Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

Still in TN? Wait till UT starts playing both halves of their games, then everyone will be about football all the time.

No I'm in Illinois now. Tennessee understood

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Big Jal said:

Have always been a SW fan. It isn't him in the red zone...it's predictable play-calling. 

As far as Sean's accuracy...he has all the throws...except the drop in, in stride deep ball. With that said...Sean commands his team well...they fight with him...and if he has time, he can pick defenses apart. He is an Auburn man through and through, always has been. So...I say all this to say that I agree with those who are seeing Sean grow before our eyes...and I look forward to watching him win some games if he is given the right plays and protection.

All the guys that play for Auburn are Auburn men. Even the ones that aren't good IMO

19 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Where is the back end swipe? I said he played solid. Where in my post did I take any shot at SW?

"....it looked like KD slowed up because he didn't trust that SW had enough arm strength to get him the ball in stride."

'23, from my perspective, you've been pumping  JFIII and taking backhanded swipes at Sean since before the season started. That's my perception. It may be wrong, but that's what it is. And it's not so much what you posted that I responded to as it is the cumulative effect.

As far as KD trusting Sean to get the ball downfield, you and I and anyone else that's paid attention knows for a stone cold fact that Sean can sling it 50+ yards without having to load up/wind up with all his might. I'm reasonably certain that the receivers know this as well.  On the play you referenced, it looked not at all to me as if KD slowed up because he didn't trust SW to get the ball there. What it looked like was that KD first broke slightly the wrong way and then could not recover to catch up to the ball. In other words, a really, really talented true frosh receiver made a slight mistake in a game early in his AU career is what it looked like to me.

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

If he is, I don't see it.  He makes very good decisions and is deadly within 20 yards.  Has trouble seeing over the line and connecting on deep balls.

I wondered if anyone would ever bring that up. His height is a slight handicap. But I love his accuracy,his leadership, and his heart. That kid has a lot of courage on the field.

I thought Sean did a great job last night.  Hopefully, the coaches will call the games to his strengths because I think we can win a lot of games if they do. I love his confidence and I think the rest of the offense does too.

He is a decent game manager type qb that if given time can throw with some accuracy. His biggest problem is that he holds the ball too long at times. That is part of the reason he struggles in the red zone. Plus some of the long developing play calls are to blame. 

He played like he did in the Ark game last year. Very poised. But we still did not score a TD and that is concerning.

And the WR are so hit and miss. They drop balls all the time. First series we go 3-out. Reason? Ocho dropped the ball that hit him in the hands on 3rd and 4. I wish we would play the freshmen more. 

38 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He is a decent game manager type qb that if given time can throw with some accuracy. His biggest problem is that he holds the ball too long at times. That is part of the reason he struggles in the red zone. Plus some of the long developing play calls are to blame. 

He played like he did in the Ark game last year. Very poised. But we still did not score a TD and that is concerning.

And the WR are so hit and miss. They drop balls all the time. First series we go 3-out. Reason? Ocho dropped the ball that hit him in the hands on 3rd and 4. I wish we would play the freshmen more. 

We don't throw it in the red zone? We typically run the ball except on third andlong after the runs get stuffed. We are predictable in the red zone, that's why we struggle

2 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

We don't throw it in the red zone? We typically run the ball except on third andlong after the runs get stuffed. We are predictable in the red zone, that's why we struggle

predictable or not...if a couple guys had made the blocks they were supposed to make we would have been up by another 7 at the half.  Execution is running the play that everyone expects and still making yardage like in the days of Tre. ..which we are not doing.

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Somewhat agree, but SW played better than Peyton Manning ever did in his career last night. Easily a HOF arm, he also has more running ability than B. Sanders... just sayin'

:)

You still don't have anything on a couple lol

i still think franklin gives us the best chance if all we are going to do is run the ball and throw short passes.  surely he can do that. i think we can score more points with him running the read option. we will only be mediocre with white. franklin legs will score touchdowns if you would leave him in.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

What?   That is ridiculous....70+% completion last night against a good defense... and some dropped passes......when have we had someone doing that at QB? .  He's second in the SEC in completion percentage.     I recall when the goal was to get Nick up to 65% which did not happen.

