All Things Woody Barrett (Merged)

trout54

Sean is doing a good job but with him we will lose to Arkansas, Ole Miss and Alabama. I can't say I know what Woody can do yet but I think he might provide us with a good run pass option that we miss with SW. Sean can run but it's not a weapon we can count on. Woody might bring that extra option that would combine SW and JFIII. He might not pass as well as SW or run as good as JFIII but he probably does both better than either of them. If I am right I still don't know if we can beat Ole Miss and Alabama but I do think we can beat Arkansas. And at this point I would take 8-4 in a heartbeat.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bg5 said:

Sean is doing a good job but with him we will lose to Arkansas, Ole Miss and Alabama. I can't say I know what Woody can do yet but I think he might provide us with a good run pass option that we miss with SW. Sean can run but it's not a weapon we can count on. Woody might bring that extra option that would combine SW and JFIII. He might not pass as well as SW or run as good as JFIII but he probably does both better than either of them. If I am right I still don't know if we can beat Ole Miss and Alabama but I do think we can beat Arkansas. And at this point I would take 8-4 in a heartbeat.

Totally disagree on Arkansas. We went 5 OT's against them last year and we are better on both offense and defense than we were last year. It can be argued that Arkansas is not as good on offense as they were last year and their defense may be only average.

2 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Totally disagree on Arkansas. We went 5 OT's against them last year and we are better on both offense and defense than we were last year. It can be argued that Arkansas is not as good on offense as they were last year and their defense may be only average.

Scoring wise, are no where near as good as last year.

3 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

With ya! And that game last year would have never even gone OT if AU wideouts had held onto passes that 'em in the hands. I still think of that as "The Drop Game", 'cause there were a bunch of 'em.

13 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I hope y'all are right, maybe TCU is down this year.  I can't stand Arkansas. I actually dislike them more than Alabama and that's saying a lot. I went to a game there several years ago and of all the away games I have been to they were the rudest, before, during and after the game. They were even mean to my kids. I have a brother in law that lives there and his kids go there. Since mine go to Auburn we have a bet on the game every year. I'm ready to win again.

The problem is not at QB. SW hit 73% of his passes against LSU, averaging 12 yards per completion. The problem on offense is the weak OL and the resulting inability to run the ball. SW got Auburn to the red zone repeatedly in the game, but the OL could not protect him or get push against the LSU DL to punch the ball in.

I don't think WB would have any more success than SW against a solid SEC defense. If the coaches decide to let him play mop up in some games to get him ready for next year, that's their call. But to put him in there with the current weak OL would be doing him and the team no favors, IMO.

you will not see woody this year. anything is possible but highly unlikely. you will see more of franklin as year goes on especially if white gets hurt which he will if he keeps getting sacked like he does in the pocket.

IF JFIII is fastest guy on team why do we not see him on jet sweeps or reverses occasionally? Don't we need to get ball in his hands some way? Maybe our WRs are not blocking.  Franklin does scare me a little carrying the ball. Maybe ball handling is the issue.  I believe spark could come from a position other than QB.  Maybe they are protecting him if SW gets injured.   But what do I know?

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Scoring wise, are no where near as good as last year.

The scoring thing may have a lot to do with playing both Clemson, LSU & A&M in our first 4 games.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

The scoring thing may have a lot to do with playing both Clemson, LSU & A&M in our first 4 games.

You have hit the nail on head. I would not be surprised to see 2 of these teams in the final 4 at the end of the season. When the dust settles, another SEC team will likely be in that number. I do think if we measure our offensive totals from the remaining SEC games yet to be played, I do think we will see where our gains on both sides of the ball are occurring or not occurring.

• 5 months later...

Gus Malzahn 'can see a difference' in quarterback Woody Barrett this offseason

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

With Sean White limited and John Franklin III "open" to playing other positions this spring, redshirt freshman Woody Barrett will have his biggest opportunity since arriving at Auburn last year.

Barrett, a former four-star dual-threat option out of Orlando, Fla., will be in the mix early on during Auburn's open quarterback competition this spring. The 6-foot-2, 231-pounder will have a chance to vie for the job alongside Franklin, JUCO transfer Jarrett Stidham, redshirt sophomore Tyler Queen and true freshman Malik Willis in the early goings of spring practice.

"He had a good offseason up to this point, and I know he's excited," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Tuesday. "Anytime you are a highly recruited guy and you redshirt, it takes a little bit to get back in the flow. But he knows he's competing now, and you can see a difference in him."

Barrett passed for 2,018 yards and 20 touchdowns while rushing for 1,413 yards and 23 touchdowns during his senior season at West Orange High before redshirting at Auburn last season. During that time, Malzahn said he has been impressed with Barrett's off-field development, particularly with how his body has developed in the Tigers' strength and conditioning program.

Malzahn was also impressed with Barrett's showing during Auburn's bowl practices leading up to the Sugar Bowl, particularly when the team scrimmaged in the early practices to let its younger players get into the mix.

