LSU post game thread

Auburn2Eugene

Great win...would have liked to see a couple TDs out of the red zone but as for play calling.....there will be no consensus on this board...when we pass and it's incomplete, there are cries of "why did we get away from Pettway when he was running so well"...and when Pettway gets stuffed for no gain, another group wants t know why we are running obvious plays... and when KJ does the wildcat which has worked pretty well this year, there is yet another group screaming what a stupid call that.   

Without calling names or numbers, there were some terrible missed blocks that caused good play calls to go nowhere and some passes that should have been caught that ended up on the turf.   Seems we have another Sammy on the team this year...a big guy who can get open..but has about 30% chance of not catching a ball that hits his hands....but guess we still have to throw to him to get that 70% chance that he will make the catch of a well thrown pass.. 

As for critiquing the game...maybe there should be a requirement that the forum posters have to make their play call before the play is run in order to have the right to assert afterward that they  had a better call in mind.   Most of the second guessing is boring and mostly in my view, a lame attempt for the poster to demonstrate greater knowledge of the game than the guys who actually have to play it...and be accountable for the results. .

Meanwhile.....an important win over a ranked team that virtually nobody on this board expected us to beat.   War Eagle...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Charhair said:

I love how the refs completely disappeared for the last couple of plays. Completely.

They allowed LSU to celebrate the play after letting them run the play with 0:00 on the clock, after not giving them a runoff, after calling a penalty that would essentially let the offense get set and stand over the ball ready for the snap, giving them the best chance to get the snap off with one second, didn't review the pass that looked like an illegal forward pass and seemed like they wouldn't have reviewed the last place, save our coaches going ape s*** on the sidelines about it. My lord, I don't remember the last time I was this worked up over a game we won.

not that I'm super excited for the win, as our offense still sputtered in the red zone and blocking still seemed suspect. But for the sake of our defense and the heart players like KJ were giving out there, I would have been so pissed if we lost like that. 

This was actually the entire game imo. I dont usually complain much about officiating but there definitely seemed to be an overall bias last night. Maybe they were trying to save Les' job? I dont know. Things were called one way for us, and a different way for LSU. It was aggravating. I understand you let some holds go, but good grief, LSU was doing some serious holding on the OL last night. Glad we escaped with a W.

8 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

This was actually the entire game imo. I dont usually complain much about officiating but there definitely seemed to be an overall bias last night. Maybe they were trying to save Les' job? I dont know. Things were called one way for us, and a different way for LSU. It was aggravating. I understand you let some holds go, but good grief, LSU was doing some serious holding on the OL last night. Glad we escaped with a W.

I cannot remember another year as bad as this one as far as officiating is concerned in the SEC.

I cannot believe they even allowed them to run that last play.  It was so blatantly obvious the clock had expired.  Then they go to the booth or where ever to review the clock while 87000 people and both teams stare at a Jumbotron waiting on these amateurs to get it right.

Come on SEC, you can do much better than this!

44 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I cannot remember another year as bad as this one as far as officiating is concerned in the SEC.

I cannot believe they even allowed them to run that last play.  It was so blatantly obvious the clock had expired.  Then they go to the booth or where ever to review the clock while 87000 people and both teams stare at a Jumbotron waiting on these amateurs to get it right.

Come on SEC, you can do much better than this!

Last year, when I was in a superstitious mood, I blamed the Jumbotron as "AU-pride payback."  HOWEVER...I was reminded last night that "back in the day", pre-instant replay, last night's final "touchdown" would have likely stuck.  JUMBOTRONS rock, if for nothing else than crazy fan cams...and much appreciation to all who spend hours revisiting replays onsite and elsewhere.  Like you, I sure wondered at the officiating.  Hitting Sean White from the back may not fit the "targeting" definition, but all I could think about was "whiplash" from fender-bender-rear-enders.  Talk about unaware and unexpected.  But, hey, I'm not nor have ever been a ref.  Except in my classroom where my word is....LAW!  :Sing:

