LSU Game Report Card

StatTiger

All three phases had a passing grade, making Auburn's win a true "team" victory. The defense was very solid tonight but the continued big plays allowed must be addressed. Auburn has now allowed 11 plays of 30-yards or more through 4 games, compared to the 15 allowed all season last year. Over 35% of LSU's total offense came on three plays as Auburn allowed only 3.89 yards per play of the remaining 56 snaps defended. Sean White's passer rating of 148.7 was the 6th best performance against an LSU team during the last 33 meetings and the 3rd best performance against a ranked LSU team. Kerryon Johnson played like a man possessed after being thwarted on the 4th & 1 play during the first half. He finished with 161-yards in total offense from 26 touches. The missed red zone opportunities nearly cost Auburn their first SEC win at home since 2014, but poor execution had more to do with it than play-calling. Tony Stevens dropped two passes, one which would have been a red zone TD and a second pass that would have set Auburn up on the LSU 1-yard line, first & goal. Auburn's offensive line also missed a blocking assignment down at the LSU 1-yard line, leaving a middle linebacker unblocked.

Eight of LSU's possessions were held to 26-yards or less as the defense played an excellent game. The defense won the tackle for loss battle with eight stops behind the line and Auburn allowing only four on the night. LSU came into the contest at No.5 in the SEC for tackles for loss, and the Auburn defense was No. 12. Tray Matthews and Rudy Ford made up for their non-physical performance from last year as they were the top-2 leading tacklers tonight. Auburn's defensive line had their best game of the season, accounting for 5.5 of Auburn's eight tackles for loss. They recorded three sacks and seven additional QB hurries against LSU. Auburn's offense produced six possessions that netted at least 50-yards, and LSU was held to only three such possessions. Auburn's defense held LSU to only 1 TD after four trips to the Auburn red zone. One of those key stops came after Auburn fumbled the football at their own 16-yard line. LSU was held to a field goal after going "3 & out", keeping Auburn a field goal away from retaking the lead.

Daniel Carlson played like an All-American tonight, tying Al Del-Greco's school record of 6 field goals during a game. He was also 6 of 6, kicking every kick-off for a touchback. LSU scored only one time from Carlson's six "touchbacks" on kick-offs. The 18 points won't win many remaining conference games, but the offense looked more efficient than the Clemson and Texas A&M games. Sean White took another step forward to earning the respect of his players and coaches as he took some vicious hits but still had a game-winning performance. LSU came into the game with the No. 3 run-defense in the conference regarding yards allowed (2.87). LSU had allowed 103.3 yards rushing per game, and Auburn finished with 154-yards rushing. It was more than enough to permit Sean White to make some passes downfield. It was nowhere close to being a beautiful performance, but it was a winning performance. The players have played their hearts out, and this win will only inspire and motivate them to continue to play hard. The players needed this win for so many reasons, and they battled to the end to obtain the victory.

War Eagle!

Game #4 Statistical Evaluation (LSU Game)

Offensive Report Card
01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [3.72] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [42.1%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [3.14] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [54.5%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [36.4%] fail
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [9.00 yds] pass
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [80.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [00.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [35.3 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [72.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [0/1] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [0 from 75 snaps] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [5] fail
14) At least 2 big plays:  [2] pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [148.7] pass

Score: 8 of 15 (53.3%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:
01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [7.65] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [30.8%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [6.87] fail
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [25.0%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [33.3%] pass
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [4.37 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [75.0%] fail
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [25.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [28.2 yds] pass
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [27.1%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [1/1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [59.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [6] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [3] fail
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [92.3] pass 

Score: 11 of 15 (73.3%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:
1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [40.0] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [0.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [0.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [23.0] pass
6) PAT’s (100%): [0 of 0] N/A
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [100.0%] pass

* Bonus point for record tying 6 field goals*

Score: 5 of 6 (83.3%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

• Like 7

Yes they did.  Great effort by the defense.  Poor execution in the red zone almost cost us the game, which would have been an easy win if we had closed the deal down on the goal line a couple of times.  But a win is a win and this was a big one for this team.

• Like 1

War Damn Stat!

Wasnt beautiful, but it was a very AU/LSU game. 

