LSU post game thread

Auburn2Eugene

7 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Lol..it was the only call. The clock was all zeroes. WDE. 

Yes, he is master of the obvious on that one. You simply can't get a play off with one second if they have to wind the clock before you snap the ball. I was sweating for about 30 seconds, though. Lol. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Well I just saw elsewhere that the SEC officials will state tomorrow that it should have been a ten second runoff. The rule says if it happens as a dead ball foul and the clock is stopped then no runoff. But once the clock starts and runs, then if it is stopped to take the penalty then it does fall under the 10 second run off. The rule is made so as to "not" stop the clock.The clock was stopped to assess the penalty. Don't know if that is fact but the person said they had talked to the SEC. TIFWIW. WDE

That was kinda what I was thinking but not sure if it fell under the exact scenario / rules...

1 minute ago, JGLEATON said:

That was kinda what I was thinking but not sure if it fell under the exact scenario / rules...

It did not merit a 10 second runoff. It wasn't intentional and for other reasons as well. At first, I thought it might be, then I googled the rule. 

I love how the refs completely disappeared for the last couple of plays. Completely.

They allowed LSU to celebrate the play after letting them run the play with 0:00 on the clock, after not giving them a runoff, after calling a penalty that would essentially let the offense get set and stand over the ball ready for the snap, giving them the best chance to get the snap off with one second, didn't review the pass that looked like an illegal forward pass and seemed like they wouldn't have reviewed the last place, save our coaches going ape s*** on the sidelines about it. My lord, I don't remember the last time I was this worked up over a game we won.

not that I'm super excited for the win, as our offense still sputtered in the red zone and blocking still seemed suspect. But for the sake of our defense and the heart players like KJ were giving out there, I would have been so pissed if we lost like that. 

2 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I love how the refs completely disappeared for the last couple of plays. Completely.

They allowed LSU to celebrate the play after letting them run the play with 0:00 on the clock, after not giving them a runoff, after calling a penalty that would essentially let the offense get set and stand over the ball ready for the snap, giving them the best chance to get the snap off with one second, didn't review the pass that looked like an illegal forward pass and seemed like they wouldn't have reviewed the last place, save our coaches going ape s*** on the sidelines about it. My lord, I don't remember the last time I was this worked up over a game we won.

not that I'm super excited for the win, as our offense still sputtered in the red zone and blocking still seemed suspect. But for the sake of our defense and the heart players like KJ were giving out there, I would have been so pissed if we lost like that. 

So sorry you're not "super excited", lol. 

Seriously, lighten up and enjoy life a little more. Jmo. 

Good game

57 Davis

Tray Mathews proud of how he played l, he wasn't going to look bad tonight 

Ryan Davis

a couple of guy who may have been under the radar I thought played well, oh and Carlson of course 

8 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

It did not merit a 10 second runoff. It wasn't intentional and for other reasons as well. At first, I thought it might be, then I googled the rule. 

Thanks for this post. A little clarification was needed.

13 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Yes, he is master of the obvious on that one. You simply can't get a play off with one second if they have to wind the clock before you snap the ball. I was sweating for about 30 seconds, though. Lol. 

Perhaps Gus would be more effective as the new spokes person for hotels.com. Look out Captain Obvious, here comes the Gus Bus.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Can all the "Fire Malzahn now!" crowd at the end of the game thread please step up and retract? It wasn't a high powered offensive game by either team. What it reminded me of really was old school football with an old school AU defense, and personally, I FREAKIN' LOVED IT!  (Well, I loved it after LSU's bogus score at the end was reversed.)

You don't see the irony in this post?

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It should have been a 10 second runoff. Once again, the refs blew it.

Maybe not. Found this in an article about that last play that's up at CBS Sports. (See "How the Refs Got it Right b y Waving Off LSU's Final TD") They say the review got it right on the time running out (and they did) but that there was no 10-second runoff by rule because the illegal shift was not a dead ball infraction. Anyway, below is the applicable page from the NCAA rulebook:

rules.png

I'm late to the party tonight, so I'm not sure if this was ever addressed. But there were several posts in the first few pages suggesting confusion. After doing some digging, I figured out the mess at the end of that game. (Sorry if this has already been explained.) Here's what happened:

For a dead ball foul prior to the snap, the clock is reset. However, close to the end of the game there is a ten second run off if the offense commits a dead ball foul. 

For a live ball foul, the clock restarts on the ready for play with no added time. This doesn't change at the end of a game.

