Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

9 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

I would love to see him succeed but he has started games over 2 seasons and the offense has not just produced consistently. The offensive line was not good versus Clemson or A&M so they hold some of the blame. Some were ready to tar and feather JJ after starting less games than Sean has.

That right there is what I call non sequitur reasoning.  Sean has never looked like a deer in the headlights and he hasn't been chunking the ball straight to opposing d-backs and linebackers either.  Sean played very well last season prior to injury. He was not the same QB once he could no longer plant and had his mobility cut to essentially nothing.  Tell ya what...go read StatTiger on this board. Check his "Upon Further Review" post for sure.

On edit...

Stat was kind enough to take the time to reply to some questions I had. See what he has to say about SW.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

That right there is what I call non sequitur reasoning.  Sean has never looked like a deer in the headlights and he hasn't been chunking the ball straight to opposing d-backs and linebackers either.  Sean played very well last season prior to injury. He was not the same QB once he could no longer plant and had his mobility cut to essentially nothing.  Tell ya what...go read StatTiger on this board. Check his "Upon Further Review" post for sure.

On edit...

Stat was kind enough to take the time to reply to some questions I had. See what he has to say about SW.

I see you have a particular fondness for SW. I hope you enjoy it. I like SW too. However, If and/when Stidham gets here, SW days will be numbered as starter.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I see you have a particular fondness for SW. I hope you enjoy it. I like SW too. However, If and/when Stidham gets here, SW days will be numbered as starter.

Hey, I admit it. I do have a fondness for Sean White. I have since AU signed him. And last season when JJ became the starter I was tickled when Trent Dilfer said "They picked the wrong guy" though I sure as heck rooted for JJ to be successful.  To me the kid has moxie, and he's a very accurate passer, the best I have seen at AU in that regard in a while. I really think that with these young receivers, the highest rated group of incoming wide receiver frosh in the land as I recall, that if the coaches will build around White's strengths in the passing game he may not let go of the starting reins (barring injury) until he graduates.

I know a lot of folks think Stidham walks in and takes over. I am not one of them. It could happen, but the other thing that could happen is that we have a real winner as a starter already and coaches decide to stick with what works. Regardless, Stidham ain't here, and I really doubt he ever will be. Reckon we'll see what happens if he does wind up at AU.  (Also, do not forget about Woody or Tyler.)

I don't understand why having the read-option offense is what defines Auburn Football according to some fans. More importantly...if Gus can't adapt the playbook to make us a more balanced offense (instead of a "play action" offense), then why did he offer a scholarship to Sean? 

I'll tell you why...according to these stats he's #2 in completion percentage, #4 in YPA, #6 in QBR in the SEC. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completionPct/id/8

6 minutes ago, jknighton said:

I don't understand why having the read-option offense is what defines Auburn Football according to some fans. More importantly...if Gus can't adapt the playbook to make us a more balanced offense (instead of a "play action" offense), then why did he offer a scholarship to Sean? 

I'll tell you why...according to these stats he's #2 in completion percentage, #4 in YPA, #6 in QBR in the SEC. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completionPct/id/8

What's his rank for total touchdowns? And let's not pretend that this stat doesn't matter for a QB. This isn't Golf where the lowest score wins.    Yards keep the defense rested but points on the board wins games.

Tied at #11...and that stat definitely matters, but he also has only 1 INT, so we're talking about someone getting only what the defense gives him. How many times has he been sacked/pressured? Who's calling the plays? These are also things you take into consideration. If the OLine isn't giving him time to throw, then how can he throw TD's? If Gus/Rhett aren't trusting him in the RZ how can he throw TD's? 

I'm not saying let's crown him QB until he graduates/moves on, but for God's sake give credit where it's due! How many points would we have scored without Sean moving the ball against LSU? Last I recall he had more yards than our wonderful read-option running game.

10 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I disagree. Sean is nowhere near Trevor Knight in that department. Sure, he can get a few yards here and there when things break down, but he is not built to run. Knight is much bigger and a bit faster. As far as Zone Read goes....why force something that just isn't there? Sean has other qualities that serve us better than to send him out there to get hurt trying to run ZR. 

I agree that Sean is not a ZR option runner but has other valuable assets.  I do think he needed to keep it a few more times than he did against LSU; around the end more so than up the middle. I think he needs to keep 5-10 times a game on average...possibly more if it is a true read but never be the leading ball carrier. He needs to be just enough of a threat that they have to respect the possibility of him running.

