So, what if...

Charhair

All hypothetical, of course, but still possible.

Art and Kendall go somewhere else, as a package deal. Maybe they still want to work together or something and art doesn't want anything less than a HC position. Or maybe KB stays at Baylor and Art goes somewhere else, whichever however, let's just imagine KB and AB are off the market.

So there goes our top two choices to replace Lashlee.

On top of that, what if CRL turns the offense around? We don't fully go back to the production of 13/14 but enough to where the offense wins us a couple of games and actually plays to its potential. 

Would any scenario (or combination of scenarios) such as these, cause Auburn to retain Rhett? Or do you believe it's gotten to the point where Rhett's future at AU has already been decided and we're moving on without Rhett, no matter his performance. 

Im not saying he deserves to be retained or that I think he will turn the offense around. I guess I'm just more curious on what happens, coaching wise, if Kendal and Art are picked up before we have fired Rhett/hired a new coach. Will it be back to the drawing boards? Do we think we have a plan B? Will we go into a full coaching search?

Honestly, I think it's too early in the season to speak in definites, but the way things are playing out, Rhett appears to be in the 2015 Les Miles seat and how the season plays out will more determine his style of exit vs whether or not he exits. I just don't see the O turning around to the level that would be required to keep him, based on the 2 games he's already called. The bar has just been set too high.

Now, what back-up plan the administration has for Kendall, if he decides not to come... no clue.

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Honestly, I think it's too early in the season to speak in definites, but the way things are playing out, Rhett appears to be in the 2015 Les Miles seat and how the season plays out will more determine his style of exit vs whether or not he exits. I just don't see the O turning around to the level that would be required to keep him, based on the 2 games he's already called. The bar has just been set too high.

Now, what back-up plan the administration has for Kendall, if he decides not to come... no clue.

I am curious as to why anyone even thinks he would come here? 

Just my opinion but we might as well be talking about pulling Nick over from Bama next season which probably has about the same odds. 

Face it.  Rhett Lashley is our new OC.  We will be expected as fans to give him a fair shake at the job before going negative with our comments.  Say... 1 full season?  We have no idea how he'll be without his training wheels and Gus' meddling. 

On the positive side, it's likely Rhett welcomes the freedom and would like to sink or swim on his own terms.  And at least now we'll all be spared Gus' own Tommy Boy control freak play-calling.

The Briles clan to LSU, then, I guess...

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am curious as to why anyone even thinks he would come here? 

Just my opinion but we might as well be talking about pulling Nick over from Bama next season which probably has about the same odds. 

It's been a discussion among several insiders for some time. I think it goes something like this.  Baylor, as a school, is a mess right now and who knows what kind of reshuffling they will do with their staff next year. Gus and Art are friends and Gus needs some new offensive blood.  Gus also wants Stidham who is very fond of Kendall.  Jumping to OC in the SEC can do nothing but increase Kendall's stock.

I guess my question is, why wouldn't he come here if the offer presents itself? 

34 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Face it.  Rhett Lashley is our new OC.  We will be expected as fans to give him a fair shake at the job before going negative with our comments.  Say... 1 full season?  We have no idea how he'll be without his training wheels and Gus' meddling. 

On the positive side, it's likely Rhett welcomes the freedom and would like to sink or swim on his own terms.  And at least now we'll all be spared Gus' own Tommy Boy control freak play-calling.

The Briles clan to LSU, then, I guess...

Our new OC? I thought he was hired as the OC in 2013? 

I am betting that Art is working the phones pretty hard for the LSwho job (can't blame him) and probably will be doing the same at the end of the year when more jobs open.  AU should have brought him in prior to the start of the season as an analyst because I doubt he stays as an assistant coach anywhere very long.

Kendall is still at Baylor as OC, so AU would have to offer him more than he makes there (shouldn't be a problem).  The question is would he be interested in a lateral move?  Is the draw of the SEC (and the challenge of the better defenses) enough to make him want to move?