70% is fine. No better. Using nick Marshall as your accuracy poster child doesn't help your argument though. Saying Sean's accuracy over the first few games is not what it has been (essentially his biggest asset historically) is just that and not an outrageous indictment of Sean white.

9 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

i still think franklin gives us the best chance if all we are going to do is run the ball and throw short passes.  surely he can do that. i think we can score more points with him running the read option. we will only be mediocre with white. franklin legs will score touchdowns if you would leave him in.

Have Franklin practice nothing but the red zone offense everyday...short, quick passes, wildcat, zone read, sneaks, whatever.  Inside the 10 yard line give him the ball every time.

15 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I think the redzone issues are on the o-line not SW.

No our collective redzone issues are not on the O line any more than SW. 

8 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sean's report cards before this season included a very accurate arm. Whether he is getting Khiel Frazier-like shellshock and starting to hear footsteps every play or whatever, his accuracy is  obviously not a given anymore. 

Come again???? 19 of 26 for 234 yards is accuracy problems when there were at least 4 dropped passes??  There is no issue with his accuracy other than not being perfect (which you must expect given your statement after the game he just played). There are red zone issues but that's a team issue (play calling) not just a SW issue. 

5 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Come again???? 19 of 26 for 234 yards is accuracy problems when there were at least 4 dropped passes??  There is no issue with his accuracy other than not being perfect (which you must expect given your statement after the game he just played). There are red zone issues but that's a team issue (play calling) not just a SW issue. 

Good response @FoundationEagle. Glad someone is using sound logic.

11 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

most of the completions are wide open short passes yand screens. when he throws down field or has to fit a ball in to a receiver he is very inconsistant. he doesnt know how to fit a ball in to a covered receiver or cant spot him getting seperation before it happens

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

19 of 26 and two dropped passes would have been 21 of 26. Nobody throws a perfectly accurate pass every time. but if 21 of 26 were good enough to have been caught or dropped that is pretty accurate. I only saw two really bad passes.  I am not sure what game you were watching if you don't think he was accurate..  He threw one pass to Steven's that dropped over defenders hands and Stevens then caught and fell that was a big gain but could have been an even bigger gain if Steven's had kept his footing.. That pass had to be perfect and it was.

23 of 26 were good enough to be caught.  2 were broken up by defenders and 1 was thrown away when no one was open. He had 2 off target passes.

49 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I think the redzone issues are on the o-line not SW.

A little of  that and some play calling, too. We sure ran up the middle A LOT in the red zone. Of course, since our receivers aren't blocking, we've got nothing on the edges.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

23 of 26 were good enough to be caught.  2 were broken up by defenders and 1 was thrown away when no one was open. He had 2 off target passes.

Ah ha! Two off target passes?  So his detractors are correct. Sean White's accuracy is going down the toilet! :devil:;)

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

"....it looked like KD slowed up because he didn't trust that SW had enough arm strength to get him the ball in stride."

'23, from my perspective, you've been pumping  JFIII and taking backhanded swipes at Sean since before the season started. That's my perception. It may be wrong, but that's what it is. And it's not so much what you posted that I responded to as it is the cumulative effect.

As far as KD trusting Sean to get the ball downfield, you and I and anyone else that's paid attention knows for a stone cold fact that Sean can sling it 50+ yards without having to load up/wind up with all his might. I'm reasonably certain that the receivers know this as well.  On the play you referenced, it looked not at all to me as if KD slowed up because he didn't trust SW to get the ball there. What it looked like was that KD first broke slightly the wrong way and then could not recover to catch up to the ball. In other words, a really, really talented true frosh receiver made a slight mistake in a game early in his AU career is what it looked like to me.

I am not saying anything bad about SW. I want to win and we won. I have pumped JF3 but that does not mean I don't like SW.  I do like SW and think he is a good qb. I have been told Rod said the same thing on the radio that I said about KD and the throw. That is not a knock on SW. SW strengths are with short and intermediate throws this is a fact. His accuracy is very good on these throws. He does need to improve on his deep ball. We won and look like we are improving. Now is there room for more improvement  in all areas including qb YES there always is.

Archived