How would you fix...

bigbird

Spread the defense out instead bunching them all in the tackle box. I think the OL blew their assignments on the goal line. Simplify the blocking to zone and have every lineman go straight up field. Both stuffs seemed to have come straight over center untouched. I would also think to see more outside run options or run some slants. And last but not least, use the tight end!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

not a coach. i think the o line could do better but it would appear to me that sean held the ball too long on some snaps causing us bad things to happen. anyone agree or am i off base?

I'm ok with it because he doesn't panic and doesn't throw pics.  Needs to clean up some of the fumbles.

I honestly would like to see the I formation with a fullback on some of these short yardage plays. And where is our tightend or two tightends for short yardage. Old school but these where, and still are, very effective formations for short yardage. Can occasionally run something other than between the tackles with this short yardage formation. 

9 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

People may get tired of me mentioning this but i think we should use JF3 in the RZ some. Spread the defense and let defenses try to guard KJ or JF3 one on one. It opens up the inside and outside IMO. We don't throw slants or fades...don't even attempt them down in the RZ. Some may say we don't have the WR for it but i disagree. I'd love to see Nate in the game more when it comes to our RZ offense. Let him go up and make a play on the ball. I just don't think the WildCat with KJ is going to be effective much with many SEC defenses. I didn't think the playcalling in the RZ was bad but it was vanilla. Guys have to help the QB out and catch the ball when we do get opportunities...we missed 2 TDs b/c of that for sure. 

In favor of anything but that stupid wildcat...have confidence in your players...throw it up to Stevens or NCM and I bet they'll go up and get it

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

1. Be more physical and play our assignments up front.

2. jF3 should see the field in the red zone, either as wildcat or the sweep man...he's just so quick around the edge and we need that.

3. Abandon any and all bubble screens since we've not blocked well for it in 3 years.

4. Don't church it up in the red zone, run the ball between tackles and throw in some play action or waggle.

5. Vertical passing routes down the seam.

6. Slants to our big physical freshmen wide receivers.

7. Anything involving the TE

8. Sometimes we have to throw the ball when the receiver isn't wide open and let the guy be an athlete and make a play.

Especially #6 the slant passes. These have worked well for AU and they seldom us them. Best way to stop the rush is the quick slant. I don't mind a deep pass but the probability on them are very low even when you get a wide open receiver. Make the sure throws across the middle. We the receiver is going against the grain it makes it hard to tackle them. Look how much yards after carry get generated that way as say opposed to down the sideline throws. WDE

Also , nothing against anyone else but we really need not to be substituting when we get down inside the ten. We moved the ball well and have the defense on their heels and then we stop and make changes and lose the momentum. We need to have the package from what we are running. Now if we get a Goal from inside the three, maybe have a heavy package to come in and run. Bu heavy I mean 3 TEs and Two over sized FBs in front of the ball carrier. Maybe with KP or even our on " Frigerator " type guy. WDE

10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Also , nothing against anyone else but we really need not to be substituting when we get down inside the ten. We moved the ball well and have the defense on their heels and then we stop and make changes and lose the momentum. We need to have the package from what we are running. Now if we get a Goal from inside the three, maybe have a heavy package to come in and run. Bu heavy I mean 3 TEs and Two over sized FBs in front of the ball carrier. Maybe with KP or even our on " Frigerator " type guy. WDE

wouldn't this proposed formation put 12 men on the field?  5 linemen + 3 TE's + 2 FB's + 1 RB + 1 QB = 12. I could see how that might be effective, but not very legal.  lol  I do, however, get your point.  run heavy for short yardage.

1. Adjust the o-line.  change personnel, shift people around, or just say bad things about their mom's before the game.

2. Fewer dives on 1st down, and when you don't dive, don't replace it with a trick play.

3. More crossing routes.

4. More Pettway. I love how Kerryon runs, but I've yet to see a team shut down Kam, yet we bench him a lot.

5. Pettway in on Wildcat for a third option.

6. More 1st down passes.

7. Wide receiver blocking.

2 hours ago, IndianTiger said:

Do we have a pass catching tight end? Use him to shake things up in the Red Zone, haven' seen one in a while.

Tight end? As an AU fan, I gotta ask, what the heck is a pass catching tight end? ;)

I wish we could come up with an option at H-back besides Cox. He's trying but man he misses a lot of blocks. I thought it was him that whiffed on the third down on the goal line although I saw him not block anyone effectively on several plays so I may be mistaken.

Line up under center occasionally in short yardage, especially inside the one. Miss a block in the gun and you take a two or more yard loss. Last night, a sneak under center scores a TD before the half. LSU had no one lined up over center. You've got to get two yards when needed. 

Guest WarEagleSteve

1. Figure out what you want the offense to be and stick to it (we seem to have figured out what we want to be against LSU (mostly). Time will tell about the stick to it part). 

2. More variation in the short-to-intermediate passing game AKA expanded route tree. Slants, comebacks, crossing routes, etc. Our traditional screen/dig/out/go route tree just isn't cutting it anymore. 

3. Multi-level route concepts. For someone who loves forcing defenders to make quick decisions in the run game and exploiting their inevitable mistakes, Gus does a less than stellar job of using route combos to force mistakes from the secondary. 

4. More variation in the run game than just dive, sweep, wildcat. Counters, traps, anything. This o-line isn't good enough right now to consistently blow people off the ball on our standard run plays. 

5. Find some way to help Chandler Cox in pass protection. He's struggled with it all year and it doesn't seem to be improving. Right now, he's a liability as a pass blocker. 

6. Take more shots on first down. We run the ball 70% of the time on first down and we rarely attack the middle third of the field. Seems like the  right place to call play action seam routes. 

