Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

In addition to SW's accuracy, which is a given at this point in the season, there are a couple of intangibles that are very strong for him.  First, the guy is a competitor, he wants to win and pushes himself and his team to do just that.  Second, he doesn't make bad decisions.   I haven't seen him try to force anything that's not there, even if it means throwing it away, trying to run or even taking a sack and I think that is really important. 

The LSU defense is no joke, and SW sure too some shots last night. For the life of me, I can't understand why we couldn't stop #49 all night. We need to O line to continue improvement, badly. 

Not knocking SW but a couple of those hits came from holding the ball a little to long. If you are sitting in the pocket you got to get it off quick, especially against SEC West talented defenses. WDE

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

food for thought.  SEC NOW pointed out that Arkansas really struggled with the zone read against aTm.  Can Sean develop that part of his game enough to bring that into the fold in a few weeks?  I am by no means suggesting pulling him for JFIII for that game.  Sean has shown that he is an adequate runner, and makes good decisions.  I would love to see that develop with his accuracy on the throw as well.  It may not be as dynamic as it was with NM, but I CAN see it being good enough to beat a bunch of teams!  Is the handoff part of the zone read the part of his game that is lacking?  I do remember NM faking out defenses and cameramen A LOT!  What say you?  I, personally, am cautiously optimistic.  we were beaten by two top ten teams this year without any semblance of an offense, and were still in both games for the most part.  that is nothing to scoff at!

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore. 

What game did you watch? Certainly not the Auburn game, in which the AU quarterback completed 73% of his passes against one of the better defenses in the land.

Can't say I agree with the "he can't win us games" thing. Tony Stevens catches that pass that hit him in the hands in the end zone it's a different ball game. Proud of him though, he showed a lot of doubters last night that he's our guy. 

10 minutes ago, trout54 said:

food for thought.  SEC NOW pointed out that Arkansas really struggled with the zone read against aTm.  Can Sean develop that part of his game enough to bring that into the fold in a few weeks?  I am by no means suggesting pulling him for JFIII for that game.  Sean has shown that he is an adequate runner, and makes good decisions.  I would love to see that develop with his accuracy on the throw as well.  It may not be as dynamic as it was with NM, but I CAN see it being good enough to beat a bunch of teams!  Is the handoff part of the zone read the part of his game that is lacking?  I do remember NM faking out defenses and cameramen A LOT!  What say you?  I, personally, am cautiously optimistic.  we were beaten by two top ten teams this year without any semblance of an offense, and were still in both games for the most part.  that is nothing to scoff at!

I think we need to craft our game plan around White's strengths. Failing to do so cost us at least one win this season if not two. Let's don't try to turn White into a zone-read QB just because some defense or the other has problems with it. If we stick to what we do well we have a chance against everybody. Trying to be something we clearly aren't is a sure-fire way to lose.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think we need to craft our game plan around White's strengths. Failing to do so cost us at least one win this season if not two. Let's don't try to turn White into a zone-read QB just because some defense or the other has problems with it. If we stick to what we do well we have a chance against everybody. Try to be something we clearly aren't is a sure-fire way to lose.

I agree, the disappointing part is Auburn doesn't seem to know who we are until 3 or 4 games into the season.  The only time we've known who we are was the 2014 season when NM returned as the starting QB.  Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think we need to craft our game plan around White's strengths. Failing to do so cost us at least one win this season if not two. Let's don't try to turn White into a zone-read QB just because some defense or the other has problems with it. If we stick to what we do well we have a chance against everybody. Trying to be something we clearly aren't is a sure-fire way to lose.

I agree 100% with you, and am not suggesting we try to make him a zone read QB.  I am merely suggesting using it ON OCCASION.  It will make all defenses respect it, and give a different dimension to prepare for.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think aTm uses it exclusively, but it sure as heck burned ark a few times.  I believe Sean is every bit as good of a runner as the aTm QB.  give him a shot a few times a game.  I think it could be devastating to the opponents in the long run.  but that is just me.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree, the disappointing part is Auburn doesn't seem to know who we are until 3 or 4 games into the season.  The only time we've known who we are was the 2014 season when NM returned as the starting QB.  Interesting.