If there was a dead ball foul on that second to last play, there would have been a runoff and that play that ended inside the five would have been the last play. However, illegal shifts are not dead ball fouls. They are live ball fouls. LSU had 1 second to get the ball snapped starting on the ref's whistle. They didn't snap the ball in time. Hence the last play didn't matter.

My mistake. I thought illegal shifts were dead ball penalties.

I still hate Refs 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My mistake. I thought illegal shifts were dead ball penalties.

I still hate Refs 

Dang...with all that white space I almost missed the punch line. But it was worth it. I LOL'd.

Yes, Looks like Illegal shift is a live ball foul and no run off, i was wrong too and the refs got it right.

See foul rule and example # 4

http://www.oficiales.org/1_reglas_NCAA/2015_Reglas/Originales/10-SECOND RUNOFF.pdf

18 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Good heavens. Just freaking enjoy the win. Seriously. 

For real! If someone had offered us a win over LSU when:
-Muschamp and his band left
-Craig left
-The A-Day game got finished
-Jovon got dismissed
-Last Chance U came out
-any other horrible moment from this past offseason that I can't think of for now,

I would've been (and am) ecstatic! (And I love it especially for Tray and Rudy after what they had to go through last year. You don't think Tray had that clip engrained in his mind?)

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Good game

57 Davis

Tray Mathews proud of how he played l, he wasn't going to look bad tonight 

Ryan Davis

a couple of guy who may have been under the radar I thought played well, oh and Carlson of course 

Got to mention Kerryon as well.  That kid has been a contributor since he showed up and he runs like he means it.  That was a tough one on the fourth and goal but I am for getting him the ball as much as we can.

Deshaun Davis has be the defensive MVP of these first four games.  I stupidly thought his size would be a problem but man am I looking forward to seeing him play the next couple of years.  He, Tre and Darrell W should be one of the stoutest group of lbs we have had in a long time.  What say you Mikey?  You have to be pleasantly surprised.   WDE!

33 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Maybe not. Found this in an article about that last play that's up at CBS Sports. (See "How the Refs Got it Right b y Waving Off LSU's Final TD") They say the review got it right on the time running out (and they did) but that there was no 10-second runoff by rule because the illegal shift was not a dead ball infraction. Anyway, below is the applicable page from the NCAA rulebook:

rules.png

LSU's contention is listed under part "c" there.  They say that since illegal formation is exempt from the 10 second rule, then the clock should not have started until the ball was snapped (as opposed to starting on the official's signal).  If they are right, then LSU got robbed.  However, if you look at the rulebook, it gives clarification examples of how to handle penalties late in the game.  Here is one example the rulebook provides, copied verbatim.  This is from page FI-18, Article 4 (3-4-4).  Emphasis is mine:

Second and 10 at the B-30. The game clock is running in the second half. Team A trails by two points and is out of timeouts. At the snap Team A has five players in the backfield. A22 carries for a three-yard gain to the B-27. When the ball is declared dead the game clock reads (a) 13 seconds; (b) 8 seconds. RULING: (a) and (b) Five-yard penalty, illegal formation. Second and 15 at the B-35. Because the illegal formation is not a foul that causes the clock to stop immediately, the 10-second runoff does not apply. After the penalty is administered the game clock starts on the referee’s signal.

This seems to contradict section "c" in your example.  So why is there a clear contradiction here?  Any rules guys?  

20 minutes ago, aubinvnam said:

Got to mention Kerryon as well.  That kid has been a contributor since he showed up and he runs like he means it.  That was a tough one on the fourth and goal but I am for getting him the ball as much as we can.

Deshaun Davis has be the defensive MVP of these first four games.  I stupidly thought his size would be a problem but man am I looking forward to seeing him play the next couple of years.  He, Tre and Darrell W should be one of the stoutest group of lbs we have had in a long time.  What say you Mikey?  You have to be pleasantly surprised.   WDE!

Some guys are just gamers despite size. I'm glad our coaches saw past that and gave Deshaun his chance to show what he can do. 

3 hours ago, Charhair said:

I don't see how people somehow figure that pass was even close to being worth a review. Guy even made extra careful to plant his foot before the line when throwing the ball. I didn't think he was past it and I kinda let guys on here cloud my judgement at the time. The review clearly showed that the refs made the right call though. Illegal shift should've probably be called and ended the game though. That's something worth being mad at. I can't be mad at the game ending as harmful as it did, I still wonder what kind of coverage bust it took to get that Chalk guy open like that though. I know Etling broke the complete lack of contain we had and all the LBs were dropped in coverage, but Etling essentially threw it dead in front of him. I would've thought someone would be between him and the zone behind him

Archived