Scarb's article

doug3020

Not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone on here read his article on Al.com? I hate that site but it's a telling read to say the least. WDE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link it or at least copy/paste. 

Edit: 

It was a different kind of Kick Six. It was a fitting new chapter in the mad, mad, mad, mad world that is Auburn-LSU. It'll give Auburn fans a chance to add a 0:00 T-shirt to go with those that read 0:01.

Auburn didn't score a touchdown all day, and LSU did on the final play, but Auburn won and LSU lost because that last snap came one second too late and that would-be game-winning TD pass didn't count.

Upon one final review, Auburn 18, LSU 13 was official, and Auburn's seven-game home losing streak to Power 5 opponents was history, but despite the temporary euphoria, the future on the Plains is anything but solid or certain.

When Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn confirmed after the celebration that he had turned over the play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee for the LSU game - more openly than is his way - Malzahn offered this explanation:

"I've been really leaning toward that for two weeks now," he said. "I need to be the head coach, and that's what I'm going to be. I'm going to be the head coach."

Malzahn didn't really explain the drastic change, but it didn't mesh with his off-season explanation that he wanted to be less of a CEO this year and more of a football coach. So why this and why now?

AL.com's instant analysis: Auburn kicks past LSU 18-13 to snap SEC home losing skid

AL.com's instant analysis: Auburn kicks past LSU 18-13 to snap SEC home losing skid

If you believe what people close to the program offered as the reason for the change, it may not have been entirely Malzahn's idea. It may have been a powerful suggestion from an activist booster with the potential end game of bringing in Art Briles at the end of the season.

As offensive coordinator. To work with his old friend Malzahn. To keep Malzahn on the job and keep Auburn from having to fire him and pay him that $8.95 million buyout.

If you believe what people with a reason to know shared with me, the motivation behind Malzahn's maneuver may have been strategic in ways that matter far beyond the final score Saturday night.

Consider that Malzahn becoming less of a CEO and more of a hands-on football coach, especially on offense, hadn't worked through the first three games. Auburn's defense kept the Tigers in the Clemson game until the final play and in the Texas A&M game until the fourth quarter, but the offense failed to do its part in either loss.

If that pattern continued, it would be harder to justify bringing back Malzahn next season if his favorite side of the ball was the primary reason for another disappointing campaign. But if Malzahn turned over the play-calling to Lashlee immediately and things improved, it would be seen as an intelligent mid-course correction by a head coach willing to swallow his pride.

If things didn't improve drastically but the bottom didn't drop out, it would make it easier to keep Malzahn for another year but sacrifice the offensive staff. It might make cutting loose the offensive staff mandatory for Malzahn to remain.

Enter Briles as offensive coordinator at season's end.

Briles was fired at Baylor in May amid questions about the school's handling of sexual assault allegations involving its football players. There appears to be a school of thought among at least some Auburn power brokers that it would be easier to sell the idea of hiring him as an assistant coach who's not charged with overseeing the entire program.

Briles is known for his offensive expertise, as well as his personal friendship with Malzahn, and that combination with the improved defense of coordinator Kevin Steele could help Auburn become an SEC and national contender again.

It may not have been a coincidence that former college football coach Rick Neuheisel predicted Wednesday on his SiriusXM College Sports Nation radio show that Briles will be at Auburn next season as either head coach or offensive coordinator. Neuheisel is well-connected.

It also may not have been a coincidence that former Auburn offensive coordinator Jack Crowe, who has his own connections, broke the news Saturday morning on Twitter that Malzahn was turning the play-calling over to Lashlee.

Crowe's tweet added this cryptic explanation: "Desperation. Assistant coaches not pawns. Scapegoating is failure of leadership."

The play-calling change didn't alter the production much as Auburn failed to reach 20 points for the fifth straight game against a Power 5 team. Only LSU's own offensive woes with a wounded Leonard Fournette allowed Auburn to win with six Daniel Carlson field goals.

Auburn still hasn't scored as many as 10 points in any half in its last five Power 5 games.

This was the first time the Tigers won a game without scoring a touchdown since the epically bad 3-2 victory at Mississippi State in 2008. What happened at the end of that season? Tommy Tuberville resigned as the Auburn head coach.

Did Malzahn decide to go back and "be the head coach" to avoid the same fate?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/09/gus_malzahn_changes_course_aub.html

Ouch. It is confusing that he did that considering his off season comments. I can't believe all that talk about Briles this early. Very premature. If it's true, then there is typically meddling in the program which isn't good. 

I want us to keep winning to shut up the turds who keep saying don't fire Gus. I would love to get Herman but that's not a guarantee either. I certainly don't want to waste another year. Just win.

I find it hard to believe Briles would come as offensive coordinator  and not head coach. And I don't see Gus welcoming Briles in with open arms. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Even for a sports, er, "journalist" that's a whopping load of conjecture, speculation and crystal ball predicting in one tall tale story. Could happen. And Gary Johnson might be president. 

Not that I think AL.com has a scoop or anything, but this is exactly what I've been talking about. The best play for all around is to keep Gus and bring in a hired gun OC. Gus is a solid head coach, he just needs an innovative mind on offense to put the pieces together... that and a stellar o-line recruiting class.

*scarb Is out trolling for bammers and clicks on his site . Another of his muck raking articles based on speculation and imagination . 

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

*scarb Is out trolling for bammers and clicks on his site . Another of his muck raking articles based on speculation and imagination . 

