All Things Woody Barrett (Merged)

trout54

Needs to start against ArkSt. Put him in and roll the dice in a game that SHOULD be a victory. Bad coaching has not stuck in him yet, so he can work with his raw ability/high school coaching. I BET you would see a much more dynamic offense, but certainly no worse than the qb production we saw last night!  

I try to find the good always, and remind myself that we were playing the #2 team in the country. The defense killed it, and shut down possibly the most prolific offense of the year. They deserve better. Heck, the entire team deserves better. 

What are your thoughts? I know he's green, unproven, true freshman, and the list goes on, but what do we really have to lose?  He would get the valuable game experience needed, and COULD put us in a better place. Who knows?  Flame away. Lol

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GREAT idea. I say just put him out there and let him use bottle caps and sticks to make up plays in the huddle too. Gus and Lashlee are clearly not capable of calling a game regardless of execution so just play it like backyard football on offense! 

(Woody hasn't had time to learn the offense and all we know about him came from the media who clearly has zero clue about talent levels.)

2 minutes ago, trout54 said:

Needs to start against ArkSt. Put him in and roll the dice in a game that SHOULD be a victory. Bad coaching has not stuck in him yet, so he can work with his raw ability/high school coaching. I BET you would see a much more dynamic offense, but certainly no worse than the qb production we saw last night!  

I try to find the good always, and remind myself that we were playing the #2 team in the country. The defense killed it, and shut down possibly the most prolific offense of the year. They deserve better. Heck, the entire team deserves better. 

What are your thoughts? I know he's green, unproven, true freshman, and the list goes on, but what do we really have to lose?  He would get the valuable game experience needed, and COULD put us in a better place. Who knows?  Flame away. Lol

No......

Terrible idea as of now. Again, there are MUCH BIGGER issues with this offense than QB play at the moment. By now Barrett has already been instructed and is learning the offense, you can't use RAW high school experience when the offense that you're running is completely different, with different reads, throws, and terminology. 

Do you know what happens when you throw a freshman QB that isn't ready out there? You ruin him. All of the sudden confidence is down, they're skittish, they lose faith in the line, and develop bad mechanics and other issues that now you have to correct and fix, while still continuing to train them. That's something that no one wants and Gus knows that will happen. Heck any coach knows that. 

Heck if we are doing the QB shuffle  still I say why not. What could it hurt. The guy gets some experience under his belt. Couldn't be worse than any of the other QBs out there.

So you are saying that our offensive coaches are like media members? My bad. Wait. They are stargazers. More worried about getting Hugh star recruits than recruits that fit in their system. Wait. What is our system?  I am so confused........and I like the sticks and bottle caps idea!

5 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

No......

Terrible idea as of now. Again, there are MUCH BIGGER issues with this offense than QB play at the moment. By now Barrett has already been instructed and is learning the offense, you can't use RAW high school experience when the offense that you're running is completely different, with different reads, throws, and terminology. 

Do you know what happens when you throw a freshman QB that isn't ready out there? You ruin him. All of the sudden confidence is down, they're skittish, they lose faith in the line, and develop bad mechanics and other issues that now you have to correct and fix, while still continuing to train them. That's something that no one wants and Gus knows that will happen. Heck any coach knows that. 

I see what you are saying but the kid has to cut his teeth sometime. Why not with a team like ASU

The talent at QB isn't the main problem. Would Woody do better if given the whole game than we saw last night?  Probably. But guess what...if any of the 3 QBs that played last night would have been allowed to manage the whole game, we probably would have won. Woody is not the answer. Sticking with 1 QB is the answer. 

1 minute ago, bootskii said:

I see what you are saying but the kid has to cut his teeth sometime. Why not with a team like ASU

He's got to know the offense and have full master of it, otherwise everyone will be out there looking lost and Gus' job is on the line if they do have a bad showing against Arkansas State. The biggest leap that teams make is from the first to second game, and Arkansas state will smell blood in the water, as most smaller programs do when they match up against larger teams. 