7. Finally, smarter red zone play calling. Bang slants, fades, run-pass option stuff, get creative. Our o-line isn't good enough right now for our go-to play to be Kerryon in the wildcat, especially when everyone and their brother knows that's what's coming when we get inside the five. 

Playcalling is our biggest achilles heel right now. The talent is there (mostly) and despite the lack of points, I believe the LSU game is something to build on IF the playcalling improves. 

If Gus will get in there the NEXT TWO WEEKS and FINE TUNE the play book....

and get rid of slow developing plays / plays that have NO CHANCE of success against SEC D's and plays with blocking schemes that DON'T work for us with the players we have.... and/ or FIX the schemes to where they fit OUR personnel and have a chance to be successful (Pass and play / target the young receivers!!)  

AND work on the Short yardage / RED ZONE.....

Add an extra TE / big lineman to go with short yardage goal line package  "IF" we get stalled and CAN'T keep the same personnel in and go fast.... then have a big boy package WITH speed ready to go in, add Jalen Harris or an extra big fast lineman as a TE... KP and KJ in at the same time more.

I'm not sure I wouldn't work on this package / short yardage in practice over and over... and add extra Lineman and D back to the practice D against them to make it harder and make them get 2 yards until they could do it quickly, and consistently.

and continue to get out of the way and let RL call the plays... but help him come up with a GOOD game plan and a GOOD plan of attack with good plays that fit our schemes / and plays to our players strengths while taking advantage of exploiting their weakness we will not only continue to see improvement, but we can be competitive with ANYBODY. 

I would love to see a graphic representation of our pass attempts in the first 4 games laid out like they do in basketball for shots attempted. I have to believe there would be a ton of points to the left and right of the LOS and along each sideline, but hardly any across the middle third of the field at any distance. 

To me that's a real problem with Gus and his passing game...not to mention not even trying to use the TE. 

What does everyone think about the idea of pulling Cox and using Kam and Kerryon on every down. I think Kam is a more reliable blocker and that give the option to hand off to either on every play.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

...the offense

1. What plays would you run or not run.

2. Who would you play instead of others.

3. What adjustments would you make to the scheme(how would you attack defenses with our talent/luck of talent)

In my stupidity

more slants, button hooks, outs. Less of that pass play where White turns his back to the defense faking the handoff. Stop rolling White out to the left side of the field.

End the Pettway experiment at tailback. As well as he has run the ball he is more valuable as a blocker. The next two games should provide ample opportunity to incorporate the two frosh tailbacks into the offense. Or hell, let Cox run the ball instead of Pettway.

Use the big bodies wrs we have at the goal line on slants

The first thing I would suggest is throw the ball on first down.  It seems like we run the same play every time we pick up a first down.  We rush up to the line and run it up the middle with the RB.  And Sean is not much threat on the zone read but the few times he has kept the ball he has gotten good yardage.  Maybe he needs to keep it a little more.  One other thing.  Ole Miss made a living yesterday throwing the ball up long to their big bodied wide receivers and letting them go get it over smaller DB's.  We have those big freshmen on the bench let them have a shot to go get it.

8 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

If Gus will get in there the NEXT TWO WEEKS and FINE TUNE the play book....

and get rid of slow developing plays / plays that have NO CHANCE of success against SEC D's and plays with blocking schemes that DON'T work for us with the players we have.... and/ or FIX the schemes to where they fit OUR personnel and have a chance to be successful (Pass and play / target the young receivers!!)  

AND work on the Short yardage / RED ZONE.....

Add an extra TE / big lineman to go with short yardage goal line package  "IF" we get stalled and CAN'T keep the same personnel in and go fast.... then have a big boy package WITH speed ready to go in, add Jalen Harris or an extra big fast lineman as a TE... KP and KJ in at the same time more.

I'm not sure I wouldn't work on this package / short yardage in practice over and over... and add extra Lineman and D back to the practice D against them to make it harder and make them get 2 yards until they could do it quickly, and consistently.

and continue to get out of the way and let RL call the plays... but help him come up with a GOOD game plan and a GOOD plan of attack with good plays that fit our schemes / and plays to our players strengths while taking advantage of exploiting their weakness we will not only continue to see improvement, but we can be competitive with ANYBODY. 

I would probably lose my job if some one got injured, but tomorrow afternoon I swear  I would line the first team offense, and the first team defense up at the twenty yard line. I would tell them we are going to stay out here until we score a touchdown if it takes all night. Over, and over again until we get it right. No missed blocking assignments, no dropped passes, and no dumbass play calls.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

I would probably lose my job if some one got injured, but tomorrow afternoon I swear  I would line the first team offense, and the first team defense up at the twenty yard line. I would tell them we are going to stay out here until we score a touchdown if it takes all night. Over, and over again until we get it right. No missed blocking assignments, no dropped passes, and no dumbass play calls.

You'd lose your for violating NCAA rules that limit practice time for student athletes if you actually kept 'em out there all night.  Days of stuff like that are over.

12 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

You'd lose your for violating NCAA rules that limit practice time for student athletes if you actually kept 'em out there all night.  Days of stuff like that are over.

Ha! are you saying it would take all night? If so, you may be right.

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Ha! are you saying it would take all night? If so, you may be right.

Man, I dunno how long it would take. The next football team I coach will be the first. Now if you need someone to teach 'em to play slide trombone, I'm your guy!  (Yup. An  old music major.:P)

1. Triple option

2. JF3, with Pettway at HB and Johnson at RB

3. Mix in play-action passing game to keep defense honest, and obviously KP can lead block for KJ, but I'd love to see some down the line triple option with these guys running it.

Archived