Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You drink? If so, I'll bet you a cold beer (just one!) that on at least one of those last two claims about SW you turn out to be wrong. Of course SW has this season and 2 more to play, so it might be a while before we know how this wager turns out. (If I win, I'll settle for a nice pint of properly poured Guinness on draft, or even a Stone Ruination Extra IPA.)

Can I get in on this game? I'll take it one step further. He won't get drafted by an NFL team when he graduates.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, cole256 said:

He deserves all the credit. He may also deserve the other parts too, but every mistake is coaching, play calling, o line, or wr's....But yes the way he played against lsu, can't take that away from him

Uncanny isn't it?

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Can I get in on this game? I'll take it one step further. He won't get drafted by an NFL team when he graduates.

Big risk taker are you?  :-\

Guest WarEagleSteve
12 hours ago, cole256 said:

He deserves all the credit. He may also deserve the other parts too, but every mistake is coaching, play calling, o line, or wr's....But yes the way he played against lsu, can't take that away from him

As always, the answer is somewhere in between. I think what we're seeing is one big feedback loop. The team is talented but inexperienced so Gus doesn't trust them as much. Because he doesn't trust them as much he takes fewer chances. Because Gus takes fewer chances, SW is under pressure to make the most of the few chances he gets. Because he's under that pressure, he makes mistakes/doesn't hit quite enough big plays/score touchdowns. Because he doesn't hit those big plays, Gus has to get "creative" (you know what I mean) to try to score points. This "creativity" makes it harder to settle on an identity for the offense. Because the offense lack an identity, young players don't gel within the offense. Because they don't gel, Gus doesn't trust them and we're right back where we started. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

As always, the answer is somewhere in between. I think what we're seeing is one big feedback loop. The team is talented but inexperienced so Gus doesn't trust them as much. Because he doesn't trust them as much he takes fewer chances. Because Gus takes fewer chances, SW is under pressure to make the most of the few chances he gets. Because he's under that pressure, he makes mistakes/doesn't hit quite enough big plays/score touchdowns. Because he doesn't hit those big plays, Gus has to get "creative" (you know what I mean) to try to score points. This "creativity" makes it harder to settle on an identity for the offense. Because the offense lack an identity, young players don't gel within the offense. Because they don't gel, Gus doesn't trust them and we're right back where we started. 

Then it's a good thing that Gus has turned over play calling to Lashlee I think. 'cause Lashlee wants to make a name for himself and be known as his own man and not a mere appendage of Gus I think, and because based on what I saw against LSU, Lashlee does have some trust in these young guns.  Red zone woes are about to end.

Why is all the back and forth still going on about SW and JF3. Here are the facts SW is the best option that we have at qb at the moment.  We won't be able to win any of the bigger games down the schedule like Ole Miss or alabama without scoring tds though.   The playcalling has to improve inside the redzone. They have to call plays SW can succeed with inside the red zone.  And when we get the ball inside the 5 give the damn ball to KP. Why we run a 4 wr set with KJ in the wildcat on 4th and 1 when everyone knows KJ will run the ball is unbelievable. Line up run KP and let him bull doze into the endzone.

As of now things are looking good to get Stidham so I fully expect him to be our starting qb next season.

8 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Why is all the back and forth still going on about SW and JF3.

'Cause this is a message board where people share their opinions and debate endlessly would be my guess. 

16 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

'Cause this is a message board where people share their opinions and debate endlessly would be my guess. 

The facts are facts. JF3 fits our offense better. Sean White has yet to throw a td against a quality opponent. SW needs to improve his deep ball. JF3 has not gotten enough of the offense down yet and can only run a certain number of plays atm.  JF3 is not a very good passer.  SW does not have great arm strength. These are sone facts. Once again I am not a SW hater but some people don't want to debate facts. SW needs to be a game manager and not turn the ball over. He does need to get the team in the end zone though. 

Also forgot to add in last post we can win with SW being a game manager. We have 2 very good rbs. If our Oline can continue to improve we can win alot of games down the stretch. We faced the 2 best pass rushers in the league in Garrett and Key. Allen is very good but these two are the best at getting to the qb. If SW can play like he did against LSU from here on out we have a chance at beating anyone left on the schedule. That is of course assuming our wr quit dropping td passes and cut down on drops in general and we can get inside the endzone and stop the bs playcalling like KJ wildcat run on 4th and 1 at the goal line.