No one knows where Barrett's level of development is, or whether he has any comprehension of college level defense reading, and so you can't assume he is automatically ready to play. Remember, there are some seniors going out there on both sides of the ball who will quickly get pissed if they see that their season is being pissed away and rebel. As well as some younger players with plenty of eligibility who can and will opt to transfer if they don't think their chances are being taken seriously.

More things to consider right now.

19 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

No......

Freshman Jalen Hurts at Alabama says HI

6/11 118 yards 2TD's 1int  

9 rush 32 yards 2 TD's

Final 52-6

i guess Nick Saban does not know that

2 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Freshman Jalen Hurts at Alabama says HI

6/11 118 yards 2TD's 1int  

9 rush 32 yards 2 TD's

Final 52-6

i guess Nick Saban does not know that

Jalen Hurts was in a parallel competition with Cooper Bateman and Blake Barnett from the start. 
Furthermore, he was going into the season with a MUCH better offensive situation so that's a moot comparison. If you don't know by now, Alabama's offense is built to be about a QB friendly as possible, what with a very spread out and easily aligned passing attack that makes use of multiple levels to give easier and safer reads to the offense, a run heavy emphasis utilizing powerful man-blocking concepts and extra TEs and Fullbacks. They don't have to do much, however, when you get an actually athletic QB it opens things up for them. That being said, even Nick Saban putting Hurts out there was a gamble. Alabama just has the QB depth to where it was a calculated risk, and they had seen flashes from him prior to. 

Barrett hasn't been in the conversation as of yet and Auburn can't afford to flip that coin unlike Bama.

51 minutes ago, trout54 said:

People comparing this to Hurts at Alabama, Hurts has been the best qb at Alabama all summer and fall camp. Hurts is a much more polished qb than WB. Hurts is a very good example of what JJ isn't a qb that is cool calm and composed under pressure when the lights are on at gametime. The practices I have seen this summer and fall I have not watched WB very closely but I don't think that throwing him in is the answer at all. We are not rebuilding and preparing for the future. We have the talent and should be winning now. So throwing a RAW true freshman qb out is not the answer atm. 

Jeremy Johnson sat on the bench 2 years and still wasn't ready. What's the difference Gus needs a spark and to save his job so why not play him if we stay on this pace Gus won't be around to play him next season.

Since it appears like we're trying to fulfill a participation quota i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't throw Woody out there at some point. But i hope and pray we don't b/c we'd totally screw him up any progress he's making. 

49 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Heck if we are doing the QB shuffle  still I say why not. What could it hurt. The guy gets some experience under his belt. Couldn't be worse than any of the other QBs out there.

Why not?  Because he's liable to get torched by a high school team playing behind our offensive line.  Might as well rename the kid Kiehl.  

With the mess we have going on offensively right now, which last night was just a continuation of the mess from last year, putting Woody in at this point is likely to just ruin his confidence.  First, JJ needs to change positions because he is a good athlete and a good kid who is simply not a QB.  Then, Sean should be the QB and an actual game should be developed based on what he can do.  Franklin can be the change of pace guy if we need that.  Adding another QB in the mix to further muddle things it not what they need at this point.  

You people just don't get it do you. Cam Newton could not win with the play calling that was going on last night. From design Gus decided to do this. It wasn't upon any failure of any QB that he called plays like CC at the wildcat with two or three QBs in the game. Contrary to his opinion they are not capable of making a good game plan. It might be ok to throw a trick play in now and then but they overall have a low ceiling as far as been successful. I don't even know if I can blame the line. With so many hocus-pocus plays, they probably had blocking schemes that were unimaginable. I will say this  now had Lane Kifften and I dislike him greatly ( and never want him to step on AU soil ) had been the OC last night we most likely win that ball game. Hate to say it but it is true. Gus better figure this out soon. WDE

