Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

He deserves all the credit. He may also deserve the other parts too, but every mistake is coaching, play calling, o line, or wr's....But yes the way he played against lsu, can't take that away from him

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SW did have a good game. Can't take that away from him. I do agree with Cole is that to some it seems that nothing is his fault; always play calling, or recv, or oline. I thought he did a much better job extending plays and moving in the pocket this week. It resulted in some nice completions. He seems to be late on some reads sometimes and hopefully that will get better with experience especially since he does not particularly have a quick a release.  There were 2 glaring misses this past week that both could have been scores. One was the open receiver that he over threw. It's going to happen so at least we are trying to stretch the field. The other was he made a bad read. He threw to an out receiver when the deep receiver was wide open by 10 yds down the field. Both receivers were on the same side of the field, so I would have thought the first read was the deep guy an the guy on the out route was the check down.

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

I owe lion an apology. Cleco is on another level

Yeah he is on SW d pretty hard. Now he won't get off mine since I already caught him in one lie.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not necessarily....some folks here have a talent for twisting a comment to suit their agenda or purpose....the nature of this forum...and maybe all open forums of this type?

Fair enough. Reckon what I said about "the meaning of communication being the response that you get" relies on open and honest discourse without twists of agenda and purpose.  I've just not had much of an issue with this here at AU Family previously.  And in the instance that led to my comment. I'm thinking that was just an honest misunderstanding that led to some frustration.  But hey, it's a bright new day. Onward! :big:

"You know that the Lord is a Tiger too,
'cause the sun is orange, and the sky is blue!"

:wareagle:

20 hours ago, bikeriderga said:

I know you were being sarcastic, but a lot of truth in that statement I am willing to wager.

They are TRUE FRESHMEN, The talent is there, but the ends and outs aren't quite there yet,

I value blocking don't get me wrong but i mostly value a WR that can actually catch the ball first. Sitting very good talent on the bench b/c he's not a premier blocker is a problem for me. Maybe if we didn't call so many 2-3 yard WR screens they could see the field. Give me guys like Kyle, Slayton, NCM and Stove that will go up and get the ball for our QB. I'm not for sloppy blocking but again...there job is to CATCH the ball. 

Plus, i don't think we can say what they are or are not ready for at this point b/c we have not given them a chance to see if they can or can't. Just b/c they're not seeing the field doesn't automatically mean they're not there yet. 

21 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

gus is playing it safe and it worked last night. if we get behind in a game were done. all i am saying is he hasnt given franklin much of a shot in a game to show what he can do. and franklin gives us a better shot if we are going to be a run first team

I don't have an issue with SW as our starter but i agree 100% in that we're playing it way too safe with SW and the offense. It's like Gus trusts none of his guys on offense...like REALLY trust them. The players he does fully trust really have not shown much to be worthy of that trust. That's why at this point i don't fully TRUST his judgement when it comes to him saying certain players are not "ready." Being that his evaluation of players is questionable how can we really believe he knows if a player is ready or not? Clearly our practices are not a very good indication if some are ready and some are not. I get being careful but loosen it up for SW a little i think the kid has proven that he is consistent enough to handle situations. 

19 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Sean is still only a redshirt sophomore and has a lot of time to grow as a player.  I think having JF3 run zone read inside the 10 could be beneficial.   Unfortunately for JF3 I think he's 3rd or possible 4th on the depth chart as far as being a passer.  I could see Woody being 2nd team starting next season and possibly starting by the end of the season if the offense continues to be average.  All that talk is meaningless until Woody makes a play in a real college football game.

Unfortunately for Woody if all goes as planned Jarrett Stidham will be our starter next year. Now he would likely only be here 2 years because kid is very good and will be a sure fire NFL prospect. However, with those 2 years that would make Joey Gatewood a RS freshman or true sophomore when Stidham left. If Stidham stayed all 3 years that would make Joey a 3rd year guy. I am not saying all hope is lost for Woody but if we get Stidham which is looking very good Woody could end up getting passed over due to the talent we would have at the qb position. However, Urban Mayer was after Woody and I would trust his opinion on high school qbs over anyone in the country. I just think Gatewood has Cam like ability, and speaking of Meyer he is after Gatewood also.

