JACOBS SPEAKS

aubiefifty

Jacobs: 'We have to stop losing games we should win'

6_4830648.jpg
Auburn AD Jay Jacobs celebrates with head coach Gus Malzahn after Auburn's victory in the 2013 SEC Championship Game. (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

AUBURN, Ala. – Jay Jacobs, in his 12th year as Auburn’s athletics director, has seen the best and worst of college football.

In January of 2010, Jacobs celebrated as Gene Chizik won a national championship in his second season as head coach. Less than two years later, he told Chizik it was time to go after the worst Auburn season in 60 years and hired Gus Malzahn

In the 2013 season, Jacobs saw Malzahn’s first Auburn team win the SEC championship and narrowly miss a national championship. As the 2016 Tigers prepare for Saturday’s game against LSU at Jordan-Hare Stadium, a 1-2 start has sparked widespread speculation about Malzahn’s future as Auburn’s coach.

Since midway through the 2014 season, Auburn and Malzahn have won just two of 12 Southeastern Conference games, have lost six straight home games to SEC opponents and seven straight to Power-5 opponents.

Jacobs says he doesn’t follow social media, but he’s far from oblivious to the gathering storm. And he says things must turn around.

“We have to stop losing games we should win,” Jacobs told AuburnUndercover. “No disrespect to our opponents, but when we have a chance to win, we have to win. We have to get better on offense and continue playing well on defense.”

Auburn struggled mightily on offense in falling 19-13 to Clemson in the season-opener and 29-16 to Texas A&M last Saturday. Both games were at home.

“There is nobody more frustrated in trying to figure out a winning solution than Gus,” Jacobs said. “He’s working day and night with his assistant coaches to put these kids in position to win.”

But the bottom line, Jacobs said, remains the same: “We have to win games.”

After last season’s team went 6-6 in the regular season and finished 7-6 with a victory over Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl, Jacobs expressed support for Malzahn but said on WJOX-FM in Birmingham “there's no excuse for going 6-6 at Auburn, even though you lost a couple of games by one possession or less.”

Last summer, Malzahn's contract was extended by one year, through 2020. His buyout is $8.95 million, lower than at least 10 other SEC head coaches.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Last summer, Malzahn's contract was extended by one year, through 2020. His buyout is $8.95 million, lower than at least 10 other SEC head coaches."

Gahhh......

How about "We have to make better hiring decisions" ?

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well that sounds direct enough. Clear message that he's prepared to go in another direction after this season if things don't turn around, IMO.

That was the message a few months ago when Jacobs gave that interview in which he said "Auburn has provided coach Malzahn with everything he needs to be successful"...or something close to that.

Just now, CleCoTiger said:

That was the message a few months ago when Jacobs gave that interview in which he said "Auburn has provided coach Malzahn with everything he needs to be successful"...or something close to that.

I believe that. Point being, Gus knows exactly what's on the line. 

23 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well that sounds direct enough. Clear message that he's prepared to go in another direction after this season if things don't turn around, IMO.

I agree.

I do however find it humorous when Jacobs, Gus, and other coaches say they "don't follow social media", but they are aware of fan unrest/the swelling storm, etc....

They follow social media without a doubt...why would Jacobs feel the need to "speak" publicly right now when we are only 3 games into the season?  He is well aware of the swelling storm and he knows the pulse of his fan base because of social media and internet message boards.

Probably means they don't actually (personally) log into their accounts and read all of the comments on social media. I would assume there is a PR/marketing team in place that handles this for them and provides feedback as needed. So yes, they have an idea of what's being said, but they are not following it. 

Jay Jacobs goes to every home game and sits with big boosters  and other people with power $.  He knows what those people think and its not far from what is being said on social media. 

If Auburn is lucky enough to go 6-6 again, I guess Jacobs will add 2 more years and more money to Malzahn's contract. Jacobs and Malzahn needs to pick up their ball and leave Auburn.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I agree.

I do however find it humorous when Jacobs, Gus, and other coaches say they "don't follow social media", but they are aware of fan unrest/the swelling storm, etc....

They follow social media without a doubt...why would Jacobs feel the need to "speak" publicly right now when we are only 3 games into the season?  He is well aware of the swelling storm and he knows the pulse of his fan base because of social media and internet message boards.

How can they not follow SM? They monitor players twitter accounts and Facebook. They probably read this board. The sound of social media is defining. Now everyone truly has a voice.   

Should LSU prevail will the AD reimburse our expenses from Charlotte, meals, motel(2 days), and tickets since he felt the contract extension was warranted? 

