Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

40 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore

What?   That is ridiculous....70+% completion last night against a good defense... and some dropped passes......when have we had someone doing that at QB? .  He's second in the SEC in completion percentage.     I recall when the goal was to get Nick up to 65% which did not happen.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

What?   That is ridiculous....70+% completion last night against a good defense... and some dropped passes......when have we had someone doing that at QB? .  He's second in the SEC in completion percentage.     I recall when the goal was to get Nick up to 65% which did not happen.

Do NOT even try to compare SW to NM. SW is a very good ballplayer in his own right, NM is not a throwing QB. However, NM got the job done in many different ways. He single handily beat Tennessee for us in 2013 from the offensive end.  Don't take pot shots at NM.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do NOT even try to compare SW to NM. SW is a very good ballplayer in his own right, NM is not a throwing QB. However, NM got the job done in many different ways. He single handily beat Tennessee for us in 2013 from the offensive end.  Don't take pot shots at NM.

I'm a big Nick fan....he did a great job for AU and actually was not that bad a passer IMO....did not have enough good receivers...but for a QB to achieve accuracy much over 60% is not that easy in the SEC..  

But to question SW's accuracy?   I don't get the perception of so many people who apparently believe that a QB NEVER misses a pass, never over or under-throws a receiver as if 100% were the norm.....sure that's the goal...but check the stats to see what's realistic. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I'm a big Nick fan....he did a great job for AU and actually was not that bad a passer IMO....did not have enough good receivers...but for a QB to achieve accuracy much over 60% is not that easy in the SEC..  

But to question SW's accuracy?   I don't get the perception of so many people who apparently believe that a QB NEVER misses a pass, never over or under-throws a receiver as if 100% were the norm.....sure that's the goal...but check the stats to see what's realistic. 

I agree with this. SW is very accurate. The stats prove it. I have no idea what that poster is talking about. But did you really have to throw NM under the bus to prove that? I don't get some of you guys. NM was never accused of being an accurate passer. He never won an elite 11 competition. He played DB at the collegiate level. It would've been a nice luxury to have him at 65 % but that is just not his game. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with this. SW is very accurate. The stats prove it. I have no idea what that poster is talking about. But did you really have to throw NM under the bus to prove that? I don't get some of you guys. NM was never accused of being an accurate passer. He never won an elite 11 competition. He played DB at the collegiate level. It would've been a nice luxury to have him at 65 % but that is just not his game. 

I did not throw him under any bus...even the Gus bus....was using him as an example of a highly rated QB and what the conventional wisdom is about QB accuracy....and how hard it is to get there.

Apparently you forget that Nick passed for 4000 yards in Juco the year before he signed with AU.  He did not arrive at AU as a converted DB...he was one of the better JUCO quarterbacks in his class and could be a dangerous passer....who would have benefited from some more reliable receivers. 

SW is good enough to win. He appears to be a good leader as well. The bigger issues with the passing game is our OL (or  maybe more accurately our OL coach) and our route trees. We seriously have a middle school passing game. Watching a few games from the upper deck and watching what our WRs do on most plays...just smh.

In addition to SW's accuracy, which is a given at this point in the season, there are a couple of intangibles that are very strong for him.  First, the guy is a competitor, he wants to win and pushes himself and his team to do just that.  Second, he doesn't make bad decisions.   I haven't seen him try to force anything that's not there, even if it means throwing it away, trying to run or even taking a sack and I think that is really important. 

The LSU defense is no joke, and SW sure too some shots last night. For the life of me, I can't understand why we couldn't stop #49 all night. We need to O line to continue improvement, badly. 

SW is good enough to win with. Gus just has to put him in better positions and we have to get some decent blocking...at every position. Our OL and HB's struggled last night IMO. Arden Key whipped both HB's in one play if I'm not mistaken.  

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I did not throw him under any bus...even the Gus bus....was using him as an example of a highly rated QB and what the conventional wisdom is about QB accuracy....and how hard it is to get there.