Aside from the winning part, I am most glad to hear of redemption for Matthews and Ford. In fact, I would take holding Fournette to "only" 100 any day, particularly considering last year. 

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

Thanks for the analysis.....and looks like LSU had the red zone blues too....expect they are moaning over the times they got down there and did not get anything from it.   

Not much comment on failed 3rd and 4th at the goal.....which I favor....AU needed a shot in the arm and a TD at the half could have been huge....and who would expect someone to totally miss a block on a play they run about 15 times a game?   I liked both calls and with the blockers making their assignments either play was a TD....and coaches have to expect /assume that the players will execute on big plays like those. .

The only issue I have on the 3rd and 4th down goal line plays before half is the order of play selection. I think it would have been better to use the wildcat with KJ on 3rd down if you knew you were going on 4th down. Switch the two plays and I think you may score there. Still, I agree, there was no way the coaches could know that someone would blow a block on a middle linebacker. At the goal line, no less....

Also, Pettway gets the Houdini Award for the second week in a row. He disappeared, again, in the second half. I can't really figure out why they haven't called his number more (or at all) in the second half. You really wouldn't think he would be wore out......it is just confusing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, EagleFlight34 said:

Also, Pettway gets the Houdini Award for the second week in a row. He disappeared, again, in the second half. I can't really figure out why they haven't called his number more (or at all) in the second half. You really wouldn't think he would be wore out......it is just confusing.

Do a little more reading on the board or listen to the post-game coaches interviews. Pettaway sustained some sort of thigh bruise that limited him in the second half last night. That's why he wasn't in the game, But ya know. KJ did a heckuva job in that second half. In fact, KJ ran determined and...well...like he really, really wanted it after LSWho stuffed us on the goal line earlier in the game.

What the O is lacking is a player like C Grant or OMac that forces them to defend sideline to sideline.  Why not use JF3 in that role? Keep SW at QB. Put JF3 in motion for jet sweep. SW has  the option to give on the sweep, inside to JJ or KP, or hit a quick throw to the EZ.   JMHO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, olewarthog said:

What the O is lacking is a player like C Grant or OMac that forces them to defend sideline to sideline.  Why not use JF3 in that role? Keep SW at QB. Put JF3 in motion for jet sweep. SW has  the option to give on the sweep, inside to JJ or KP, or hit a quick throw to the EZ.   JMHO.

Like!

14 minutes ago, olewarthog said:

Seems like Kam Martin would fit that bill also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Like!

me too...but I used up all my likes it seems....

Kerryon Johnson played like a man possessed after being thwarted on the 4th & 1 play during the first half. Yes he did,if they could get a little more good weight on KJ and him run like he did last night it would be great.

2 hours ago, olewarthog said:

The problem with that is JF3 is not a regular in the offense the way McCalebb and Grant were. The moment JF3 checks into the lineup as a WR for a jet-sweep or end-around play, everyone in the stadium will know it is coming.

3 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

The problem with that is JF3 is not a regular in the offense the way McCalebb and Grant were. The moment JF3 checks into the lineup as a WR for a jet-sweep or end-around play, everyone in the stadium will know it is coming.

Exactly. So depending on how the defense reacts, you give SW 2 other options.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

How about as a decoy? The one thing I did note in an earlier game was how the defense reacted to JFIII's mere presence which caused enough hesitation to help open up the running lanes for others.

• Like 1

You definitely would freeze the backers with his motion. You would also tempt the Safeties to crash which could open the deep pass

• Like 2

Guest WarEagleSteve

It seems like we run a lot less "eye candy" with this offense than in previous years. I seem to recall there being someone in orbit motion or some other kind of deceptive motion on half the running plays we called in 2013/2014. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. 

Bird, I have been wondering all year why they don't let JFIII be the McCaleb/Grant playmaker on the jet sweep. Lashelee who called the plays last night, has got to do more to jet JFIII involved. He is too fast to sit the whole game except for 1 snap.

• Like 1

I agree he is a weapon.

As far as the "eye candy" goes, we haven't had it since Grant left.  Also, if you run the "eye candy" you have to actually give it every now and then in order for it to be effective 

• Like 2