Malzahn's Weekly Presser - Louisiana-Monroe Game

RunInRed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we've had any question marks at running back..lol. The question marks are at OL and the H-back position currently. It's a MAJOR problem.

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I don't think we've had any question marks at running back..lol. The question marks are at OL and the H-back position currently. It's a MAJOR problem.

cox ain't getting it done....he looks like hes scared, and it is part of this years red zone woes....i think malik miller needs to be looked at the "H"....he sure can't do any worse

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just remember such a big deal being made about how he was going to get back to play calling.....

Does make you wonder. How could he have been so successful for years and in the last 2 just fallen of the proverbial cliff

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just remember such a big deal being made about how he was going to get back to play calling.....

He said he was going to be more hands on, less CEO. I think he called plays for most of the season last year except a game or two, so he was obviously talking about more than just play calling.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Does make you wonder. How could he have been so successful for years and in the last 2 just fallen of the proverbial cliff

he does not seem to be as arrogant and stubborn in the last two weeks, and appears to be feeling some humility....maybe he is learning something about perspective.................?

1 minute ago, JwgreDeux said:

He said he was going to be more hands on, less CEO. I think he called plays for most of the season last year except a game or two, so he was obviously talking about more than just play calling.

He was talking more but he was mainly talking play calling. And whatever he did he did but what he said was rhett was calling plays

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just paying attention to the quotes, seems like he was feeling pressure and letting it effect him in his other responsibilities, but I wonder like you said why these last two years? Seems like now he'd be used to it

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think it was the success of having an elite running QB.  He changed his style of play calling to suit that offense when Marshall was here, which was impressive in its own right, but then has forgotten the road back to the successes of past years.  For example, the adjustment Gus made in 2010 from USCe the first game to the SEC Champ game was genius.  He went mostly out routes in game 1, to out and ups in game 2 and torched them.  Those type of adjustments have been missing, with the exception of the occasional wheel route off the bubble screen look which has been pretty successful when called.

These self-evaluation remarks by Gus mirror the utterly exasperated guy we saw throughout the Clemson game. Not exactly the first time he has had a game plan tank and though he always wears his emotions on his sleeve, during that game he was doing some John Madden's. It's good to know one's limits and act accordingly.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Probably giving reference to how the media was questioning who would take over at running back in the absence of all of the experience gone from last season. I'm sure he is to the point of exhaustion with the same questions over and over. 

56 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just paying attention to the quotes, seems like he was feeling pressure and letting it effect him in his other responsibilities, but I wonder like you said why these last two years? Seems like now he'd be used to it

Personally, when I am put in a pressure situation where I feel like people are starting to attack my credibility as a worker (or student) and question whether or not I should be in the position that I am, I feel very pressured to not make any mistakes. This could explain what happened to Gus. Take for instance this quote:

I felt like I was too negative first couple games, "living and dying with every play"

That to me indicates that he was letting all of the hot-seat and "just a HS coach" talk affect him and how he works. He was already working double time as a HC and an OC, and couple that with the pressure of losing your job, I can 100% see how Gus would start thinking that every single play he called had to be perfect, when in reality, making 1 or 2 bad calls in a game is okay as long as you adjust your gameplan and learn from it.

Taking away the OC responsibilities (aka having him stop micromanaging) should relieve some of that stress, if for no other reason than he has less to stress about. It also indicates to me that Gus is starting to allow himself to change. Like he said, he's been doing this for 25 years, and to change the way he's doing things is a big step in the right direction, whether it was initiated by Gus himself or an outside source.

Suppose all of this is honestly what's going on (no tin foil hat view):

Maybe with 10 years of video of his offense out there, it has finally been figured out and he literally hit his creative limits. Without a true running and throwing threat at QB, he's out of innovations. He finally figured it out, so kudos to him for 1) admitting it and 2) going in a different direction. 

Here's to hoping RL has a plan. Looks like he did vs LSU. So far, so good.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This.  So this means he has been calling the plays since 2013 including last season?  If so, and this is going to negative, but what the heck has Lashlee been doing since 2013?Paying Lashlee as an OC has been a complete waste of money.  

wde

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

This.  So this means he has been calling the plays since 2013 including last season?  If so, and this is going to negative, but what the heck has Lashlee been doing since 2013?Paying Lashlee as an OC has been a complete waste of money.  

wde

QB coaching :poke:

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

I thought everything was Rhett Lashlee's fault last year, back when everybody was on the Gus Bandwagon. How quickly the tide has turned.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

The pressure hasn't gone anywhere. One SEC win against LSU with no TD's isn't going to save his job this year. 8-5 (including a win against either Georgia or Alabama) with a bowl win is probably his only saving grace.

Well I don't know exactly what has been going on the last few years but I think he needs to let RL call the plays and he can either do the job or not. No way to know with them calling the plays "together." Also, I would rather Gus be looking at the flow of the game in it's entirety and not thinking about what play to call on 2nd and 6. I think we will have a lot better gauge of Gus and RL this way. Hoping we will look back and see it as a positive turning point for the season and program.

36 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Personally, when I am put in a pressure situation where I feel like people are starting to attack my credibility as a worker (or student) and question whether or not I should be in the position that I am, I feel very pressured to not make any mistakes. This could explain what happened to Gus. Take for instance this quote:

That to me indicates that he was letting all of the hot-seat and "just a HS coach" talk affect him and how he works. He was already working double time as a HC and an OC, and couple that with the pressure of losing your job, I can 100% see how Gus would start thinking that every single play he called had to be perfect, when in reality, making 1 or 2 bad calls in a game is okay as long as you adjust your gameplan and learn from it.

Taking away the OC responsibilities (aka having him stop micromanaging) should relieve some of that stress, if for no other reason than he has less to stress about. It also indicates to me that Gus is starting to allow himself to change. Like he said, he's been doing this for 25 years, and to change the way he's doing things is a big step in the right direction, whether it was initiated by Gus himself or an outside source.

I'm the same way as far as pressure go, but I'm not going to avoid it I'm going to attack it. But I understand people address and handle pressure differently, but pretty much last year the excuse was I wasn't hands on enough, then there were the coaching staff not seeing eye to eye stuff, then it was the bringing in people that he was comfortable and everybody is on the same page and he is now doing what he's comfortable with, more hands on with the offense and we are definitely going to get it turned around.  And now it's back to I need to take a step back again....

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think it's as simple as, you can do both for awhile but at some point time management becomes the issue. Wearing 2 hats at lower levels may be possible. But at higher levels, especially over the long term, it is not. The time necessary to, watch film, develop an effective game plan and call the best plays possible is in direct competition with the hours required to run the whole organization. Eventually one or the other will suffer. As any person climbs the ladder they are forced to let go of certain things along the way. This process becomes more critical the higher the position (AsstC, OC, HC) and the bigger the stage (HS, FCS, FBS, P5, NFL). 

Archived