31 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Unfortunately for Woody if all goes as planned Jarrett Stidham will be our starter next year. Now he would likely only be here 2 years because kid is very good and will be a sure fire NFL prospect. However, with those 2 years that would make Joey Gatewood a RS freshman or true sophomore when Stidham left. If Stidham stayed all 3 years that would make Joey a 3rd year guy. I am not saying all hope is lost for Woody but if we get Stidham which is looking very good Woody could end up getting passed over due to the talent we would have at the qb position. However, Urban Mayer was after Woody and I would trust his opinion on high school qbs over anyone in the country. I just think Gatewood has Cam like ability, and speaking of Meyer he is after Gatewood also.

It's only September

17 hours ago, jknighton said:

Surely you don't believe we'd have been better off without SW? Who's the QB if not SW? Franklin? If he was capable, he'd be starting.

the coachs like franklins ability better then white but white is the safe choice to run a basic offense with little mistakes. franklin is raw and hasn't had a lot of time with team but brings much more to the offense if he can get his act together and get a chance. you are seeing a lot of problems in the red zone because of whites limited ability and in the pocket. this offense is missing a true dual threat qb and it would be bad ass.

5 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

the coachs like franklins ability better then white but white is the safe choice to run a basic offense with little mistakes. franklin is raw and hasn't had a lot of time with team but brings much more to the offense if he can get his act together and get a chance. you are seeing a lot of problems in the red zone because of whites limited ability and in the pocket. this offense is missing a true dual threat qb and it would be bad ass.

Laughable doesn't even start to describe this.

The coaches like the idea of JF3, but he has proven so far he can't handle the job. Hasn't been with the team for long? Spring...summer...and fall. Basically an entire year of football and he still can't grasp the offense or prove reliable with the ball. And to blame Sean for the RZ problems is stupid. It's Sean that calls a dive 4 straight times isn't it? Its Sean that drops ball that hit his hands, right? Its Sean that forgets an A-gap backer, huh? It's Sean that chose to run through the wrong open gap and gets stuffed, right? How many times in the RZ was a pass called?  Otherwise, all Sean does is rely on his team to run and execute the play.  

There was the play where we rolled Sean left and Hastings was smothered in the flats, but he might have been able to fit the flag to the deep corner, but we didn't block Key and Sean ate the play. You know what, because of that decision we were still able to get 3. What if he had forced it and they picked it? How would y'all react? As a coach, he made the right play.

I've said he missed a few passes, but he is by far the best QB we have. Period. It not Franklin and to think so is delusional. So your job has been told is on the line, so what do you do...play the 2nd best QB! Yeah, that seems probable.

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The coaches like the idea of JF3, but he has proven so far he can't handle the job. Hasn't been with the team for long? Spring...summer...and fall. Basically an entire year of football and he still can't grasp the offense or prove reliable with the ball. And to blame Sean for the RZ problems is stupid. It's Sean that calls a dive 4 straight times isn't it? Its Sean that drops ball that hit his hands, right? Its Sean that forgets an A-gap backer, huh? It's Sean that chose to run through the wrong open gap and gets stuffed, right? How many times in the RZ was a pass called?  Otherwise, all Sean does is rely on his team to run and execute the play.  

There was the play where we rolled Sean left and Hastings was smothered in the flats, but he might have been able to fit the flag to the deep corner, but we didn't block Key and Sean ate the play. You know what, because of that decision we were still able to get 3. What if he had forced it and they picked it? How would y'all react? As a coach, he made the right play.

I've said he missed a few passes, but he is by far the best QB we have. Period. It not Franklin and to think so is delusional. So your job has been told is on the line, so what do you do...play the 2nd best QB! Yeah, that seems probable.

I agree SW is the best we have. Which is unfortunate. Still, quit pointing fingers at others just because SW is your boy. You touch on every mistake in the redzone  except for the pass that soared over Stevens head which would've resulted in six. That's all that needs to be said. Everybody else is expected to be perfect but Sean. When has Sean ever thrown a TD in the redzone in conference play? And don't tell me, "it's because Gus doesnt trust him enough to open up the playbook." Because that doesn't help your case at all. Actually hinders it...