Apparently you forget that Nick passed for 4000 yards in Juco the year before he signed with AU.  He did not arrive at AU as a converted DB...he was one of the better JUCO quarterbacks in his class and could be a dangerous passer....who would have benefited from some more reliable receivers. 

JUCO is the key word and NM was never a highly rated QB. He was a 3 star ATH at the JUCO level. He was originally going to go to Arkansas State and then followed Gus to Auburn.

4000 yards? He never in his life threw for 4000 yards. Do you just make things up?

NM stats at GC 18 TDs/20 Interceptions (This was the highest in JUCO) 3142 yards passing, 196/343 with a 57.1 % completion rate. To think that NM could possibly get to 65 % in the SEC, when he couldn't even do it at the JUCO level is mind boggling.  Plus, he had freaking Duke Williams and Sammie Coates. Those guys were pretty dang reliable for NM throughout his tenure at AU. How do you think SW would fare right now if he had Sammie Coates and Duke Williams at wideout?  I think I am done with you.

He is an athlete playing QB. Not a QB.  In fact, he was listed as an athlete in recruitment. 

SW is a legit QB. He is very accurate. Apples to Oranges comparison.

Not to derail the thread anymore. SW is Brandon Allen. He won't lose you games and he won't win you games. Glad to have him at AU. Get behind him.

Sean White did a great job last night managing the offense.  He executed the plays that were called and it seemed the plays fit SW's strengths for the most part.  The drive that really stuck out to me was the one just before half.  Auburn's offense was in the HUNH and it was a KJ run one after the other and you could see the LSU defense getting tired.  We were in full hurry up mode at the goal line and one of LSU's players went down and we had an injury time out.  Without that timeout we score on the next play. This drive did not stress SW's strengths other then to point out his understanding of the offense and the play calling at the time.

I'm hoping that these next couple of weeks we see a better plan going forward solving our red zone issues sticking with SW as the QB in those situations.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

JUCO is the key word and NM was never a highly rated QB. He was a 3 star ATH at the JUCO level. He was originally going to go to Arkansas State and then followed Gus to Auburn.

4000 yards? He never in his life threw for 4000 yards. Do you just make things up?

NM stats at GC 18 TDs/20 Interceptions (This was the highest in JUCO) 3142 yards passing, 196/343 with a 57.1 % completion rate.

He is an athlete playing QB. Not a QB.  In fact, he was listed as an athlete in recruitment. 

SW is a legit QB. He is very accurate. Apples to Oranges comparison.

Not to derail the thread anymore. SW is Brandon Allen. He won't lose you games and he won't win you games. Glad to have him at AU. Get behind him.

Sorry was looking at total offense...so it was only 3000 yards passing.....for a mediocre team.    The point is he had two years of college experience whereas SW has less than a full season at this point.

Otherwise I'm behind whoever is playing QB for AU....I like SW and think most of his critics are unfair....and I look forward to him starting for long enough to truly develop to his potential and likely he's not already planning his NFL career.   JMO it would be good to have the same QB for a few years and SW is good enough to win in the SEC.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore. 

If he is, I don't see it.  He makes very good decisions and is deadly within 20 yards.  Has trouble seeing over the line and connecting on deep balls.

8 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Cox for sure stood in the pocket and took some nasty hits.

I really like Sean too and would like for him to be very successful at Auburn, both on and off the field. 

I've thought that of Sean for a few weeks now.  Reminds me of Brandon - may not win the game by himself but he will manage it and keep the team in until the end.  Also takes monster hits

He played very well, almost great. He's getting better with each game and that's most important....I feel thread like these are set ups though....saying can and Nick didn't stand in the pocket and take licks....it's almost trying to make sw something he's yet to have shown and sooner or later somebody will point it out and then there's an argument. Then there's alot of o line fault and wr drops that will be mentioned then sooner or later somebody will start talking about that. Then there are super hyped people that will start saying how he's better at things than some of the greats....sooner or later that will be an our convo. Lastly there's the throwing some of the best passes I've ever seen which guess what? Somebody will say something and that will lead to a super hyped defender of everything sw.

