Notes on Red Zone Offense

StatTiger

4 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Okay, so my question on Tiger Talk this week was kind of glossed over by Gus so I'll propose the question here since it was focused on red zone plays and specifically the Wildcat with Kerryon instead of JFIII.

Is anyone else sensing hesitation from the coaches in playing JFIII or am I just imagining it? Defenses know Kerryon is running the ball when he's in Wildcat. With JF3 you're getting the same thing but his speed and elusiveness might be more effective than Kerryon's sometimes hard running (when the o-line doesn't fail him anyway). You could always have him do the read option with Kerryon and make the defense actually account for both runners.

We need more help and options in the red zone so this seems like a sensible choice to me. Maybe he'll actually answer my question against ULM tomorrow. :)

We did bring in John, last week, when we needed a running boost deeper down field.  When we get to the short field, power often trumps speed, because the defensive backs are playing close to the line and the defense is much tighter as a whole. John may be fast, but he's also a featherweight compared to our backs.  John is a much more dangerous weapon from 30 or more yards out, where there's a chance of him getting around the slower players and getting a DB one on one where he can juke him and take it to the house. Kerryon, on the other hand, can run your a** over.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

We did bring in John, last week, when we needed a running boost deeper down field.  When we get to the short field, power often trumps speed, because the defensive backs are playing close to the line and the defense is much tighter as a whole. John may be fast, but he's also a featherweight compared to our backs.  John is a much more dangerous weapon from 30 or more yards out, where there's a chance of him getting around the slower players and getting a DB one on one where he can juke him and take it to the house. Kerryon, on the other hand, can run your a** over.

Appreciate the reply! I just think if we let JF3 run to the far side, he can beat most defenders there. At least it would add another wrinkle to the offense.

My play; Kyle Allen wide left, jf3 right slot( boundary side) kerryon in the gun, no Sean. Jf3 goes in motion on jet sweep, kerryon gives, Kyle blocks for 1.5 seconds then releases into back of ez. Jf3 can keep or dump to Kyle. How does this not work? Bird..

This will be the #1 thing I will watch for this weekend... how we do against an another SEC team in the redzone. I want to see if we are truly going to change things or are we simply going to try execute the same plays better. 

Hopefully we have a lot of chances and a lot of success!

• Like 1