26 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

You have a bad habit of confusing your opinion with facts.  And "our offense"? Are you one of those folks that think "our offense" is predicated on the zone read? As far as JFIII fitting better, a kid that can't learn the playbook and who does not see the field does not fit better at all.  Don't mean to be contentious here, but how about dropping this habit you've developed of trying to tell others what "the facts" are? It almost feels like you want to control the convo as the ultimate authority or shut the convo down entirely. Regardless, I can think for myself and what you call "facts" are what I call a broken record of opinion.

Oh yeah....as far as SW throwing TD's against a quality opponent in the red zone, it's still early. And while passes that hit the receivers in the hands in the end zone that they drop are not TD's, the drops are not on the QB that delivered 'em.

You were beating the JFIII drum pretty loudly before the season started. Weren't you more or less telling everyone that he would be the starter at one point? I may be mistaken, but it seems that you were. And yet...the young man who has been here since spring can't learn the playbook? Runs out of bounds short of a first down on 4th down because he isn't even aware of down and distance or time? Nah...I don't believe he fits "our offense" better. He may have fit the offense of 2013 and 14 better, but this ain't that offense.

Dude this is not a debate on JF3 or SW. SW has not thrown a td against a quality opponent inside the redzone or outside the redzone. I was saying JF3 would be the starter at some point as I was being told he was close since before the Clemson game. I don't think even the coaches envisioned him taking this long to get the playbook. We are still only 4 games in though. 

Why do SW people take this like people are taking shots at SW because they are set on JF3. I don't think either one of them is capable of leading us to a title atm. Also neither one of them will be starting next season if we get Stidham which looks good.

Also my opinions are what they are. The facts I just stated about each qb were facts though.  And when I say JF3 fits offense better I am saying his skill set. That means if he could get the playbook down etc.

7 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

Above average QBs (which he is not) that win National Championships (Which he will not) usually do.

The proof of QB competence is being drafted by the NFL and winning a NC?    Frankly I thought you were making a joke about that bet....be maybe you were serious?  

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree bird. Can't even believe SW getting static at QB. How many QBs have we seen at AU hitting almost 80% 0f their passes and it would be much higher if you add in the drops that were not his fault. But hey, lets be perfectionist, if he misses one or two passes all night then we will complain he is not an SEC QB. SMDH. Some folks should just leave football to others. WDE

I can believe it EE.  Some on this board will never except SW.  Doesn't matter who the coach is.  He just doesn't fit our offense. Now if we beat Ole Miss and he has a near flawless game they may lay low for a while but make one mistake and they'll be on him like white on rice (NPI). Fortunately for us all the trashing doesn't seem to bother Sean. He knows he will always have to prove himself. Negativism apparently did get to JJ and I really hate that but we have to move on.

What more can SW do inside the RZ besides run in there and catch his own pass?  He hasn't been perfect down there, but the amount of TDs dropped is getting comical at this point.

Interesting debate about average QBs and national championships.  Auburn has had two national championships, albeit 53 years apart, and one was a dynamic DT QB, the other was a converted RB.

The DT QB was drafted #1 in the 2011 NFL draft, the other is a Dentist.
The DT QB rushed for 20 TD and 1473 yards with a YPA of 5.6, the other 1TD and 261 yards with a YPA of 3.2 
The DT QB threw for 30 TD with 7 INTs and a 66% completion rate, the other 4 TD with 7 INTs and a 55% completion rate.
The DT QB lead a team with an explosive offense and an average D, the other lead a team with an excellent D and an average O.

The only thing these two QB have in common: They both were the unquestioned leader of a focused and talented team that won a national championship.

Let the debate continue.

8 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

The facts are facts. JF3 fits our offense better. Sean White has yet to throw a td against a quality opponent. SW needs to improve his deep ball. JF3 has not gotten enough of the offense down yet and can only run a certain number of plays atm.  JF3 is not a very good passer.  SW does not have great arm strength. These are sone facts. Once again I am not a SW hater but some people don't want to debate facts. SW needs to be a game manager and not turn the ball over. He does need to get the team in the end zone though. 

Which results in us being a one dimensional team no matter who the QB is. If SW is in we cannot run very much. If JF3 is in I imagine we can't throw very much and hence the defenses adjust accordingly, especially when we are in the red zone. To me our redzone problems are more about a compressed field and being one dimension instead of play calling. Depending on the QB we can only execute certain type plays. Goes back to Gus needing a true dual threat QB for this offense to really succeed. Is Woody that person? I don't know and I sure don't think we find out this year.

