November 25, 2012

Newbomb

During the last game I had a discussion in chat about the Auburn search for a Coach after CGC was fired.  The person completely blamed Jacobs for the hiring of CGM.  I asked did Bo, Pat and Crawford deserve some blame for hiring CGM.  He stated that they only rubber stamped Jacobs pick.  He stated that a professional search committee was hired for them to pick from.  I can find no evidence of this.  Bo, Pat and Crawford were the search committee.  The committee was announced on November 25, 2012 following the announcement of CGC's firing.  My question is why does JJ shoulder most of the blame and not the Auburn legends and Crawford?

FWIW, I've been on academic and HFC search committees, and they happen all kinds of ways. Most academic searches are truly open, but I've been directly charged with courting one particular candidate. In a D3 head coach search, the committee was presented with a group of finalists, then interviewed and chose among the finalists.

Probably because it wasn't Pat and Bo's decision to be part of the committee in the first place.  Jacobs asked and they agreed to help out a friend and their alma mater.  (That's my guess).

When I heard the members of the committee announced, I knew right away that there were two reasons for it:

1)  To take the heat off JJ if/when the hire didn't work out.

2) To quell the conspiracy theories about meddling AU boosters riding around on jets.

It was very transparent to me and I am surprised more people didn't pick up on it.  Everyone said "Bo and Pat would never allow themselves to be used as pawns."  I do agree that they wouldn't allow themselves to be used.  However, I don't think they realized they were being used!  They were too trusting of JJ and wouldn't ever dream that he would do such a thing.  Well, they were unfortunately wrong.  The bottom line is that I don't think JJ had the spine to make this hire by himself, which in itself should be grounds for his removal.  

Now, did some PTB higher than JJ set this whole thing up?  I don't know.  Either way it's wrong.

So you are saying that Bo and Pat got manipulated into hiring/rubber stamping CGM.  Do you really believe that if Bo and Pat stood up and said "this guy is not the" guy they could not of thrown their collective weight around to stop a hire that they did not agree with?

Bo, Pat and Crawford were used as a shield to block any possible criticism about the hire.   Given JJ reputation after the Chizik fiasko no matter who he picked it would be viewed critically.  While the group might have given a list of qualified coaches and done initial interviews  JJ was the head decision maker 

When the search committee came back with Gus, my thought was that he was their main target all along.  I do not know if it is because of Jay Jacobs, but someone involved in the decision making process at Auburn clearly favors people with ties to Auburn (IE Auburn men).  Auburn interviewed Gary Patterson in 2008.  He was supposedly interested in 2012.  There is no way a case could be made for why either Gene Chizik or Gus Malzahn were better at the time than Gary Patterson, unless it is "they have been here before".

That said, having been the OC largely credited for the 2010 BCS National Championship, Gus was a largely popular hire to replace Chizik.

2 hours ago, Newbomb said:

During the last game I had a discussion in chat about the Auburn search for a Coach after CGC was fired.  The person completely blamed Jacobs for the hiring of CGM.  I asked did Bo, Pat and Crawford deserve some blame for hiring CGM.  He stated that they only rubber stamped Jacobs pick.  He stated that a professional search committee was hired for them to pick from.  I can find no evidence of this.  Bo, Pat and Crawford were the search committee.  The committee was announced on November 25, 2012 following the announcement of CGC's firing.  My question is why does JJ shoulder most of the blame and not the Auburn legends and Crawford?

Because he's the one being paid.  It's his job to make the hire.  The others have input.  I bet the others don't want another coordinator hire for a HC next go around.

I don't know enough to say whether Pat and Bo were used or not but does it really matter if they were? The accountability of any coaching hire goes to the AD. That's why he gets paid handsomely for his position. The public perception of Jacobs isn't too favorable right now and Bo and Pat couldn't deflect it if they wanted to. Just think who you'd rather have around your football program in 5 years - Bo, Pat or Jay? 

59 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

When the search committee came back with Gus, my thought was that he was their main target all along.  I do not know if it is because of Jay Jacobs, but someone involved in the decision making process at Auburn clearly favors people with ties to Auburn (IE Auburn men).  Auburn interviewed Gary Patterson in 2008.  He was supposedly interested in 2012.  There is no way a case could be made for why either Gene Chizik or Gus Malzahn were better at the time than Gary Patterson, unless it is "they have been here before".

That said, having been the OC largely credited for the 2010 BCS National Championship, Gus was a largely popular hire to replace Chizik.

Patterson was not interested. Just interviewed to get a raise. 

"I don't know enough to say whether Pat and Bo were used or not but does it really matter if they were?"  Those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it.  In a thread about the replacing an AD someone stated that Bo should be the next AD.  Someone else responded that the AD needed to be a CEO type or a lawyer because football is big business.  But if the person does not really know football we could have someone pull the wool over their eyes and we could wind up with another bad hire.  You need someone with a football background to do the hiring and thats what I thought Bo and Pat were on the last committee for.

Who all did this "committee" interview in 2012? Obviously, Gus was one of them, and so was Kirby Smart. I think they gave a courtesy phone call to Petrino (and that's probably why he wouldn't give AU a look now if they came calling)? I agree with the sentiment that this committee was set up for one thing and one thing only---recommend the hiring of Gus Malzahn. Whether his was Jacobs' doing or someone higher up than he, I really don't know, but I have to think that hiring Gus was Jacobs' plan all along. This way, Jacobs can say that he only did was the committee recommended to him, and he won't own up to any accountability if the program should go to hell in a hand basket, like it seems to be heading now. Of course, looking back to when Jacobs announced the firing of Gene Chizik, he didn't take any accountability on that hire, either. 

Archived