Normally I would agree w you. I think this time is different. I'm not into black helo's, but I think things have been leaked out to gauge public perception. Just my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Normally I would agree w you. I think this time is different. I'm not into black helo's, but I think things have been leaked out to gauge public perception. Just my opinion. 

malzahns demeanor has changed....i think there might be something to the article.....if we had a normal offense, with this defense, we would be in the hunt

Scarbinsky is a troll for sure, but he also has some connections made back when he was a beat writer. Gus is famously stubborn, it's hard for me to fathom that he suddenly gives up play-calling(his baby) after 3 games, following an off-season of stressing how "hands-on" he was going to be this FB season. Not saying it's all true, but I wouldn't just discount it either.

2 minutes ago, Builder said:

Well LSU might be in the game for Briles now. Bottom line is if Gus stays, we definitely need another OC.

i would also argue a better OL coach

5 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I find it hard to believe Briles would come as offensive coordinator  and not head coach. And I don't see Gus welcoming Briles in with open arms. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I would agree with you if it were anyone but Briles.  Gus and Briles are friends, are both old HS coaches, and both run a similar offense.  Gus visited with Briles this off-season.  Due to their relationship, I don't think Gus would have a problem giving Briles a shot at OC until Briles got a new HC offer.

However, if Gus is being "told" he must do this from the PTB, then he might be a tad resentful about it.  Also, the whole Chizik thing has to be in the back of his mind (Auburn hiring former AU OC's as HC).

4 hours ago, AcUmen said:

I would agree with you if it were anyone but Briles.  Gus and Briles are friends, are both old HS coaches, and both run a similar offense.  Gus visited with Briles this off-season.  Due to their relationship, I don't think Gus would have a problem giving Briles a shot at OC until Briles got a new HC offer.

However, if Gus is being "told" he must do this from the PTB, then he might be a tad resentful about it.  Also, the whole Chizik thing has to be in the back of his mind (Auburn hiring former AU OC's as HC).

It looks to me like Gus has been given an opportunity to solve his problems his way. If he doesn't then he shouldn't be surprised if someone else tries to get involved and solve them for him. He still has control but the amount of control will be fluid depending on how he addresses the situation. 

I don't have a problem with Briles coming as OC I just thought it might be awkward, for Briles as well as Malzahn. But if it gets our offense running on all cylinders I don't care who feels awkward.

lol would be about the most JABA thing ever for us to hire a OC who is MUCH BETTER at being a Head Coach as our actual Head Coach. But damn the year he would be here and believe me it would be only 1 season our offense would be great.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol would be about the most JABA thing ever for us to hire a OC who is MUCH BETTER at being a Head Coach as our actual Head Coach. But damn the year he would be here and believe me it would be only 1 season our offense would be great.

If this were to happen, the success of our offense and Briles immediate jump back to being a HC would make the job a hell of a lot more attractive to the next potential candidate 

7 minutes ago, Charhair said:

If this were to happen, the success of our offense and Briles immediate jump back to being a HC would make the job a hell of a lot more attractive to the next potential candidate 

The OC job or the head coaching job? Cause I agree completely that the OC job it would be very attractive like how Urban has made his coordinator positions at TOSU.

Crowe's tweet added this cryptic explanation: "Desperation. Assistant coaches not pawns. Scapegoating is failure of leadership."

If  Briles (or any OC) comes to AU,we will have 2 more years of Gus.  Gus will not relinquish his authority.  2 more years of struggling,  and then 2 more years as a new coach brings in his system.   We are looking at 2021 before we are competitive again.    

If Gus relinquishes his play calling,  and we make a big improvement,   Briles will be gone in 2 years.   We will be stuck with Gus for 2 years after that  with a small chance of bringing in another OC that can make up for Gus.    We are looking at 2023 before we are a top SEC caliber team.    There are sophomores in high school today that will graduate from Auburn by then.  

HC change should have been made last year.   A new head coach would have his system in place and flowing by next year.   Make the HC change after this season,  and we could be a top SEC again by 2019.

I am tired of watching Malzahn's offense struggle.  Grow some balls and make the change after this year or we will have more of the same for the next 4 years..  

10 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

If  Briles (or any OC) comes to AU,we will have 2 more years of Gus.  Gus will not relinquish his authority.  2 more years of struggling,  and then 2 more years as a new coach brings in his system.   We are looking at 2021 before we are competitive again.    

If Gus relinquishes his play calling,  and we make a big improvement,   Briles will be gone in 2 years.   We will be stuck with Gus for 2 years after that  with a small chance of bringing in another OC that can make up for Gus.    We are looking at 2023 before we are a top SEC caliber team.    There are sophomores in high school today that will graduate from Auburn by then.  

HC change should have been made last year.   A new head coach would have his system in place and flowing by next year.   Make the HC change after this season,  and we could be a top SEC again by 2019.

I am tired of watching Malzahn's offense struggle.  Grow some balls and make the change after this year or we will have more of the same for the next 4 years..  

That's pure speculation.....check Florida, Tennessee and numerous other schools,( including AU) when they brought in new coaches.  Twice we have dumped coaches with the expectation that a new coach would turn the program around but mostly what we got was a one year surge followed by a relapse.

Just saying...if we had fired Gus last year as suggested...who would be our coach now?    Look at UGa and USCe  right now.... it is much easier to dismiss a coach than it it is to hire someone better.

Archived