Will Hastings

AuburnGrad97

Did I just miss him Saturday night, or was he not in the game much/at all??  I kinda feel like he is our "WesWelker" type player.  He always seems to know where the chains are, and makes the tough catches in traffic. Sorry if posted elsewhere, but I hadn't seen anything on him. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Top. Saw some inspired football out of this guy early on. 9 for 69 seems to be low for this guy in November after the flashes of brilliance we saw at the beginning of the season. 

Why did Malzahn and Lashlee slow everything down when we would get inside the 20 yard line? From the 20 to the other 20, it was hurry up and we would make big plays and lots of yards and Vandy's defense looked like they were getting tired really fast. But in the end, Gus would slow it down and we would have to kick another FG or have one blocked.

We went wildcat with KJ a lot in the redzone that requires another lineman and when they do that the take Sean out... so when we go back to standard personnel it's mass substitutions and the defense gets to counter and from the areas the teams have to stop at is a good ways down the field.  Therefore seems we are slowing down buts it's more about the time to make subs

He's been passed by more talented receivers that have taken to Kodi's coaching. There is a reason he is a walk-on.

I'd like to see him or the King kid work specifically on punt return and see what they can do.  Implement it for next year possibly.  Hastings quick twitch muscles could be a great asset there but his WR blocking is terrible.  

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'd like to see him or the King kid work specifically on punt return and see what they can do.  Implement it for next year possibly.  Hastings quick twitch muscles could be a great asset there but his WR blocking is terrible.  

Punt return definitely needs  to try something,Davis does a good job making the catch but he hasn't done anything as far as making return yards.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Punt return definitely needs  to try something,Davis does a good job making the catch but he hasn't done anything as far as making return yards.

I remember when we could not make the catch.  Talk about back breaking. 

Good job making the catch deserves more praise.  After that it is icing on the cake.  

Sometimes just making the catch is OK.  I still remember the days of Q Carr.   The fumble in the 2010 Iron Bowl....among others.

But yes, we need somebody that can field the ball and pick up a first down or more on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Why did Malzahn and Lashlee slow everything down when we would get inside the 20 yard line? From the 20 to the other 20, it was hurry up and we would make big plays and lots of yards and Vandy's defense looked like they were getting tired really fast. But in the end, Gus would slow it down and we would have to kick another FG or have one blocked.

That has been root of our red zone offense over past years. We have two offenses one between the 20's and one in the red zone. We tend to change what we did to get there resulting in field goals.

I have been curious about trying Hastings on punt returns too. He is so quick out of the hole he might be good at it. Marcus did great last year a few times especially the bowl. but I don't recall many productive returns this year. I am glad he secures it. 

40 minutes ago, AURocketman said:

Good job making the catch deserves more praise.  After that it is icing on the cake.  

I still get all verklempt when we are back to receive. This crap did life-long damage to my psyche.

5 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Agree PBCR.

Where has he gone?  Has he been in the game even? Injured?

Pettway happened.

Hard to see the ball when we aren't passing very much. I expect us to be more balanced on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, AURocketman said:

But a few yards here and there on punt returns gives the O a short field to work with and leads to more scores.But making the catch is absolutely the top priority.

Part of the reason you are seeing few yards on Punt returns is the quality of the punters in the SEC. Most have great hang time which doesn't leave much room for the punt returner.

5 hours ago, AURocketman said:

Maybe it was a bit sloppy at times, but I'd take the game breakers of the early 2010s like Bray and their mistakes over the complete lack of a threat we have now. Feels like everything from all 3 facets is becoming "just good enough" as we try to remain steady, but we gotta hit another gear soon 

Return game has been bad all season. KJ on kickoffs just runs to the sideline. Davis fields punts very well but we're not getting any blocking in front of him to give him a few yards to make a move.

Put Hastings back to return kickoffs with Truitt at least. The kid has extremely quick feet and could make some of those headhunters miss while he breaks up the field.

Archived