Can someone explain the last 8 seconds of the game!!!

tigerman1186

Can someone explain the end of  the game???? With 8 seconds left in the game LSU had the ball and completed a pass for a 1st down inside our 5 yard line....they were flagged for 'illegal shift'...there was 1 second left on the clock....the ball was placed backed at the original line of scrimmage and was awarded another snap....I thought when there is a penalty against the offense (LSU) in the last minute of the game then there is a 10 second run-off (unless they have a timeout, but they were out)...if so the game should had been over before they got another chance....(and the extra play, their split end to their left side was not set before the snap, but I didn't see a flag thrown).  

Been discussed in other threads...

but in short, the illegal shift is not a dead ball foul (it is a live ball foul) so NO 10 second run off... there WAS a 5 yard penalty assessed and marked off and the ref said clock would resume (@0:01) as soon as the ball was set... which it did and the clock hit 0:00 BEFORE they got the snap off...  they let the play continue for some reason and the touchdown then did not count due to the time having expired.

There should ALSO have been a penalty for illegal shift again on the touch down play TOO as the receiver was not set before the snap but they did not throw THAT flag... Fortunately that did not matter as they got the call right and ruled the game over.

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

Can someone explain the end of  the game???? With 8 seconds left in the game LSU had the ball and completed a pass for a 1st down inside our 5 yard line....they were flagged for 'illegal shift'...there was 1 second left on the clock....the ball was placed backed at the original line of scrimmage and was awarded another snap....I thought when there is a penalty against the offense (LSU) in the last minute of the game then there is a 10 second run-off (unless they have a timeout, but they were out)...if so the game should had been over before they got another chance....(and the extra play, their split end to their left side was not set before the snap, but I didn't see a flag thrown).  

Did we decline the penalty?

Well, I could explain it to you, but then I'd have to kill ya! :P

Seriously though, just thinking about it all at this point makes my head hurt. If you go back through some of the threads on the forum the ending has been dissected and explained pretty much to the Nth degree, right down to pics of the applicable NCAA rule book page.  All I know for sure is that without instant replay and review, our AU Tigers would almost surely have been shafted out a win.

next to last play @ 7-8 seconds left with the illegal shift starts at the 10 yard line, gets first down but brought back.... .01 second left after 5 yard penalty and last play starts at the 15 yard line... 5 yards behind previous spot.

58 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

what bothers me is that the inside receiver was covered and went downfield into the pattern, the outside receiver did not get set, and no flags were thrown....they missed two penalties on the play.....

actually Les said after the game that there was a flag on the last play. He knew it wouldn't count.   You can't see the flag anywhere on the screen and the biased announcers never mentioned it either, so I guess we have to go on what Les said since he was there.   Oh, and they missed an Offensive pass Interference committed by Fournette in the front of the endzone.   He pushed Holsey out of bounds after the pass was in the air.  That one they did miss. 

In the end though, none of that matters because the clock had hit zero anyway.  :lol:

Archived