Having a holistic complimentary philosophy on both sides of the ball

ausoldiergrad

This has ben my thoughts from the days when Gus was fist brought on to the AU staff as OC, and continues to be my gripe today.  Our defensive and offensive philosophy's don't compliment each other.  For years, prior to this year (and last year as far as the offense is concerned) we have run a fast paced offense, and played bend but don't break D.  The result is we either scored, or we gave the ball back to the opponent, and they typically ran long, double digit play drives.  By the third quarter, our goal to wear out the opponents D did the opposite, and in fact, it was our D that was smoked because they had been on the field for 70% of the plays. 

Now...we have a legit defense, that granted is giving up some big plays, but is more than capable of getting stops on third down.  Last year and for years before, I wasn't ever comfortable on anything less than 3rd and a mile.  We needed the other team to get a penalty to have a chance at getting a punt.  

Well, it's a new day, but now we are one of the slowest moving offenses in recent history.  I believe for us to hit on all cylinders, we need to speed up this offense big time, and be super aggressive defensively until it's time to protect a lead.  By being super aggressive, yes we will give up some plays as we have done already this year, but either way the D will get off the field faster and allow the hurry up play action offense to actually wear a defense down.  Your thoughts?

27 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

I agree with you. But I think for this offense to run on all cylinders, there needs to be players at each position that fit GM's philosophy. Not sure if we have that.

Fair point, but I think the play calling is more to blame than the talent level.

Archived