7 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Last year, when I was in a superstitious mood, I blamed the Jumbotron as "AU-pride payback."  HOWEVER...I was reminded last night that "back in the day", pre-instant replay, last night's final "touchdown" would have likely stuck.  JUMBOTRONS rock, if for nothing else than crazy fan cams...and much appreciation to all who spend hours revisiting replays onsite and elsewhere.  Like you, I sure wondered at the officiating.  Hitting Sean White from the back may not fit the "targeting" definition, but all I could think about was "whiplash" from fender-bender-rear-enders.  Talk about unaware and unexpected.  But, hey, I'm not nor have ever been a ref.  Except in my classroom where my word is....LAW!  :Sing:

Seems like I have seen referees warn both teams in the past that the clock would start upon the ref placing the ball, but they didn't and that was the end.  The refs still took enough time placing the ball to let LSU line up.   I doubt any team could have quick snapped the ball for a final untimed play.  

17 minutes ago, cptau said:

Seems like I have seen referees warn both teams in the past that the clock would start upon the ref placing the ball, but they didn't and that was the end.  The refs still took enough time placing the ball to let LSU line up.   I doubt any team could have quick snapped the ball for a final untimed play.  

Actually, I just watched the replay (and it was just as gutwrenching even when I knew what the outcome was), and can confirm Hubert Owens did announce "Clock will start on my signal."

Going back and watching the last play unfold, the thing that confuses me is that there seemed to be a delay in getting the play clock moving. The play clock was still at 25 when the game clock had hit 0:00. LSU snapped the ball with 24 on the play clock but the game clock had just expired before the play clock had even started. You'd think the play clock would have started simulatenously? 

That's why I was still worried we had lost when they reviewed to see if LSU got the play off.

10 hours ago, cptau said:

The white hat clearly said the clock will start on my signal.  They knew it would start on the ready and not on the snap.

41 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So what do we call this game? We have the Interception, Earthquake game, the Night the Barn Burned, the Cigar game........etc

The night they drove ole Les down.

The most Auburn win of all time.

4 minutes ago, ausburn said:

The night time ran out.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So what do we call this game? We have the Interception, Earthquake game, the Night the Barn Burned, the Cigar game........etc

The most Auburn win of all time.  WD!

On 9/25/2016 at 1:20 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't see how people somehow figure that pass was even close to being worth a review. Guy even made extra careful to plant his foot before the line when throwing the ball. I didn't think he was past it and I kinda let guys on here cloud my judgement at the time. The review clearly showed that the refs made the right call though. Illegal shift should've probably be called and ended the game though. That's something worth being mad at. I can't be mad at the game ending as harmful as it did, I still wonder what kind of coverage bust it took to get that Chalk guy open like that though. I know Etling broke the complete lack of contain we had and all the LBs were dropped in coverage, but Etling essentially threw it dead in front of him. I would've thought someone would be between him and the zone behind him

There was one covering Fournette on the goal line, but Fournette shoved him while the pass was in the air. 

4 minutes ago, Grinder said:

There was one covering Fournette on the goal line, but Fournette shoved him while the pass was in the air. 

Yea that was interesting.  Hey @WarTiger. The last play, when Fournette shoved the defender who could have possibly leaped to disrupt the pass. Is that legal?  If not, what is the call, since he wasn't playing the receiver but was directly in the trajectory of the pass?

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Whaddaya we call it? Six Kicks!

54 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea that was interesting.  Hey @WarTiger. The last play, when Fournette shoved the defender who could have possibly leaped to disrupt the pass. Is that legal?  If not, what is the call, since he wasn't playing the receiver but was directly in the trajectory of the pass?

His block with the pass in the air is offensive pass interference.

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

His block with the pass in the air is offensive pass interference.

Good to know that, had time not run out, that they had to break several rules to make the play.

Archived