Things I Think I Saw: AU vs LSU....

JMR

Thanks again for writing each week, @JMR.  I've been waiting for this.  

Question for you.  You seem to really be someone who knows his D, especially the line. To what do you attribute the few big gains that seem to make it through our D each week? There aren't a ton of them, but as good as we are, it's just concerning to me that we can't bottle them up better once they break through. I do agree that it's a positive that we are running them down and making tackles before they make it to the end zone in most cases.  Anyway, I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Most of the big runs have been because a linebacker or safety missed a run fit. This week in particular, I saw Neal miss a run fit badly, he wasn't blocked at all, did not fill a hole and Fornette went for 20 or so. 

Love these writeups, JMR. Surprised to see Slayton get so much playing time if he's a minus blocker. He's come up with some big plays for us and although I haven't paid much attention to his blocking ability I like him catching passes. Hopefully his blocking improves as the season goes on. He's one of our biggest WRs at 6'2 I believe so his size should help him.

I thought it was the best game of Monty Adams' career. The standard criticism on him is that his motor doesn't stay revved. He can dominate and disappear, but he was 100% in this one. He was dominant start to finish, and it made a huge difference. He's also making lots of money by consistently pressuring off the edge when they shift him to DE. Looks like he could handle playing 3-4 DE. That versatility has a lot of value on the next level.

Up until Saturday, I would've said Russell has been our best lineman on either side of the ball. Now, it's open for debate based on the consistency Adams just showed. If those two can play like that each week, this defense will take another big step forward. I'm with Coach on this one, I loved the bursts of productivity we saw from Andrew Williams and Derrick Brown. That interior line can be really, really good.

• Like 1

Adams had by far his best game of his career.  

Slayton,. He is just so smooth as a receiver and I love his hands,.  He gains yardage in chunks too... I have yet to notice his blocking however.  

I think we need to try Truitt more often too,. L I see big play in him with high energy and low center of gravity.  He has quicks and is chunky in a good way.  

The late Lawson sack was huge,. Forcing LSU to spend it's final T.O which in hind site won the game for us.  

Really liking what I've seen of the defense as a whole, minus the few broken plays that result in some bigger gains. It's great seeing those young men playing with fire and knowing they can compete with anyone on that side of the ball.

I hate to criticize Chandler Cox but yeah, he's been very spotty as a blocker in space. He has even missed some blocks while trying to make holes in the defense. He has plenty of drive and is probably harder on himself than his coaches are, but it'd be nice to see him adjust and correct his issues. He's a difference maker on the offense and we need him desperately.

Glad to have that W though. The LSU game is my second biggest rivalry game outside the Iron Bowl. War Eagle!

On the next to last play LSU completed a pass to the 3 yard line which was brought back because of a penalty but there was no penalty assessed. They just ran another play from the same line of scrimmage. What did I miss here?

Thanks for this writeup, coach!  Always worth the time. Saw nothing in what you said that I can disagree with at all. Between you and StatTiger, AUFamily has two of the most knowledgeable folks I've ever come across when it comes to AU football (and just the game of college football itself) sharing with us unwashed masses and I think we're dang lucky for that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mickeyspano said:

On the next to last play LSU completed a pass to the 3 yard line which was brought back because of a penalty but there was no penalty assessed. They just ran another play from the same line of scrimmage. What did I miss here?

That whole ending was a mess and about 2 or 3 "judgements" were going against AU in those last 2 plays: no 10 sec run-off (should a been, I think), WR's AGAIN not set on the last snap, etc.

Luckily for the AU family they DID get the most important call right. :00!

War Eagle!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks again for writing each week, @JMR.  I've been waiting for this.  

Question for you.  You seem to really be someone who knows his D, especially the line. To what do you attribute the few big gains that seem to make it through our D each week? There aren't a ton of them, but as good as we are, it's just concerning to me that we can't bottle them up better once they break through. I do agree that it's a positive that we are running them down and making tackles before they make it to the end zone in most cases.  Anyway, I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Lion, I'm no linebacker coach, but I see ours taking a step (and sometimes two or three steps) in the wrong direction now and then. I'm not gonna criticize 'em.....I love their enthusiasm AND their play.....but they're mis-fitting running plays now and then, and when they do, especially with our defensive tackles playing on the offensive side of the ball (love that, too), it's a good gain for the offense. I'm only guessing, but I think sometimes they are ignoring their keys because they think they see the ball and where it's going. But they're playing well, and getting better. Obvious to me that they are getting excellent coaching.

