KJ hardest running back to tackle in SEC

abw0004

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never heard of that stat before: "No running back in the SEC has forced more tackles on runs than #Auburn's Kerryon Johnson so far -- he's forced 17 on 77 carries this year."

"Forced tackles." What does that mean?

I'm pleasantly surprised with how effective KJ has been between the tackles. Was thinking he would be more of an O-Mac/Corey Grant type back. 

Actually satisfied with the RB situation overall. Both he and Pettway have been a nice surprise. 

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Think they meant forced missed tackles.

KJ is definitely running with more conviction this season. 

Thanks. I knew i was missing something.

War Eagle!

Yet another reminder that folks need to pay less attention to metrics when assessing a player. Even after 2013 and Tre Mason, people were still doubting Kerryon before this season. Nothing particularly surprising to me about him so far, other than the spin move against ASU. Didn't know he had Reggie Bush mode in him. 

Happy he's getting to make his mark. Hoping we can work him into the passing game a little more and see his APY go through the roof. 

"Even after 2013 and Tre Mason, people were still doubting Kerryon before this season."

Not me ?

"Mark my word: We beat Georgia and LSU this year and Kerryon has 1500 plus all purpose yards"

?

I love KJ. He has to potential to be one a great all around back. He has pretty good size, speed and hands out of the backfield. That diving attempt in the Clemson game almost helped us knock them off. Really excited about his future, and seeing what he can do the rest of this season. 

I think Kerryon has all the makings of a great back, if he can get the O-Line support he needs.  My biggest concern is that Kam has been practically unstoppable when he is in the game (5-6 yards per dive when Kerryon is getting 2-3), yet Gus/Rhett seem to favor Kerryon, and I think it has cost us a few times.  I still wonder if we would have a few more red zone touchdowns if we put our bruiser in there.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think Kerryon has all the makings of a great back, if he can get the O-Line support he needs.  My biggest concern is that Kam has been practically unstoppable when he is in the game (5-6 yards per dive when Kerryon is getting 2-3), yet Gus/Rhett seem to favor Kerryon, and I think it has cost us a few times.  I still wonder if we would have a few more red zone touchdowns if we put our bruiser in there.

Kam is unstoppable when he's got something of a hole to run through and can grab a chunk more or less by running vertically IMO. Not saying he can't make a few great cuts when he gets to the second level- he definitely can- but I'm not sure that he's nearly the Swiss army knife that KJ is. KJ is a more complete back and can be left in the game in a lot more situations. 

FTR, the YPC averages are 6.5 to 4.8 in favor of Kam. Definitely a fat margin, but just a bit over half the disparity you suggested, and I'm not sure it would be the same if Kam were used as more of an every down back. 

As for the red zone, no argument here. We actually have a few RZ TDs from KJ out of the WC (Acronym City, baby, henceforth known as AC), but we clearly need more than that. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kam is unstoppable when he's got something of a hole to run through and can grab a chunk more or less by running vertically IMO. Not saying he can't make a few great cuts when he gets to the second level- he definitely can- but I'm not sure that he's nearly the Swiss army knife that KJ is. KJ is a more complete back and can be left in the game in a lot more situations. 

FTR, the YPC averages are 6.5 to 4.8 in favor of Kam. Definitely a fat margin, but just a bit over half the disparity you suggested, and I'm not sure it would be the same if Kam were used as more of an every down back. 

As for the red zone, no argument here. We actually have a few RZ TDs from KJ out of the WC (Acronym City, baby, henceforth known as AC), but we clearly need more than that. 

For the full offense, I don't disagree at all that Kerryon is the more complete back with more weapons, but when we are stubbornly trying to pound it down their throat with dive after dive, Kam gets more yards just because he's a bull. That's what I was alluding to with my numbers. It's only when running between the tackles with so-so blocking that Kam gets the 5-6 yards to Kerryon's 2-3.  If we were getting solid run blocking, Kam would probably get 10-12 yards while Kerryon would likely get huge chunks if not just take it to the house, because he's more capable once he gets through the initial gauntlet.  I just think Kam does a better job of making up for our deficiencies when we are running between the tackles.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I just think Kam does a better job of making up for our deficiencies when we are running between the tackles.

It was certainly quite odd how we used him (and then didn't use him, and then used him just a tiny bit, and then...) against TAMU. I think I understand you better now and I think I agree.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

For the full offense, I don't disagree at all that Kerryon is the more complete back with more weapons, but when we are stubbornly trying to pound it down their throat with dive after dive, Kam gets more yards just because he's a bull. That's what I was alluding to with my numbers. It's only when running between the tackles with so-so blocking that Kam gets the 5-6 yards to Kerryon's 2-3.  If we were getting solid run blocking, Kam would probably get 10-12 yards while Kerryon would likely get huge chunks if not just take it to the house, because he's more capable once he gets through the initial gauntlet.

I actually think Kerryon is your best bet at getting a couple hard yards. He hits hard enough and he is elusive enough to to make that first defender miss. When teams sell out for the run, seems they can stop a bruiser much easier because they can get to him before he gets going.

But what the hay, I don't understand basic football fundamentals like they say.

48 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My understanding on Kam, at least in the second half of the LSU game, is that he'd suffered some sort of thigh/leg bruise that limited him which is why he didn't see the field more than he did. But man I'm with ya! I like Kerryon but I also really like that 240 pound truck called Kam.  He moves really well for a guy that size, and he does pick up some yards.  (I know this. If I were a DB and saw him headed my way, I'd find something to trip on, or maybe fall down with a cramp.  Sure ain't getting in his way.)

5 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

My understanding on Kam, at least in the second half of the LSU game, is that he'd suffered some sort of thigh/leg bruise that limited him which is why he didn't see the field more than he did. 

2nd post I've seen where you've said this.  Just curious at to your source, as I haven't seen anything about and injury to Pettway, and I never saw any evidence of injury to him in LSU game.

They're fitting the Bush/White comparison much more than I thought they would. I hoped for a "poor man's Thunder and Lightning" going into the season, and now they're starting to look like a middle- to upper-middle class man's version. 

14 hours ago, tigermac said:

Nice stat, and I love Kerryon's game...but I think this distinction probably should belong to Leonard Fournette

I actually think by season's end, KJ will be among the elite group of the best RBs in the country if he does not get injured.  He will be either 1st or 2nd All SEC team for 2017. Fournette is an elite RB no doubt and has earned this. I believe KJ will be as good as Fournette soon.

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I actually think by season's end, KJ will be among the elite group of the best RBs in the country if he does not get injured.  He will be either 1st or 2nd All SEC team for 2017. Fournette is an elite RB no doubt and has earned this. I believe KJ will be as good as Fournette soon.

I'd love for you to be correct that he could be as good as a guy who will be a top 10 pick in the NFL draft. If Kerryon could duplicate Fournette's 1,953 yards and 22 TDs as a true sophomore, we'd all be pretty ecstatic. 

28 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Love your optimism Doc.  I can't be certain, but I think Kerryon has a lot of weight room work to do to measure up to Fournette. The dude is just a beast.  He's kind of like Kerryon and Kam combined into one back.  

Archived