I think we know exactly what we are. Great Defense...great ST. Decent in the running game and fair in passing. If the OL shores up its pass protection I think we can win a good bit of games. The trick is the play calling. I just felt like they waited too long on some drives to get the ball in the air once we approached the red zone. A couple of drives we ran it like 5-6 times in a row to get inside the 5. Then stalled. Even if you're getting 5 yds a carry, why not drop a PA pass in there when you get to the 20-25 yd line? Or a quick crossing route when their up in the box keying on the run. That's the main thing Gus urks me with. He'll beat a dead horse then doesn't have an answer to them stopping it. 

9 minutes ago, trout54 said:

I agree 100% with you, and am not suggesting we try to make him a zone read QB.  I am merely suggesting using it ON OCCASION.  It will make all defenses respect it, and give a different dimension to prepare for.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think aTm uses it exclusively, but it sure as heck burned ark a few times.  I believe Sean is every bit as good of a runner as the aTm QB.  give him a shot a few times a game.  I think it could be devastating to the opponents in the long run.  but that is just me.

I disagree. Sean is nowhere near Trevor Knight in that department. Sure, he can get a few yards here and there when things break down, but he is not built to run. Knight is much bigger and a bit faster. As far as Zone Read goes....why force something that just isn't there? Sean has other qualities that serve us better than to send him out there to get hurt trying to run ZR. 

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I think we know exactly what we are. Great Defense...great ST. Decent in the running game and fair in passing. If the OL shores up its pass protection I think we can win a good bit of games. The trick is the play calling. I just felt like they waited too long on some drives to get the ball in the air once we approached the red zone. A couple of drives we ran it like 5-6 times in a row to get inside the 5. Then stalled. Even if you're getting 5 yds a carry, why not drop a PA pass in there when you get to the 20-25 yd line? Or a quick crossing route when their up in the box keying on the run. That's the main thing Gus urks me with. He'll beat a dead horse then doesn't have an answer to them stopping it. 

I see your point regarding Gus' tendancies.  I think the 2013 offense spoiled him in that regard.  Gus is slowly coming around to what his team in capable of and we may see things change in the coming weeks.  The drive SW got sacked on the 10 yard line looking for Hasting in the end zone, (this is pure speculation) was a result of Hasting was not only the primary receiver on that play, but the only receiver on the play and SW made the correct decision and ate it.  Hastings also got jammed up in the back field before releasing into the end zone.  The sack didn't put us out of FG range and trying to force a throw in would get it intercepted.

My original point, in the post above, is Gus does not know what his personnel is capable of until 3 or 4 games into the season.  That, to me, is troublesome after 9 months of practices.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I see your point regarding Gus' tendancies.  I think the 2013 offense spoiled him in that regard.  Gus is slowly coming around to what his team in capable of and we may see things change in the coming weeks.  The drive SW got sacked on the 10 yard line looking for Hasting in the end zone, (this is pure speculation) was a result of Hasting was not only the primary receiver on that play, but the only receiver on the play and SW made the correct decision and ate it.  Hastings also got jammed up in the back field before releasing into the end zone.  The sack didn't put us out of FG range and trying to force a throw in would get it intercepted.

My original point, in the post above, is Gus does not know what his personnel is capable of until 3 or 4 games into the season.  That, to me, is troublesome after 9 months of practices.

Gotcha..agree. 

SW played solid last night. I was at the game and need to watch it closer on tv before I make a real assumption as to how he played. SW is a gane manager type qb. As long as he does not turnthe ball over we can and will win games with SW starting. SW still needs to get over the hump of scoring tds when inside the red zone. I know Tony dropped one. On the Kyle Davis deep ball near the end of the game it looked like KD slowed up because he didn't trust that SW had enough arm strength to get him the ball in stride.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

He played very well, almost great. He's getting better with each game and that's most important....I feel thread like these are set ups though....saying can and Nick didn't stand in the pocket and take licks....it's almost trying to make sw something he's yet to have shown and sooner or later somebody will point it out and then there's an argument. Then there's alot of o line fault and wr drops that will be mentioned then sooner or later somebody will start talking about that. Then there are super hyped people that will start saying how he's better at things than some of the greats....sooner or later that will be an our convo. Lastly there's the throwing some of the best passes I've ever seen which guess what? Somebody will say something and that will lead to a super hyped defender of everything sw.