16 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Thanks for this writeup, coach!  Always worth the time. Saw nothing in what you said that I can disagree with at all. Between you and StatTiger, AUFamily has two of the most knowledgeable folks I've ever come across when it comes to AU football (and just the game of college football itself) sharing with us unwashed masses and I think we're dang lucky for that.

Thanks, Ox. I absolutely agree about Stat Tiger. I read his stuff after every game, without fail.

7 minutes ago, JMR said:

Thanks, Ox. I absolutely agree about Stat Tiger. I read his stuff after every game, without fail.

Man, it feels good to be called Ox again. I grinned big when I saw that.  Mind if I just go back to calling you JR like the old, old days of The Bunker?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That whole ending was a mess and about 2 or 3 "judgements" were going against AU in those last 2 plays: no 10 sec run-off (should a been, I think), WR's AGAIN not set on the last snap, etc.

War Eagle!

I think the penalty was from the spot of the ball not from the previous spot.  I also wondered why there would not have been a 10 second run off.  I thought the SEC put that in just for LSU when they beat (UT?) a few years ago on a false start at the end of the game.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

I think the penalty was from the spot of the ball not from the previous spot.  I also wondered why there would not have been a 10 second run off.  I thought the SEC put that in just for LSU when they beat (UT?) a few years ago on a false start at the end of the game.

I can't remember what triggered the rule but it seems to have applied in this case.

I guess had they got the play off in time we'd be in the midst of the Okie St vs Cent Mich argument.

Imagine, 2 games involving Pow 5 teams ending in such a way in the same year??

Can you say NCAA Nuclear Meltdown?!?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JMR said:

I thought the officiating crew was unusually weak. They missed numerous holding calls, called Auburn defensive linemen twice for offsides when they were back out of the neutral zone before the snap, and allowed LSU to run plays without wide receivers being set before the snap. I don’t like to complain about officials in a loss, but in a win, they’re fair game IMO.

Totally agree about the officiating.  It has been awful this year. I thought the officiating was supposed to get better as the year goes on, giving them time to correct their mistakes.  Doesn't the SEC office review the mistakes weekly?  How come they continue to make the same bad calls?

3 hours ago, api1957 said:

Glad you pointed out Cox. I noticed a few missed assignments from him the past 2 weeks. 

Yes..am hoping that  the coaches spend some serous time helping Cox, and either the other backs/receivers or lineman that are just plain missing assignments. Our last drive in the Red Zone could easily have sealed the game if their play would remain consistent. By the way, somewhere I read that LSU should have been called for a "false start" on that last 1-second play. Of course it doesn't matter now due to the final outcome. Was just wondering if I read the article correctly. This being LSU, I will take it anyway we can get it.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

War Eagle!

I agree AU...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I can't remember what triggered the rule but it seems to have applied in this case.

I guess had they got the play off in time we'd be in the midst of the Okie St vs Cent Mich argument.

Imagine, 2 games involving Pow 5 teams ending in such a way in the same year??

Can you say NCAA Nuclear Meltdown?!?!

The penalty should have been from the LOS and I believe it was as the new LOS was the 20 yard line.  as for the runoff the answer is no, and yes it was put in because of LSU

" 3. Only those fouls that cause the clock to stop are affected by this rule. There is some confusion on this point, which sometimes arises out of not understanding the difference between a foul and a penalty. For example, if a team commits a false start, the officials shut the play down; this is a foul that stops the clock. But if a team snaps the ball when it has five players in the backfield—an illegal formation—the play continues: this is not a foul that stops the clock. Of course once the ball is dead the clock is stopped, but this is to administer the penalty; the clock is not stopped because of the foul itself. " 

• Like 3

It could just be me... But I really hope we don't move Cowart to DL. I still think he can be a game changer at DE. He could be a manager next season. Especially since we moved Tega from DE... 

15 hours ago, mickeyspano said:

Yes there was.  The play with the completion and illegal shift was snapped at the 10.  The next play (last of the game) was snapped at the 15.

14 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

This has been mentioned in several threads, but the 10 second run off rule only applies if the foul causes the clock to stop immediately.  It has to be a deadball foul (false start for instance) to stop the clock immediately.  An illegal shift is a live ball foul and isn't part of the criteria for a 10 second run off.

• Like 1