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You people just don't get it do you. Cam Newton could not win with the play calling that was going on last night. From design Gus decided to do this. It wasn't upon any failure of any QB that he called plays like CC at the wildcat with two or three QBs in the game. Contrary to his opinion they are not capable of making a good game plan. It might be ok to throw a trick play in now and then but they overall have a low ceiling as far as been successful. I don't even know if I can blame the line. With so many hocus-pocus plays, they probably had blocking schemes that were unimaginable. I will say this  now had Lane Kifften and I dislike him greatly ( and never want him to step on AU soil ) had been the OC last night we most likely win that ball game. Hate to say it but it is true. Gus better figure this out soon. WDE

I agree that Gus has totally gotten away from his coaching philosophy when Cam Newton was QB.  I just don't understand this drastic change in philosophy and going with a 3 QB system...

17 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

I can make some time next Saturday... maybe I can take few snaps too.

What are your strengths?  

1 minute ago, WeagleAU said:

I agree that Gus has totally gotten away from his coaching philosophy when Cam Newton was QB.  I just don't understand this drastic change in philosophy and going with a 3 QB system...

Personally I think he is in a downward spiral and has know idea how to right the ship. He needs to hand the OC to Tim Horton and let him call the plays. Give him a chance to step back and figure out what went wrong. I like Gus but he has lost it just like Chizik did. I felt his job was safe as long as it was just wins and loss but if he loses this team like Chiz did, JJ will have no option but to fire him. WDE

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Jalen Hurts was in a parallel competition with Cooper Bateman and Blake Barnett from the start. 
Furthermore, he was going into the season with a MUCH better offensive situation so that's a moot comparison. If you don't know by now, Alabama's offense is built to be about a QB friendly as possible, what with a very spread out and easily aligned passing attack that makes use of multiple levels to give easier and safer reads to the offense, a run heavy emphasis utilizing powerful man-blocking concepts and extra TEs and Fullbacks. They don't have to do much, however, when you get an actually athletic QB it opens things up for them. That being said, even Nick Saban putting Hurts out there was a gamble. Alabama just has the QB depth to where it was a calculated risk, and they had seen flashes from him prior to. 

Barrett hasn't been in the conversation as of yet and Auburn can't afford to flip that coin unlike Bama.

You know Flex, I really fraised that response bad. I apologize for that. I do not have the depth of knowledge you do. I think what I was trying to say in a rude way was, Alabama and now even Georgia played true freshman with good success. BUT in reading you response I now understand why they were fortunate and we, well we are............?

4 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

You know Flex, I really fraised that response bad. I apologize for that. I do not have the depth of knowledge you do. I think what I was trying to say in a rude way was, Alabama and now even Georgia played true freshman with good success. BUT in reading you response I now understand why they were fortunate and we, well we are............?

Just a couple of issues with AU's situation. Honestly, if Malzahn was in a position like Saban and or Smart as in, he either was:

A.) A consistently winning football coach with several years of national championship wins under his belt

B.) A freshly hired coach trying to make do with the pieces that he had

Then I believe that Gus would have room to make moves like that. But because he doesn't have those benefits of the doubt in the eyes of the board and or the fans, he can't risk a move like that and end up ruining a possibly great QB because the fans will resent him, the players will resent him, people will know that he is desperate, and finally he could end up fired if the media smells blood in the water. It's a last ditch right now and Jay Jacobs knows that his job might be on the line for giving Gus such an extension so he has to be very careful.

But besides all of that as it's been stated, we just don't have a conducive offense to really attract top flight QB prospects like these other schools. If Bama were to botch Hurts, he'd prob transfer but they'd have SEVERAL other QBs lining up to take his spot. Here at Auburn, we end up whiffing on a lot of QB prospects that would be ideal for our system, and for good reason. 

The defense was forced to play JF3 much different than the other 2 and that opened up better running lanes for the RB. Use an SW/JF3 combination exclusively while JF3 gets all his reads down. Let WB learn the offense, warm up in the wings, then get him a certain amount of playing time this year.

Archived