New Addition to the Family!

Barnacle

Bringing this little one home on Friday. Calling her Riley. Our 2 year old Golden's parents had a second litter, so he's getting a little sister. Let me tell you, these are the best dogs I've ever owned. Wonderful family dogs that hunt and can do whatever else you want them to. 

Orange Girl Stack.jpg

Orange Girl Head.jpg

IMG_0388 (1).JPG

Would love one. I have no luck with puppies. They turn into demons from hell and chew, dig and destroy my property. I am a duck hunter too btw. 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Would love one. I have no luck with puppies. They turn into demons from hell and chew, dig and destroy my property. I am a duck hunter too btw. 

I guess I've been lucky. Ray hasn't been perfect, he's chewed up his fair share of things, but mostly in the first 6 months. He still has a slight rug fetish. We just tried to be really strict during the first few months, never leaving any belongings where the dog could get them, and if we ever caught him with something we'd quickly discipline and then replace whatever it was with a toy of his. He figured it out pretty quick. 

Field training is another story. Takes a lot of time and repetition. I was really good with him through the first 9 months or so until I started school. We went dove hunting yesterday and he was rusty as all get out. The thing I've learned with dogs though, is if he's doing something wrong, it's probably because I didn't spend enough time working on it. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, alexava said:

well i guess we have adopted a 3year old Great Dane. His name is Hank, he is very big and he farts.

This is hands down the best post I have read on this site- or any, actually- in months. Thank you so much. This week is officially much better than last. 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

well i guess we have adopted a 3year old Great Dane. His name is Hank, he is very big and he farts.

Just like a male to do that..................................

14 hours ago, alexava said:

That's pretty close to what my wife said when I was introduced to my in laws.

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Did they also give the nickname Freak? I would assume so :-[

Yeah, but only after the gas.

Hank might be going back. He has growled and snapped at my wife and daughter. He is very affectionate to everyone but took up more with me and my son. Wife tried to get him off the bed last night when I was at work when he did it first and just now he was on the couch and my 7 year old daughter was petting him he started growling so I went over and started petting him he looked happy while nudging my hand then Ava started to pet him again when he snapped and growled. I don't think he intends to bite but just intimidate. I don't think I can chance that with a 150 pound dog. 

Eesh. Yeah. You're in a tough spot there. Like you said, it's PROBABLY okay, but that's your kid.

Hank! Quit being a dummy! Don't mess a good thing up. Just lay there and fart. 

We took him back. The guy understood and was apologizing. He said they didn't allow him on their furniture but bought a couch at a thrift store that the dogs could use. Said kids were told to stay off it for dog hair and smell. They just drug it out and hosed it off occasionally.  He just would have to adjust to different rules and need some training that I don't have the time or expertise to do ( hence why we don't get puppies). He was a cool dog though. We could put him on a leash and Ava (weighes 49pounds) could lead him anywhere and he is at least 3x her weight.. Oh well Alex was upset he had gotten attached after 5days but they were terrified of him after the incident. So at least it happened BEFORE the vet appointment. That was going to be expensive. 

• 5 months later...

Guys, 

I've got some unfortunate news. Riley passed away last weekend. Family was down at Lake Martin for the weekend, and the wife and I headed into Atlanta on Saturday afternoon to see the Cardinals play the Braves. As we were pulling into Atlanta, my in-laws, who were watching our dogs, called to let me know that she had gone missing. Initially, we thought that she might have run away, so we spent the next 48 hours searching, talking to neighbors and putting up flyers. Monday morning my father-in-law was working on the dock, and found her underneath. Apparently, she drowned on Saturday afternoon. 

We think she must have been worn out from playing and swimming all morning and afternoon and exhausted herself. She was the kind of dog that you couldn't stop from retrieving once she started. Unfortunately, whatever happened occurred so quickly that neither of my in-laws had time to notice she had gone under the water. I've had to let go of some anger of the past few days, and come to grips with the fact that there was likely nothing they could have done differently. Just a sad, tragic thing. 

Anyway, I can honestly say that I've never cried so much in my life as I did on Monday and Tuesday. She was only 9 months old, but I really loved that dog. I've been blessed at this point in my life to have never experienced real grief, until now. I'm not trying to diminish the grief someone feels when losing a child, parent, sibling or friend, but it really shook me up. Anyway, we buried her at the lake on Monday. 

She was a really special dog. Super sweet, very intelligent, and had a crazy drive. Probably would have made a good momma at some point too. Luckily, we still have her older brother, and that's made everything a lot easier

20170304_125733.jpg

20170304_121339.jpg

20170304_121231.jpg

IMG953122_20170331_181412.jpg

20170331_120702.jpg

Damned unfortunate.

Condolences.

How's the elder Ray taking it?

Edit - got the back story.

Dang barn hate to hear that . So sorry and I know it hurts. Nothing we can say or do will relieve that hurt. He was apart of your family. It took my wife and I 10 years to replace our mixed terrier. My heart hurts for you brother.  I am sure Ray is sad as well.  Have you heard of Rainbow Bridge,that gave us comfort we would see Casey again.. She sits on our shelf in a pretty container.  

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

5 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Damned unfortunate.

Condolences.

How's the elder Ray taking it?

Edit - got the back story.

He's been doing pretty well. I know that he realizes that she isn't here, but I'm sure he also doesn't understand that she's not coming back. I wouldn't let him near her after we found her. We've been trying to keep him (and ourselves) busy, so I've been taking him with me to places more than I normally do, and try to get him around other dogs and people often. Luckily, our friends have been great, and my brother in law even offered to "lend" us one of their dogs to make it easier for him. 

Archived