28 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

I agree with your points but obviously there are more in the know about the QB situation/playing time/ability. SW is serviceable to get us through this year. we may win 6-7 games but that's mostly from the defense keeping us in the game. after this year we'll have JFIII with a year under his belt, Woody, and possibly Stidham. Nobody is questioning SW's toughness. running game couldn't get going last game cause SW is not a threat to run the ball. that'll work against Ark St and Louisiana Monroe but against SEC defenses I don't see it happening.  

40 minutes ago, alabamabrown14 said:

I agree with your points but obviously there are more in the know about the QB situation/playing time/ability. SW is serviceable to get us through this year. we may win 6-7 games but that's mostly from the defense keeping us in the game. after this year we'll have JFIII with a year under his belt, Woody, and possibly Stidham. Nobody is questioning SW's toughness. running game couldn't get going last game cause SW is not a threat to run the ball. that'll work against Ark St and Louisiana Monroe but against SEC defenses I don't see it happening.  

The running game couldn't get going because the OL isn't creating the holes. Let's be real about this. It also doesn't help that the same run play is called 3 times in succession. Alot of you all act like , being able to run the football was impossible until the emergence of running QB's. That argument is really getting tiresome. Sean isn't perfect, he's not a runner. He misses some throws, but to blame the lack of a running game on a QB is beyond comprehension. Auburn has rushed the football pretty damn well in the past without a Dual Threat QB. 

21 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

The running game couldn't get going because the OL isn't creating the holes. Let's be real about this. It also doesn't help that the same run play is called 3 times in succession. Alot of you all act like , being able to run the football was impossible until the emergence of running QB's. That argument is really getting tiresome. Sean isn't perfect, he's not a runner. He misses some throws, but to blame the lack of a running game on a QB is beyond comprehension. Auburn has rushed the football pretty damn well in the past without a Dual Threat QB

Oh come on! Be for real man!  If Kenny Irons hadn't had Brandon Cox freezing defenders in their cleats he'd have hardly gained a yard. And what about the fleet of foot Chris Todd's threat to run opening all those running lanes for Ben Tate and Onterrio McCalebb? Heck, go back even further. Without track star Ben Leard in 2000, AU's Rudi Johnson woulda been a dud. Shall I go on? Oh...wait! ;D

(In all seriousness though, a dual threat QB does make it harder on defenses. It's just that the truly great dual threat QB's aren't all that easy to find.)

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree SW is the best we have. Which is unfortunate. Still, quit pointing fingers at others just because SW is your boy. You touch on every mistake in the redzone  except for the pass that soared over Stevens head which would've resulted in six. That's all that needs to be said. Everybody else is expected to be perfect but Sean. When has Sean ever thrown a TD in the redzone in conference play? And don't tell me, "it's because Gus doesnt trust him enough to open up the playbook." Because that doesn't help your case at all. Actually hinders it...

He threw 2 Saturday & Stevens dropped them both.

33 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

He threw 2 Saturday & Stevens dropped them both.

He actually threw three except one was airmailed. Am I doing this right?

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

i said he was raw and has more talent and he hasnt been their as long as white. nothing delusional about that. i also said a true dual threat qb is what this offense is missing. sean white will go down as average qb and sure as hell wont lead us to a championship. he is more like the kind of qb you see at kentucky or vanderbilt. conference usa has better qbs

3 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

i said he was raw and has more talent and he hasnt been their as long as white. nothing delusional about that. i also said a true dual threat qb is what this offense is missing. sean white will go down as a average qb and he sure as hell wont ever take us to a champioship

You drink? If so, I'll bet you a cold beer (just one!) that on at least one of those last two claims about SW you turn out to be wrong. Of course SW has this season and 2 more to play, so it might be a while before we know how this wager turns out. (If I win, I'll settle for a nice pint of properly poured Guinness on draft, or even a Stone Ruination Extra IPA.)

