LSU Game Report Card

StatTiger

6 hours ago, StatTiger said:

The problem with that is JF3 is not a regular in the offense the way McCalebb and Grant were. The moment JF3 checks into the lineup as a WR for a jet-sweep or end-around play, everyone in the stadium will know it is coming.

Yes...  so why not just keep him out there for a drive (most of the time motioning over) to help stress the D... open up some other things, passes for SW and runs for KP n KJ... those jet sweeps aren't nearly as effective, but with JFIII out there they might be every once in a while n he could really break one... and then keep SW in / same package of players use JF III as the QB / wildcat as a changeup and  / or short yardage.

We've not had much luck running on the outside, JFIII would most definitely provide us with a option to run those sweeps.  He's so fast, just get him out there and give him a chance.

20 hours ago, BornAU76 said:

We've not had much luck running on the outside, JFIII would most definitely provide us with a option to run those sweeps.  He's so fast, just get him out there and give him a chance.

Maybe.  I think some receiver blocking would still be needed.  We've had little to none of that.

Thanks for the numbers, Stat.

I'm wondering about your calc of 9 yards per completion. SW completed 19 passes for 234 yards. That's 12.3 yards per completion. Where am I going wrong?

Those big plays by LSU -- ugh! What would have happened if Fournette had not sat with an ankle injury? 6.9 yards per rush is pretty ugly, with Fournette, Guice and Clark all ripping off big runs. I'm not dissing the defense. They played a good game. But not exactly shutting down thew LSU runners.

In comparison, KJ and KP averaged 3 yards per carry. This is on the OL. And this weakness up front also explains (IMO) why Auburn is having so much trouble in the red zone. SW got Auburn into scoring position repeatedly. But if you can't get push against the defense and have defensive guys in your backfield, scoring TDs is kinda hard.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AURex said:

Thanks for the numbers, Stat.

I'm wondering about your calc of 9 yards per completion. SW completed 19 passes for 234 yards. That's 12.3 yards per completion. Where am I going wrong?

Stat's numbers are YPA (yards per attempt), not YPC. Either way, it's a pretty good number! :)

War Eagle!

On September 25, 2016 at 10:20 PM, JGLEATON said:

Yes...  so why not just keep him out there for a drive (most of the time motioning over) to help stress the D... open up some other things, passes for SW and runs for KP n KJ... those jet sweeps aren't nearly as effective, but with JFIII out there they might be every once in a while n he could really break one... and then keep SW in / same package of players use JF III as the QB / wildcat as a changeup and  / or short yardage.

I would imagine it is more important for the offense to grow with the base 11 on the field. If you leave JF3 on the field for an entire series, you are taking an actual wr off the field. It would be nice to see improvement made through adjustments to schemes and play-calling rather than gimic personnel changes.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

I would imagine it is more important for the offense to grow with the base 11 on the field. If you leave JF3 on the field for an entire series, you are taking an actual wr off the field. It would be nice to see improvement made through adjustments to schemes and play-calling rather than gimic personnel changes.

I'm out of likes but I like that, and I would love to see positive adjustments to schemes and more unpredictable / aggressive play-calling with more passing (take some shots.)