Auburn teammate believes Woody Barrett confident he could be 'greatest quarterback'

Auburn teammate believes Woody Barrett confident he could be 'greatest quarterback'

Former four-star prospect Woody Barrett redshirted for Auburn as a freshman in 2016 but hopes to beat out Sean White, Jarrett Stidham and John Franklin III for the starting job next season.

Now he's eager to see what Barrett will be able to do with a chance to compete this spring. Although Malzahn is expected to be hands off with the offense now that Chip Lindsey has assumed the offensive coordinator position, he said that "starting out, a lot of those guys will get an opportunity" to show what they can do at the position.

The Tigers opened their first of 15 practices on Tuesday, with the first two days including 20 minutes of 7-on-7 drills and 10 minutes of one-on-ones for the quarterbacks to give Lindsey ample opportunity to evaluate the quarterbacks. As Malzahn aptly put it Tuesday morning: Auburn can't go through spring with five guys competing for the job, and Lindsey will need to narrow down the field over the next six week.

"I know he's excited," Malzahn said of Barrett. "He's worked really hard up to this point, and I know Chip (Lindsey) is ready to see what he can do, too."

Great to hear that Woody is poised to be in the race.  Was unsettling to hear of his struggles last year but that's the way of life as a redshirt freshman.  I have been there personally and it sucks.  For me it was keeping book and chasing foul balls. Running until you puke lifting weights so much you can't lift your arms to wash your hair and add on top of that living alone for the first time and expecting to do makeup work when classes are missed because of schedule conflicts can throw a lot for a loop.  Luckily at AU the footballers have tudors and an academic center to help them.

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Great to hear that Woody is poised to be in the race.  Was unsettling to hear of his struggles last year but that's the way of life as a redshirt freshman.  I have been there personally and it sucks.  For me it was keeping book and chasing foul balls. Running until you puke lifting weights so much you can't lift your arms to wash your hair and add on top of that living alone for the first time and expecting to do makeup work when classes are missed because of schedule conflicts can throw a lot for a loop.  Luckily at AU the footballers have tudors and an academic center to help them.

I guess with a School of Architecture, there are bound to be a few tudors around somewhere.

Encouraging to hear.  Those in the know stated that Woody really had some attitude issues last year (think lackadaisical) .  Enough to where at some point others stated he may never see the field.  

Maybe we can attribute that to some small injuries he had during last year and the fact he was redshirted.    

10 minutes ago, vatz22au said:

Encouraging to hear.  Those in the know stated that Woody really had some attitude issues last year (think lackadaisical) .  Enough to where at some point others stated he may never see the field.  

Maybe we can attribute that to some small injuries he had during last year and the fact he was redshirted.    

@corchjay offered some great thoughts on that redshirt thing just a few posts up. 

Woody had some growing up to do came home after the sugar bowl and I believe Mommy had a talk with him. He still has a ways to go but if he can continue to mature hopefully it will work out. 

And what corchjay said is very accurate

Upon watching the videos from Auburn's first practice I could see a change in Woody's physical appearance. He seems like he is in better shape. His upper body definitely looks more stout than before. That's just my take on the video though. I think a lot of people have a rough adjustment to their first year in college. I personally did and I am not a student athlete so I can not imagine how tough juggling all that would be. I do not think anyone should count Woody out just yet. In my opinion he hasn't had enough time to already count him out. Let's see what happens this year. 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Upon watching the videos from Auburn's first practice I could see a change in Woody's physical appearance. He seems like he is in better shape. His upper body definitely looks more stout than before. That's just my take on the video though. I think a lot of people have a rough adjustment to their first year in college. I personally did and I am not a student athlete so I can not imagine how tough juggling all that would be. I do not think anyone should count Woody out just yet. In my opinion he hasn't had enough time to already count him out. Let's see what happens this year. 

:thumbsup:

I have had faith in Woody to start showing his skills as a QB. I know some have been down on him, but he needs the chance to prove himself. It is good news to hear he is coming along. IT will be great to have another skilled QB in the mix of things. Having JS, SW, and Woody as reliable QBs that can come in and be successful.

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@corchjay offered some great thoughts on that redshirt thing just a few posts up. 

Thanks and it's all true.  You're expected to practice harder, workout more, do the dirty work, in the back of your mind you're convinced (as a competitor) that you are better then the starter in front of you, and as a redshirt you know there is no opportunity to play the next game.  Definitely was a very trying time in my life... so I turned to girls girls girls lol

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have had faith in Woody to start showing his skills as a QB. I know some have been down on him, but he needs the chance to prove himself. It is good news to hear he is coming along. IT will be great to have another skilled QB in the mix of things. Having JS, SW, and Woody as reliable QBs that can come in and be successful.

No one has been down on him... it's just been noted that he's having trouble transitioning to college in general.

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

No one has been down on him... it's just been noted that he's having trouble transitioning to college in general.

I do understand this, but it did seem that a lot of folks lost confidence in him. I am glad that he can contribute if needed. We will need him, JS, and SW to be the men at the QB position that can get the job for us in 2017.

Archived