19 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

i will take that bet. he probably wont start next year but you will probably say he helped to a 6-6 season and a win over lsu so he is a legend?

Nah. What I'm saying is the SW is gonna be viewed much like Ben Leard was following the '99 season...when after the '98 season most AU fans wanted Leard to never step foot on the field for AU again. If SW isn't AU's QB for the rest of this season and the starter next season at the least, you win by default.  (I make fair bets. Small ones 'cause I'm too poor for anything else, but fair.)

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree bird. Can't even believe SW getting static at QB. How many QBs have we seen at AU hitting almost 80% 0f their passes and it would be much higher if you add in the drops that were not his fault. But hey, lets be perfectionist, if he misses one or two passes all night then we will complain he is not an SEC QB. SMDH. Some folks should just leave football to others. WDE

35 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree bird. Can't even believe SW getting static at QB. How many QBs have we seen at AU hitting almost 80% 0f their passes and it would be much higher if you add in the drops that were not his fault. But hey, lets be perfectionist, if he misses one or two passes all night then we will complain he is not an SEC QB. SMDH. Some folks should just leave football to others. WDE

After the offensive futility we have seen the  past 16 games, I couldnt care less about a near perfect completion percentage. Give me 12-24 passing, and three touchdowns and call it a day. Just saying.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Guys, football is a TEAM sport. SW may wind up being a great quarterback or he may wind up a terrible one or even somewhere in between. I don't think we know enough right now to make that call. Let's think about where we are, shall we? We have an offensive line with a lot of upperclassmen but that returns only two starters to their original positions (Braden Smith, Alex Kozan). Robert Leff and Xavier Dampeer are both seniors starting for the first time. Austin Golson is on his third position in as many years. Chandler Cox is a sophomore. Kerryon Johnson and Kam Pettway are both sophomores as is SW. Of our current top 6 receivers, all but two are underclassmen (Tony Stevens, Marcus Davis). The talent is there. The experience is not. Not by a long shot. Couple that with the fact that Gus has taken four games (and counting) to figure out just what he wants this offense to look like and I don't think you can make a call on SW as a quarterback just yet. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

After the offensive futility we have seen the  past 16 games, I couldnt care less about a near perfect completion percentage. Give me 12-24 passing, and three touchdowns and call it a day. Just saying.

So you think that SW is the offensive problem ? I think you could put Cam Newton in this offense with the play calling that has happened and you would be losing. I understand some of you think you are very smart and I am not sure why you folks are not already D1 head coaches. I am sorry but most of your comments are just crazy. If Gus truly though JF3 was the answer he would be playing him. Do you really think that Gus would risk his reputation or his multi-million dollar job on someone he did not believe in ?  Everyone I have heard from that is involved closely and knowingly has said that SW was our best QB at this point. I have even heard at this point that WB maybe actually moving up to the #2 position. My guess right now is that if SW went out with injury you would actually see JJ at this point. Those things should tell you where we are at. JF3 is an amazing athlete but SW is the better QB at this point.So lets move on and support SW, and hope the play calling gets better. WDE

13 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So you think that SW is the offensive problem ? I think you could put Cam Newton in this offense with the play calling that has happened and you would be losing. I understand some of you think you are very smart and I am not sure why you folks are not already D1 head coaches. I am sorry but most of your comments are just crazy. If Gus truly though JF3 was the answer he would be playing him. Do you really think that Gus would risk his reputation or his multi-million dollar job on someone he did not believe in ?  Everyone I have heard from that is involved closely and knowingly has said that SW was our best QB at this point. I have even heard at this point that WB maybe actually moving up to the #2 position. My guess right now is that if SW went out with injury you would actually see JJ at this point. Those things should tell you where we are at. JF3 is an amazing athlete but SW is the better QB at this point.So lets move on and support SW, and hope the play calling gets better. WDE

You say that most of my comments are crazy but then you write a huge paragraph about JF3. Have you ever seen me push for JF3 to start? SW is clearly our guy. If saying that I'd like to see touchdowns automatically puts me in the JF3 camp, then maybe I should be there. ?

Archived