Did we turn a corner or beat an overrated team?

MichAU12

You all saw my comments after Arky State. I still had concerns about our offense. The following week, some of my fears were confirmed as the offense went back to struggling.

For some reason, tonight felt different. We admittedly struggled inside the red zone, but mostly looked really good between the 20s. Think about it this way... If we had found a way to finish drives our drives, the offense could have picked up approximately 49 points.

Obviously obviously obviously, we have work to do in the redzone. However, it felt like something was different tonight. Did the offense start to turn a corner tonight? Or am I reading too much into this like I called others out for doing a few weeks ago?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KJ was on a mission following his mistake.  He appeared to have stepped up his game tremendously!  I think we are close, really close.  improved line play, and the coaches get out of their own way, and this could be a great team.

LSU's defense is a legit SEC defense and our offense preformed good enough to win.  The offense definitely could improve and it seems that the coaching staff will develop better continuity now that SW has proven he can get the W in a close game.  The defense dominated (save a few plays) an average to poor offense that was LSU.  Really a good team win last night.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I think a little of both is true.  I think we've improved on offense for sure.  We still need touchdowns though.  However, I think LSU is a little overrated too.  I think they're defense is good but their offense becomes one dimensional if Fournette is contained.  So honestly, I think LSU is similar to us.  Good defense, but lacking in offense.  But, I think we're on an upward trend while they are not.

I'm going to vote neither.   LSU has a darn good D and one of the best backs in the country.  We beat a solid team. That being said, I think we're still stuck half way around said corner.  The play calling is still baffling a lot of the time, and fairly predictable, and while pass protection improved, it's still not where it needs to be and our run blocking is suspect at best. Hopefully we can use next week to bulk up the playbook and get the big uglies playing with more fire before we hit the road.

LSU was clearly overrated coming into this season, but this was a game last year's team def would have lost. Bottom line, we beat one of the Big 3 without Superman at QB. And the door seems very open to beat two...

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm going to vote neither.   LSU has a darn good D and one of the best backs in the country.  We beat a solid team. That being said, I think we're still stuck half way around said corner.  The play calling is still baffling a lot of the time, and fairly predictable, and while pass protection improved, it's still not where it needs to be and our run blocking is suspect at best. Hopefully we can use next week to bulk up the playbook and get the big uglies playing with more fire before we hit the road.

I did like to see a little bit of a deep threat in this game. White wasn't very accurate on his deep throws, but at least they were attempted. We have an insane group of talented WRs, young ones at that, that need to be put to use. 

I am in the both camp. D-Line did what we have been expecting. Take away the one big Run bu Fournette that led to a TD and we basically shut him down. We had sacks and presuure on QB and DB's knocked down some passes while they were step for step with WR's. D has turned corner for sure even though LSU does not have a high powered O. Texas A&M put up 45 against Arky yesterday so our D is for real.

O is getting there. LSU has one of best run D's in SEC and we were able to get some hard earned yards on the ground against most teams our running game will be solid. SW had a coming out party he kept drives alive with his passing and we moved the ball well against a very good D. Still have Redzone issues and O-Line still is not there yet but seems to be improving.

One key thing in last few weeks with the Gus bashing because of play calling and I am one of the ones that has been bashing him we have not given him enough credit for how hard his team is playing in every game. The players like Gus or they wouldn't play so hard for him.  As a head coach he has addressed our long standing D issues and if we can keep getting better game to game on O we could be a very good team. The two games we lost are to 2 very good teams and we are approaching next 5 games where i really think we can win. We could have a 6 game winning streak going into Georgia.  Partly because of our D, partly because of our slowly improving O and partly because of the teams we will be playing.

We got an SEC win at home, finally. Getting that monkey off of our back at least let's us turn that corner. I do believe LSU's offense is just as much hot garbage as ours though. Gonna be interesting to see not if but when Les is fired.

