Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

8 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Dude this is not a debate on JF3 or SW. SW has not thrown a td against a quality opponent inside the redzone or outside the redzone. I was saying JF3 would be the starter at some point as I was being told he was close since before the Clemson game. I don't think even the coaches envisioned him taking this long to get the playbook. We are still only 4 games in though. 

Why do SW people take this like people are taking shots at SW because they are set on JF3. I don't think either one of them is capable of leading us to a title atm. Also neither one of them will be starting next season if we get Stidham which looks good.

Also my opinions are what they are. The facts I just stated about each qb were facts though.  And when I say JF3 fits offense better I am saying his skill set. That means if he could get the playbook down etc.

You either say he's the greatest you ever seen or you feel the wrath

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

What more can SW do inside the RZ besides run in there and catch his own pass?  He hasn't been perfect down there, but the amount of TDs dropped is getting comical at this point.

But we just had the thread on kodi teaching fundamentals.....

If our quarterback can do well in the redzone but Malzahn is holding him back due to his personal stubbornnes, then that should be a fireable offense after watching a six field goal game. Just saying. I do believe Gus is stubborn but he wants to score touchdowns as much as we do. So I am guessing there is more to SW's redzone playbook than just stubbornness.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our track record with can't-miss QBs isn't good.

I agree. This one has been molded by a great teacher though. Albeit for one year, but he has still been taught.

That doesn't make sense, WDE. Been told too many times he is average at best. Has a week arm, can't throw deep, and can't run. Why would any other team want such a player?

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That doesn't make sense, WDE. Been told too many times he is average at best. Has a week arm, can't throw deep, and can't run. Why would any other team want such a player?

I guess other teams don't like to score? 

The good quaterbacks account for half of the touchdowns or little less. They enable the running game by the strength of a balanced attack. You think teams like Bama ( and as we saw, LSU) are going to let KJ rush for all of our scores? It's not going to happen. 

20 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If I'm SW I'd transfer to a different program where the offense would be designed around my talents. And SW would have his pick of schools. 

He might not have a choice if Stidham gets here. I imagine a few posters will transfer along with him.

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If I'm SW I'd transfer to a different program where the offense would be designed around my talents. And SW would have his pick of 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Red zone woes are on the staff. Period. 

I agree I would transferred if I was SW. I really don't know why we can't Taylor an offense around him even though I believe we are trying with the short to intermediate passing game.

I also agree red zone woes are partially on staff. SW has missed some throws in the red zone that would have been TDs though the Clemson game to Cox being one that is off top of my head.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The good quaterbacks account for half of the touchdowns or little less. They enable the running game by the strength of a balanced attack. You think teams like Bama ( and as we saw, LSU) are going to let KJ rush for all of our scores? It's not going to happen. 

SW is having to hand the ball off for a die play or gets put at the WR spot on the wildcat. SW has not been given the proper opportunity to do anything inside the red zone. All on the staff. 

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So blame the coaches for running it 80% on 1st

Blame the coaching for not having balance.

There is a reason SW leads the SEC in 3rd down passing. And most of those throws aren't 5 yards or less

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Bird I almost always agree with u. I have to disagree with a few Statements here. SW main weakness is throwing the deep ball and I even think SW would tell you he needs to improve in this area. He is definitely not a runner, he can have a play or two a game where he gets a good run but there is no way he could constantly do this. His arm strength is good on the intermediate routes meaning he can laser the ball in there, but he does lack arm strength on the deeper routes. I am not a coach and really don't know why alot of his deep balls seem to float on him. He definitely needs to improve on throwing the deep ball. Now he is a solid qb. I dint think he will ever be a superstar type qb who can win games for us. As long as he does not turn the ball over and manages the game we can win. If he can play like he did against LSU which I remind everyone has one of the best defenses and secondaries in the country the rest of the year we can beat anyone on our schedule. 

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Bird I almost always agree with u. I have to disagree with a few Statements here. SW main weakness is throwing the deep ball and I even think SW would tell you he needs to improve in this area. He is definitely not a runner, he can have a play or two a game where he gets a good run but there is no way he could constantly do this. His arm strength is good on the intermediate routes meaning he can laser the ball in there, but he does lack arm strength on the deeper routes. I am not a coach and really don't know why alot of his deep balls seem to float on him. He definitely needs to improve on throwing the deep ball. Now he is a solid qb. I dint think he will ever be a superstar type qb who can win games for us. As long as he does not turn the ball over and manages the game we can win. If he can play like he did against LSU which I remind everyone has one of the best defenses and secondaries in the country the rest of the year we can beat anyone on our schedule. 

Not anyone. LSU has a great defense that goes along with a piss poor offense. Against Ole miss and against Alabama, we WILL have to score TDs. I also think SW has proven he doesn't have a lack of arm strength. One of his deep balls in the LSU game, the WR definitely miss played. The other one sailed over Stevens. If anything, he needs to work on accuracy with the deep ball.

Just now, bigbird said:

So blame the coaches for running it 80% on 1st

Blame the coaching for not having balance.

There is a reason SW leads the SEC in 3rd down passing. And most of those throws aren't 5 yards or less

I would blame the coaching staff but again, I'm not in their headsets to hear why they don't want SW throwing the ball. If the staff needs to be fired, so be it. Something has to be changed. 

We have the second worst redzone TD rate in the whole country. Do you people not get that? Even if we have five drops a game, we shouldn't be that low. 

I Agree he needs to work his deep ball accuracy, but, to me, that's not an arm strength issue. If it were, he would be under throwing balls and you'd see receivers having to break back or stop for the ball.  For the most part, his deep ball issues have been overthrows. As far as him not being a superstar, there aren't many that are. If Gus utilized his receivers, used non PA passing and would have a 65/35 run pass balance then he would be very dangerous.

Jeffery, why is it Sean's fault and not anyone else about the TD rate. Especially when 85-95% of the plays are not passes.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I Agree he needs to work his deep ball accuracy, but, to me, that's not an arm strength issue. If it were, he would be under throwing balls and you'd see receivers having to break back or stop for the ball.  For the most part, his deep ball issues have been overthrows. As far as him not being a superstar, there aren't many that are. If Gus utilized his receivers, used non PA passing and would have a 65/35 run pass balance then he would be very dangerous.

Jeffery, why is it Sean's fault and not anyone else about the TD rate. Especially when 85-95% of the plays are not passes.

You're extremely dense if you see the above post and think I'm blaming SW. I merely said something had to change, whether it be the coaching staff or the playbook, or the QB, birdy.

Besides, if the coaches felt that they couldn't trust SW in the redzone, and if that was the reason they run it 85% of the time, then I still blame it on the staff for not getting a competent QB that can command their confidence. 

12 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

he does lack arm strength on the deeper routes. 

Maybe if you're comparing him to Nick Marshall.

As Stat pointed out, Sean is more accurate on deep throws than Cam was. Doesn't make his last name Manning, but this "he can't throw the deep ball" concept is bizarre to me. Almost as bizarre as saying that our red zone problems have all been his fault. Yes, the dude who still only has about half a full season's worth of healthy starts under his belt has made some mistakes. Imagine that. 

Archived