Thread would go better if everybody would just give him a pat on the back and stop mentioning the greats until he has a resume to compare to the greats. Then there won't be any off tangent arguments and people don't have to say everybody is hating on sw/everybody loves sw.....just let him get better and if he is as great as the last couple we've had wins and stats will show that. Of course that's just my opinion

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If he is, I don't see it.  He makes very good decisions and is deadly within 20 yards.  Has trouble seeing over the line and connecting on deep balls.

That's interesting that people complained about with Nick alot but I haven't seen mentioned and until you said this haven't thought about.  So thinking about that height factor that makes him a little more impressive with what he has to overcome

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

That's interesting that people complained about with Nick alot but I haven't seen mentioned and until you said this haven't thought about.  So thinking about that height factor that makes him a little more impressive with what he has to overcome

True....and does any QB really see "over" a bunch of 6-5 defensive linemen jumping in his face.   From watching games it looks like most QBs look for gaps in the action or make quick passes while the OL and DL are engaged in the struggle along the LOS.    Considering some of the good average sized guys in the NFL and college I'm wondering about the height issue. 

Thus far SW has not had many passes slapped back in his face by defensive players....which tells me he has learned how to deal with the situation. 

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore. 

I don't see any similarities with KF at all...thankfully. I sure don't see any shellshock at all, dude is straight dealing in the pocket. 

If you can't see Sean's talent you are blind. Our o line is the worst in the SEC, period. Let that sink in and then remember he completed over 70% of his passes. Just goes to show what an incompetent boob Malzahn is to even have a QB competition this summer.

Could not agree more with the BIRD..

Sean White is a good QB. If the coaches would start trusting him more, he could really light a fire under our offense.

They have to let Sean read the defenses and not neglect the short passing game. I love to see the long completions down the field as much as anyone, but those throws from 5-15 yards are enough to keep defenses honest.

Where is Chandler Cox? Those short runs needed a lead block from Chandler and these are the situations where Pettway needs to be in, with Chandler in front blocking.

This is certainly not a knock on Kerryon who is dynamic and electric, but we need to keep the massive big guys poundings off of Kerryon.

6 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I don't see any similarities with KF at all...thankfully. I sure don't see any shellshock at all, dude is straight dealing in the pocket. 

Yeah I feel I'll give it to you straight about sw, no fan boy filter but can't even mention him and KF in the same sentence

On our 2nd quarter drive at 9-7, you can see how much that big pass down the left sideline opened up our running game the rest of the way. That's why SW is starting over JF3.

I also agree at this point that SW gives us the best chance to win. He is a competitor and I like his decision making. I just have to remind myself that he does not have a ton of experience and he can only get better. 

7 minutes ago, bikeriderga said:

Could not agree more with the BIRD..

Sean White is a good QB. If the coaches would start trusting him more, he could really light a fire under our offense.

They have to let Sean read the defenses and not neglect the short passing game. I love to see the long completions down the field as much as anyone, but those throws from 5-15 yards are enough to keep defenses honest.

Where is Chandler Cox? Those short runs needed a lead block from Chandler and these are the situations where Pettway needs to be in, with Chandler in front blocking.

This is certainly not a knock on Kerryon who is dynamic and electric, but we need to keep the massive big guys poundings off of Kerryon.

After 3 games the coaches finally put enough faith is SW to stick with him the whole game.  This was huge, IMO.  Even the announcers started the "well it's the 4th Qtr and time to see if JFIII can provide a spark" mantra.  I think now the coaching staff can move forward with a game plan that is more consistent using the strengths of the offense and defense to create a team effort.

I can't believe I am saying this but we need to let him run a little more. He looks like he has learned how to lessen the impact of the tackle. Probably more chance of him getting hurt in the pocket than when he is running. SW is showing what a lot of players said about his toughness. We still need to get the TE more involved even with the run game. Now if we can get the play calling in get we might have a chance to make some serious noise. Defense is playing very well. WDE

Archived