuild the line, because Cam has the ability to make a bad line look good.

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Upon Further Review:

• Dating back to 2009, the national ranking for tackles for loss allowed by a Herb Hand OL is 105th, 107th, 113th, 111th, 82nd, 122nd and currently 128th.

That (along with the later stats you posted for Vanderbilt with and without him) is mind boggling.

And I already knew what a paper tiger offense Malzhan has fielded vs SEC teams without Cam/Nick but I'm glad you pointed it out.  People are starting to wake up and smell what Gus is cook'in (and it ain't good).

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Dating back to 2009, the national ranking for tackles for loss allowed by a Herb Hand OL is 105th, 107th, 113th, 111th, 82nd, 122nd and currently 128th.  

Ouch, not good.

17 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Ouch, not good.

There is the above about the O-line, then there is this about the D-line.

• Through 3 games into 2015, the Auburn defensive line accounted for 23.1% of the team's tackles. Through 3 games into 2016, it has improved to just 23.7%.

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic
51 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

There is the above about the O-line, then there is this about the D-line.

• Through 3 games into 2015, the Auburn defensive line accounted for 23.1% of the team's tackles. Through 3 games into 2016, it has improved to just 23.7%.

While that isn't an happy number, I think if you take into account the amount of pressure they have gotten on the QB and the number of hurries, you will find significant improvement.  You will also find significant improvement on the LB stats. 

At this time, last year, our opponents had racked up 362 more rushing yards against us than they have this year.  That's certainly a function of the D-Line play.  At the same time, we've given up 237 more passing yards than last year. Still, that puts us 125 yards ahead of last years total yards, and I would argue that Clemson/Arky State/Texas A&M 2016 > Louisville/J-State/LSU 2015. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding when we face Fournette this weekend.

Edited by lionheartkc

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While that isn't an happy number, I think if you take into account the amount of pressure they have gotten on the QB and the number of hurries, you will find significant improvement.  You will also find significant improvement on the LB stats. 

At this time, last year, our opponents had racked up 362 more rushing yards against us than they have this year.  That's certainly a function of the D-Line play.  At the same time, we've given up 237 more passing yards than last year. Still, that puts us 125 yards ahead of last years total yards, and I would argue that Clemson/Arky State/Texas A&M 2016 > Louisville/J-State/LSU 2015. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding when we face Fournette this weekend.

Just my thoughts:

LB play is much better than I thought it would be! With that said, I like many fans thought the D-line would be more dominate. It was Gus himself that called Lawson "unblockable." So glad Carl has worked so hard and played well but I think after three games "unblockable" may-be a bit of a stretch.

Some QB hurries are there, but the sacks are 5th or 6th in the SEC? I guess with all the focus on our inept O, I agree with but I really thought we would see more from the D-line. 

Again, just my 2 cents.

Edited by AU-24

20 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Just my thoughts:

LB play is much better than I thought it would be! With that said, I like many fans thought the D-line would be more dominate. It was Gus himself that called Lawson "unblockable." So glad Carl has worked so hard and played well but I think after three games "unblockable" may-be a bit of a stretch.

Some QB hurries are there, but the sacks are 5th or 6th in the SEC? I guess with all the focus on our inept O, I agree with but I really thought we would see more from the D-line. 

Again, just my 2 cents.

You are correct... the D-line is not finishing.  They are flushing the pocket, but then the QBs are usually scrambling, often for big yards/first downs, when they should be eating turf.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Just my thoughts:

Again, just my 2 cents.

I guess Carl was unblockable by our o-line just not everyone else.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, kd4au said:

This!

I remember a couple years ago, everyone was raving about how unstoppable our offense was in practice, and we turned out to be horrendous on offense and even worse on defense. 

Point being, anyone can look amazing against sub-par opponents. The talking up of our defense and individuals on the defense is starting to really look like an inverted case of before.

17 hours ago, kd4au said:

At the same time, Carl and Garrett were grading out as 1 & 2 as pass rushers prior to the game. Had we not tried to block Garrett with Smith, twice, he wouldn't have had as much of a highlight reel, even though their O-Line is quite a bit better than ours.

Unblockable is a stupid thing for any coach to say about an End, but Carl is VERY hard to stop.

On 9/19/2016 at 3:02 PM, lionheartkc said:

It appears we've been dealt a bad Hand. 

• Like 1

So we hired a.....bum....at OL coach, because A. we felt like Coach Grimes relatively bad OL (which was a world better than this OL to this point) B. He helped run Gus's offense almost a decade ago? You can't make this up. If I knew these stats, (I knew Grimes wasn't good, but I didn't know he was this bad) I probably would've been completely expectant of how this line would pan out 

The oline is underachieving and that will cause most qb's grief. Even when the oline prevents penetration the line is collapsing to the point of disruption. So how do you defeat this? How about a screen to the rb? An unbalanced line and a run behind the hback? Good old smash mouth? How about anything different? 

• Like 1

I think I read where Auburn was the only SEC team Garrett had never had a sack against. So instead of continuing to make him a non factor, someone and I am assuming it was Hand who came up this less than dazzling idea of how to make Garrett an even bigger pain to deal with.