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Since we haven't seen much of Franklin, what makes you draw that conclusion?  He's played extremely limited snaps and barely even been allowed to throw the ball, yet you blindly think he's a better option?     It's amazing how many people here think they know more than the coaches do.

thats what franklin does is run. if you noticed what i said. if we are going to run the ball 75percent of the time he is better fitted to that. i also stated they havnt given him a chance in consecutive plays to show what he can do. i havnt seen much out of white. franklin can run like a deer and if he gets some space hes gone. anyways its all good we will end up 6-6. last or next to last in west and start over next year hoping we find a qb. ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS GUS IS PLAYING THE SAFE CHOICE FOR RUNNING THE OFFENSE EVEN THOUGH HE ISNT THE MOST TALENTED OR HAVE MUCH OF A CHANCE FOR EXPLOSIVE PLAYS. the good news is we have more depth of average qbs in the nation

5 minutes ago, jknighton said:

If Gus/Rhett aren't trusting him in the RZ how can he throw TD's? 

I've been trying to get this question answered today. If SW is more than capable of delivering in the RZ, then why doesn't our coaches trust him to unleash him? What is their reasoning for it in other words. 

47 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Because the read-option offense took us to the 2013 NC game, averaged 39.5 PPG IN 2013 & 35.5 PPG in 2014 with it.  Also, the team moved the ball. SW didn't do it by himself. Too many SW fans around here. KJ led in Receiving and Rushing yards, but SW did it all by himself SMH.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I've been trying to get this question answered today. If SW is more than capable of delivering in the RZ, then why doesn't our coaches trust him to unleash him? What is their reasoning for it in other words. 

Maybe because RZ opportunities have been few and far between, so the staff would rather settle for 3 than take the chance of throwing an INT? Your guess is as good as mine.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hey, I admit it. I do have a fondness for Sean White. I have since AU signed him. And last season when JJ became the starter I was tickled when Trent Dilfer said "They picked the wrong guy" though I sure as heck rooted for JJ to be successful.  To me the kid has moxie, and he's a very accurate passer, the best I have seen at AU in that regard in a while. I really think that with these young receivers, the highest rated group of incoming wide receiver frosh in the land as I recall, that if the coaches will build around White's strengths in the passing game he may not let go of the starting reins (barring injury) until he graduates.

I know a lot of folks think Stidham walks in and takes over. I am not one of them. It could happen, but the other thing that could happen is that we have a real winner as a starter already and coaches decide to stick with what works. Regardless, Stidham ain't here, and I really doubt he ever will be. Reckon we'll see what happens if he does wind up at AU.  (Also, do not forget about Woody or Tyler.)

I hope you are 110 % wrong about that.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

get use to it. we will play for field goals all year long. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because did read-option offense took us to the 2013 NC game, averaged 39.5 PPG IN 2013 & 35.5 PPG in 2014 with it.  Also, the team moved the ball. SW didn't do it by himself. Too many SW fans around here.

You're right, but like I said earlier...Gus knew SW wasn't a DT QB, so why did he recruit him. If Gus wants to succeed in ANY level of football, he will have to adapt to his surroundings. Les Miles didn't and now he's sitting in the unemployment line.

Best case scenario for the coming years are Woody Barrett turns out becoming a true DT QB who can complete 65% of his passes and runs the read option flawlessly, but until then Sean is apparently the best we have, so our coaches need to build the offense around him.

6 minutes ago, jknighton said:

You're right, but like I said earlier...Gus knew SW wasn't a DT QB, so why did he recruit him. If Gus wants to succeed in ANY level of football, he will have to adapt to his surroundings. Les Miles didn't and now he's sitting in the unemployment line.

Best case scenario for the coming years are Woody Barrett turns out becoming a true DT QB who can complete 65% of his passes and runs the read option flawlessly, but until then Sean is apparently the best we have, so our coaches need to build the offense around him.

That is the million dollar question. Guess what? Gus hasn't been recruiting players with the skillset of SW since. He has been going hard for DT-QBs. I also I believe for this year at least, Gus has conceded and realize he can win by running the ball, playing field position and letting the defense control the game. I am of the belief that he is going hard after Stidham (who threw for 68% as a true freshman) and vying his time this year.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the million dollar question. Guess what? Gus hasn't been recruiting players with the skillset of SW since. He has been going hard for DT-QBs. I also I believe for this year at least, Gus has conceded and realize he can win by running the ball, playing field position and letting the defense control the game. I am of the belief that he is going hard after Stidham (who threw for 68% as a true freshman) and vying his time this year.