Thread would go better if everybody would just give him a pat on the back and stop mentioning the greats until he has a resume to compare to the greats. Then there won't be any off tangent arguments and people don't have to say everybody is hating on sw/everybody loves sw.....just let him get better and if he is as great as the last couple we've had wins and stats will show that. Of course that's just my opinion

Somewhat agree, but SW played better than Peyton Manning ever did in his career last night. Easily a HOF arm, he also has more running ability than B. Sanders... just sayin'

:)

Can we get Sean throwing to Slayton more and less #8. Not wanting to bash him but I think Slayton is better suited for that role. Would love to see all of the young guys getting more catches.

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore. 

19 of 26 and two dropped passes would have been 21 of 26. Nobody throws a perfectly accurate pass every time. but if 21 of 26 were good enough to have been caught or dropped that is pretty accurate. I only saw two really bad passes.  I am not sure what game you were watching if you don't think he was accurate..  He threw one pass to Steven's that dropped over defenders hands and Stevens then caught and fell that was a big gain but could have been an even bigger gain if Steven's had kept his footing.. That pass had to be perfect and it was.

I don't know if they have the same defensive coord but arky has really struggled with qb's that can move for quite some time now.  Sw every bit as good of a runner than Knight though.....really? 

We still need to shore up our run defense and really need to work on redzone offense. But I think we're a pretty good team. Playing in the close games will pay off in the future as well

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

19 of 26 and two dropped passes would have been 21 of 26. Nobody throws a perfectly accurate pass every time. but if 21 of 26 were good enough to have been caught or dropped that is pretty accurate. I only saw two really bad passes.  I am not sure what game you were watching if you don't think he was accurate..  He threw one pass to Steven's that dropped over defenders hands and Stevens then caught and fell that was a big gain but could have been an even bigger gain if Steven's had kept his footing.. That pass had to be perfect and it was.

Yep and he hit Stevens on a long throw right in the numbers that he let slip threw his arms at the sideline that would have put us inside 15 or ten. That was a great throw. We have to make those catches.

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Yep and he hit Stevens on a long throw right in the numbers that he let slip threw his arms at the sideline that would have put us inside 15 or ten. That was a great throw. We have to make those catches.

I actually missed that play as I was grilling in backyard and trying to run back and forth and watch the game only missed couple of plays.

8 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

SW played solid last night. I was at the game and need to watch it closer on tv before I make a real assumption as to how he played. SW is a gane manager type qb. As long as he does not turnthe ball over we can and will win games with SW starting. SW still needs to get over the hump of scoring tds when inside the red zone. I know Tony dropped one. On the Kyle Davis deep ball near the end of the game it looked like KD slowed up because he didn't trust that SW had enough arm strength to get him the ball in stride.

KD trusts SW plenty fine to get the ball there. White's arm is plenty strong. He can slap chunk it. Could in high school and can now. Why the heck you keep taking backhanded swipes at SW is a mystery to me. 

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

KD trusts SW plenty fine to get the ball there. White's arm is plenty strong. He can slap chunk it. Could in high school and can now. Why the heck you keep taking backhanded swipes at SW is a mystery to me. 

That's not anything you could know. This is how it starts, he didn't take any swipes he's just not as hyped up about him as you. There are some things that people may notice and say that aren't saying he's perfect. No reason to get angry

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I actually missed that play as I was grilling in backyard and trying to run back and forth and watch the game only missed couple of plays.

I was at work but I taped it. Up here they don't understand how important college football is Smh

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was at work but I taped it. Up here they don't understand how important college football is Smh

Neither does my wife having me cook during an Auburn game. You would think that being married for 30 years she would know better but she had family in from New York and El Salvador and she mistakenly thought that was more important then the Auburn football game.

12 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Where is the back end swipe? I said he played solid. Where in my post did I take any shot at SW?

Have always been a SW fan. It isn't him in the red zone...it's predictable play-calling. 

As far as Sean's accuracy...he has all the throws...except the drop in, in stride deep ball. With that said...Sean commands his team well...they fight with him...and if he has time, he can pick defenses apart. He is an Auburn man through and through, always has been. So...I say all this to say that I agree with those who are seeing Sean grow before our eyes...and I look forward to watching him win some games if he is given the right plays and protection.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Still in TN? Wait till UT starts playing both halves of their games, then everyone will be about football all the time.

Archived