After my first degree in '74 my first high school teaching/coaching income was $5k, that's coaching three sports not to mention delivering the Charlotte Observer(am) and painting houses in the summer months. My wife taught and coached too!

Being retired one must be frugal on fixed budgets!

"Live The Creed"

WAR EAGLE !

GO TIGERS !

Of course JJ is pissed. His neck is on the line too if this doesn't work out. 

Did well (REALLY well) with Pearl but his 2 football coach hirings have been questionable at best even at the time of hiring. 5-19 is inexcusable and frankly he should be counting his lucky stars Cam fell into our laps because without 2010 who knows how much heat JJ is facing if he's even still at AU. Then he hired a guy with 1 year of experience who's majority experience is from the HS ranks. Yikes.

47 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Reading between the lines, it certainly appears that JJ is fed up. 

How could he NOT be fed up?  

Seriously, Jay Jacobs is AUBURN through and through regardless of his deficiencies and faults, the man loves Auburn.  He has more blood, sweat, and tears invested into Auburn than any member of our coaching staff could ever have.  There's no possible way he can look back at the last 24 months of football and not be just pissed off, fed up and down right angry with the program both on and off the field.  We've had some costly attrition of players and coaches, and we've had some down right poor coaching.  Jacobs has done everything in his power to provide Gus with the resources and support needed to field a winning football team.  The results are unacceptable.    

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Seriously, Jay Jacobs is AUBURN through and through regardless of his deficiencies and faults, the man loves Auburn.  He has more blood, sweat, and tears invested into Auburn than any member of our coaching staff could ever have.  There's no possible way he can look back at the last 24 months of football and not be just pissed off, fed up and down right angry with the program both on and off the field.  We've had some costly attrition of players and coaches, and we've had some down right poor coaching.  Jacobs has done everything in his power to provide Gus with the resources and support needed to field a winning football team.  The results are unacceptable.    

Spot on, my friend.

20 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I wish Jacob's would do everything in his power to own up to his bad decisions  on his hiring efforts.

While doing so should he also take credit for not having one single AU athletic team under NCAA investigation?  Should he take credit for student-athletes high graduation rates?  How 'bout taking credit for negotiating and retaining some of the most lucrative revenue generating contracts in the conference?

I mean if he's going to own up to bad hiring decisions, then he should at the very least be able to highlight the primary objectives of his job responsibilities while running a multi-million dollar athletic program.

24 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I wish Jacob's would do everything in his power to own up to his bad decisions  on his hiring efforts.

Many, Many AU supporters loved the GM hire, because if his rep and success at AU as OC. Why wouldnt we? If there was another big time coach that JJ had in his pocket if he just offered it to him, i want to know who ...Patterson? 

But with Gus we had someone who recruited in the SEC, coached in the SEC, and was a good well rounded person too.

So maybe GM will not work out, get his team winning again...yes JJ made a choice most thought would work.

I dont care if he made bad hires before...let's concentrate on FB. Is Pearl showing up as a bad hire? No...

Whether he is Auburn through and through or not, he continues to be in, way over his head.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Jay, I know you've worked hard and taken a lot of heat.  But I wonder if you would give us a sneak peak at who some of your HC candidates are.

While doing so should he also take credit for not having one single AU athletic team under NCAA investigation?  Should he take credit for student-athletes high graduation rates?  How 'bout taking credit for negotiating and retaining some of the most lucrative revenue generating contracts in the conference?

I mean if he's going to own up to bad hiring decisions, then he should at the very least be able to highlight the primary objectives of his job responsibilities while running a multi-million dollar athletic program.

The criticism that JJ gets often leaves me scratching my head.  Jeremy Foley is considered to be one of the better AD's there is, and he hired Ron Zook and Will Muschamp.  Personally, I think he is doing a decent job.  I do wonder how much actual control he has over the decision-making in football coach hirings though.  Then again, I have seen people float Tuberville's name as a hopeful replacement, and then I scratch my head even more.

Gene Chizik probably gave a great interview, had the all-important prior Auburn connection, and no one wins at Iowa State.  There was criticism, but people got behind him quickly after he assembled his staff.  Considering what we see now, it may have just been that Chizik made the mistake of giving Gus too much leeway, and hired the wrong guy to replace him.

Gus Malzahn was a good choice to replace him as he was perceived to be the genius behind the BCS National Championship and Heisman Trophy, was only a year removed from recruiting for Auburn, and probably the best guy to just come in and get things done.  The response to Gus' hiring was quite positive.  Honestly, I think a lot of AD's end up making that hire if they were at Auburn, at that time.

Archived