Gus maybe going hard after Stidham, but if LSU get Art Briles, Kendall isn't coming to AU.  If Kendall doesn't come, neither does Stidham.  Everything is speculation right now, but Les being fired puts everything in play.

22 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Maybe because RZ opportunities have been few and far between, so the staff would rather settle for 3 than take the chance of throwing an INT? Your guess is as good as mine.

RZ opportunities overall haven't been few and far between. This has been a problem that stretches back to last year. Remember against Ole Miss when we made four trips to the red zone and couldn't come up with anything? 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don't get me wrong...I'm a fan of SW, because most fans thought Sean would never start here, and he has done well considering he's out of his element in this offense and his toughness has been impressive. However I believe like everyone that with a true DT QB, then we will get back to competing for the SEC West.

With that said, I would like to see our offense evolve into a more balanced offense instead of a read-option, play-action offense.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus maybe going hard after Stidham, but if LSU get Art Briles, Kendall isn't coming to AU.  If Kendall doesn't come, neither does Stidham.  Everything is speculation right now, but Les being fired puts everything in play.

I am thinking LSU wants Herman more than anything. At least their fanbase does very badly. I haven't heard too much about Briles. Basically, we need to be hoping that KB and Stidham make it to AU next year.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because the read-option offense took us to the 2013 NC game, averaged 39.5 PPG IN 2013 & 35.5 PPG in 2014 with it.  Also, the team moved the ball. SW didn't do it by himself. Too many SW fans around here. KJ led in Receiving and Rushing yards, but SW did it all by himself SMH.

Why are you being so disingenuous? Not a single person in a single post I have seen has come anywhere within light years of claiming that SW did it by himself. If you think they have, then pretend I'm from Missouri and show me.  In fact, just the opposite has been true. It's a team game.

No QB wins by themselves. No QB loses by themselves, It's the adage that the QB gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when they lose.

Hey, you know what else? 2016 is not 2013 or 2014. That QB is gone. That OL is gone. And teams have learned to defend the read option much better than they did a few years ago. How about live in the present and not the past?

Just now, DAG said:

I am thinking LSU wants Herman more than anything. At least their fanbase does very badly. I haven't heard too much about Briles. Basically, we need to be hoping that KB and Stidham make it to AU next year.

LSU talent with a high octane offense is scary. We're in trouble if LSU gets either one of them

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

RZ opportunities overall haven't been few and far between. This has been a problem that stretches back to last year. Remember against Ole Miss when we made four trips to the red zone and couldn't come up with anything? 

Like I said...Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know how Sean looks during practice in the RZ. Maybe he's a hot mess when he has a short field in front of him? Unfortunately the staff is afraid to let him throw inside the 10, but hopefully it improves quickly.

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Why are you being so disingenuous? Not a single person in a single post I have seen has come anywhere within light years of claiming that SW did it by himself. If you think they have, then pretend I'm from Missouri and show me.  In fact, just the opposite has been true. It's a team game.

No QB wins by themselves. No QB loses by themselves, It's the adage that the QB gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when they lose.

Hey, you know what else? 2016 is not 2013 or 2014. That QB is gone. That OL is gone. And teams have learned to defend the read option much better than they did a few years ago. How about live in the present and not the past?

Hey jackwagon, I know it is not 2013, 2014. A poster asked why do so many people want to associate AU with the read option. I said because we were very successful with it and it took us to the NC in 2013.

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

51 minutes ago, jknighton said:

Tied at #11...and that stat definitely matters, but he also has only 1 INT, so we're talking about someone getting only what the defense gives him. How many times has he been sacked/pressured? Who's calling the plays? These are also things you take into consideration. If the OLine isn't giving him time to throw, then how can he throw TD's? If Gus/Rhett aren't trusting him in the RZ how can he throw TD's? 

I'm not saying let's crown him QB until he graduates/moves on, but for God's sake give credit where it's due! How many points would we have scored without Sean moving the ball against LSU? Last I recall he had more yards than our wonderful read-option running game.

How is Missouri?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

LSU talent with a high octane offense is scary. We're in trouble if LSU gets either one of them

I know...which is why we better get it together. You are going to have to score actually TDs to win this divison.

Archived