I'm in the little of both camp.  LSU could certainly turn out to be a 4 or 5 loss team but they still have tremendous talent on D. I thought offense looked better overall, dropped passes and some missed assignments cost us more points. I'm somewhat baffled by the negativity surrounding not scoring a td.  During the tubs era or even the Dye era folks came to expect those types of defensive struggles. My goodness we beat bama one time 10-0...were we complaining afterward about only scoring one td? I don't think we just became a 10 win team but if we're gonna just look at the negative every time then whats the point? A win over LSU is a win over LSU and I will take it!

I didn't care for a lot of the announcers comments during the game... but I think he was on point with Gus's changes. I think he realizes his defense is good enough to keep him in a position to win games, and he's slowing down his craziness on offense.

Never upset with a win, hoping we don't need a 00:00 challenge for next week though :)

This is a better lsu team than beat the heck out of us last yr.  Our offense is moving the ball and definitely a better D.   Not a final 4 team by any stretch but not last in SEC either.  

Minus the redzone struggles, I liked what I saw last night.  The offense did do fairly well between the 20's.  The defense played very well for the 4th straight week.  Fournette is good (not great, imo) and he's going to get his yards, but Auburn contained him fairly well and kept lsu out of the endzone after their only td early.     I said at the beginning of the season that I thought lsu was WAY overrated and they would drop 4-5 games.  They still don't have a QB, so their offense is Fournette and nothing else (although the backup did get some nice runs on us last night). 

Any win over an SEC team is a great win, so I don't care how we get it.   LSU's defense is always fairly good so I can't say we turned the corner yet, but we definitely made progress, IMO.  Fix the redzone issues and we win that game going away.

The biggest takeaway from this game is the fact that this team has fight. I don't think we will see them quit as in years past. Hell of a team effort, given the deficiencies on offense! And, we appeared to have an actual game plan. So.........the staff seems to be at least TRYING to turn a corner.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We got an SEC win at home, finally. Getting that monkey off of our back at least let's us turn that corner. I do believe LSU's offense is just as much hot garbage as ours though. Gonna be interesting to see not if but when Les is fired.

I pretty much agree.  My lsu buddy texted me after the game and said, "well, I guess we took the lead in the Tom Herman pool".    He wants Les gone, and was hoping it would have happened last year.

Lsu has a good defense. Offense sucks and a new qb. Not the greatest team not the worse. Definitely better than bragging on how good we are because we beat Kentucky. I'll take it

It's an SEC win. Even if at home, it's been rare. That win will give us momentum and confidence against the rest of the West. Alabama will eat up our oline and Ole Miss looks for real but the rest are winnable. This win definitely helped us turn a corner. 

We won a tough game against a legit tough SEC team.  LSU will win many of their remaining games this season.  We will win our share of games for the remaining 8 games.  I see us possibly winning the following games percentage wise.

1. Arkansas 70% chance of winning

2. Miss State is very winnable 85% chance of winning

3. Ole Miss 50% of winning

4. UGA 75% chance of winning

5. Vandy 89.5% chance of winning

6. bammer 50% of winning

These are just gut feeling outcomes based on what I have seen so far with the play of future opponents.  I think we have a very good chance of going at least 5-3 in the SEC at season's end. With a little luck and hard work, we could possibly end up with a 9-3 record.  Maybe, just maybe, we could go 10-2.  I have to admit that I have a lot of sunshine pumping genetics in my body, and for the most part, they have served me well.

Somewhere on this site I read a thread that was titled "the last play" and it made mention that LSU QB was past the line of scrimmage when he threw the "touchdown pass", I had recorded the game and he was definitely past the line of scrimmage when he let loose of the ball so I think it wouldn't have counted anyway. Thank goodness they screwed it up on their own. I think Les Miles and Mark Richt went to the same school of clock management. Richt actually gave us the game one year due to his mismanagement of the clock. Alls well that ends well. WDE!!!

As others have posted I think we made progress last night.  I am not sure about turning the corner because the O play calling was still very poor and the redzone O was abysmal.  However; beating LSU is always a very good win, because they are very talented.  As Cole posted, this a much better win than Kentucky.  

wde

Archived