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

To me our redzone problems are more about a compressed field and being one dimension instead of play calling

Totally agree. We are certainly one dimensional. Which is why we couldn't score on third and one and fourth and one. The defenses are ready for it...They are not worried about about defending a pass.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Totally agree. We are certainly one dimensional. Which is why we couldn't score on third and one and fourth and one. The defenses are ready for it...They are not worried about about defending a pass.

Because they know Gus is going to run in 3 times up the gut. It's absolutely relative to play calling IMO.

i mean cmon...KJ in the wildcat on 4th-1? With Sean split out at WR? Why not a DL or extra OT for blocking if you're going to completely sell out for run? Nobody's gonna pay SW any attention split wide...lolololol. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The one thing I have noticed is Auburn has not thrown a fad (or at least not many) in the red zone since the UL game in 2015 and those were ugly.  I'm not sure why other then we have inexperience WR that do not seem to fight for the ball in the air. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Because they know Gus is going to run in 3 times up the gut. It's absolutely relative to play calling IMO.

i mean cmon...KJ in the wildcat on 4th-1? With Sean split out at WR? Why not a DL or extra OT for blocking if you're going to completely sell out for run? Nobody's gonna pay SW any attention split wide...lolololol. 

Why is Gus always willing to run it three times up the gut in the RZ? 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Why is Gus always willing to run it three times up the gut in the RZ? 

No clue, other than he don't trust Sean. I don't know. Sooner or later Sean is gonna hit that receiver and he's gonna catch it. But honestly, do you think lining Sean up at WR on a 4th-1 is a good plan? Heck, why not put Monty and KP in Power I and bulldoze into the end zone if you're going to settle on running? 

Because he is stubborn and is unwilling to fit the O to his talent.  It worked with Cam and Nick&Tre so it should work now. Problem is we don't have the same caliber  line to run behind. 

Just now, bigbird said:

Because he is stubborn and is unwilling to fit the O to his talent.  It worked with Cam and Nick&Tre so it should work now. Problem is we don't have the same caller line to run behind. 

The OL isn't getting the push needed for it right now. That's just a fact. Hope they continue to improve, but why keep forcing crap that's not happening is my point...lol. It also bugs the heck out of me that it seems Gus waits til he gets inside the 5 before he starts thinking about scoring. He goes total vanilla when he gets there. Like I've said before, if we're going to continue winning, he's gotta open it up and let the players make plays. Put those tall talented WRs we recruited out there and let them get a jump ball. There just seems to be no creativity at all when we get in the redzone, only TB dives and wildcat formations. 

10 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So you think that SW is the offensive problem ? I think you could put Cam Newton in this offense with the play calling that has happened and you would be losing. I understand some of you think you are very smart and I am not sure why you folks are not already D1 head coaches. I am sorry but most of your comments are just crazy. If Gus truly though JF3 was the answer he would be playing him. Do you really think that Gus would risk his reputation or his multi-million dollar job on someone he did not believe in ?  Everyone I have heard from that is involved closely and knowingly has said that SW was our best QB at this point. I have even heard at this point that WB maybe actually moving up to the #2 position. My guess right now is that if SW went out with injury you would actually see JJ at this point. Those things should tell you where we are at. JF3 is an amazing athlete but SW is the better QB at this point.So lets move on and support SW, and hope the play calling gets better. WDE

Why do people keep saying this nonsense? the playcalling would absolutely be different with CN because the coaching staff would actually trust him and the offense would be catered to his skill set.

1. Cam Newton is a dynamic player. He could make something out of a whole lot of nothing. Arden Key would not just be able to take down CN, nor would Myles Garret.

2. Cam Newton was a very good passer at AU as well, with a completion rate of 65%. You could not just crash down on the run, nor could you just sit back.
3. Cam Newton was dang near impossible to stop in the RZ. 

So no, we would not still be losing if CN was in the pocket. In fact, this team has shown they have top ten talent, hence the reason they can still hang with the best and even pull off victories despite incompetent offensive plays.

Also JF3 is not the answer. He is an athlete. He should be treated as such.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also JF3 is not the answer. He is an athlete. He should be treated as such.

My thoughts too. Talent is being wasted by trying to play QB.

Archived