I have no problem letting Rhett do what he does the rest of the year.  I think he deserves a chance to run the offense his way for a while.  If Rhett can get this offense turned around and put up some points, I see no reason not to retain him.  I mean if it's true that the LSU game was Rhett's first game this season where he called plays, then it was definitely an upgrade from Gus's play-calling vs. Clemson and TAMU.  Rhett might just be a better play-caller overall than Gus is at this stage in his career.

I think Gus is a few years behind offensively.  His system was fresh and new in 2009, but now not so much.  This seems to be a problem with a lot of head coaches -- once they get into that top spot, they don't have the time anymore to stay up on the latest and greatest.  Age probably has something to do with that too -- the older you get the more set in your ways you become.  This is why the best HC's hire others to do this stuff for them; they are willing to change, tweak and evolve.  This has worked out pretty well for Sabear hasn't it?

Just now, AcUmen said:

Kendall is still at Baylor as OC, so AU would have to offer him more than he makes there (shouldn't be a problem).  The question is would he be interested in a lateral move?  Is the draw of the SEC (and the challenge of the better defenses) enough to make him want to move?

Baylor is operating under a temporary coaching regime. They are doing a new head coach search at the end of the season. The odds are that head coach will bring in his OC, not retain Kendall. 

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Would any scenario (or combination of scenarios) such as these, cause Auburn to retain Rhett? Or do you believe it's gotten to the point where Rhett's future at AU has already been decided and we're moving on without Rhett, no matter his performance. 

I see only one way it "could" happen. If RL were to turn the offense around and we run off a string of 7 or so wins. If he did that he would get some support to stay. At the same time that would also put RL in the best position to move on so he might not want to stay.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

All hypothetical, of course, but still possible.

Art and Kendall go somewhere else, as a package deal. Maybe they still want to work together or something and art doesn't want anything less than a HC position. Or maybe KB stays at Baylor and Art goes somewhere else, whichever however, let's just imagine KB and AB are off the market.

So there goes our top two choices to replace Lashlee.

On top of that, what if CRL turns the offense around? We don't fully go back to the production of 13/14 but enough to where the offense wins us a couple of games and actually plays to its potential. 

Im not saying he deserves to be retained or that I think he will turn the offense around. I guess I'm just more curious on what happens, coaching wise, if Kendal and Art are picked up before we have fired Rhett/hired a new coach. Will it be back to the drawing boards? Do we think we have a plan B? Will we go into a full coaching search?

austudent23 said before the season started regardless of offensive production this season Lashlee would be out. 

Now he did claim KB would take over the position. This is what I think happens. He was spot on before about something that happened this off season. So I'll take his word as good until it doesnt happen.

But to answer your question, when both Briles are off the board, nope. I still don't see him making it. He is paid too much money to do nothing. Which apparently is what he does

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our new OC? I thought he was hired as the OC in 2013

My phone won't do italics in this interface for some reason. 

I meant new as in "New and Improved with 1/3 less Overthink!".  The announcement that it's Rhett's show was, in a way, a measure to restart the clock on Rhett.  A cynic would say it's to buy the current staff more time at the trough or to save Gus' job,.... 

How long do we wait for how much improvement?

Just now, AURealist said:

My phone won't do italics in this interface for some reason. 

I meant new as in "New and Improved with 1/3 less Overthink!".  The announcement that it's Rhett's show was, in a way, a measure to restart the clock on Rhett.  A cynic would say it's to buy the current staff more time at the trough or to save Gus' job,.... 

How long do we wait for how much improvement?

Gus job is saved as long as we are bowl eligible, which I don't think we will have a problem with. As for CRL, we do not wait. It is year 4 of him as OC. At this point, I feel like whether he does very well or very bad, his time at AU is done. He needs to make his own path anyhow. He has pretty much been with Gus his whole career. Time to get some autonomy. 

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Thought this was a what if AU wins out thread...wrong place

Well....

Is there a right place?

3 hours ago, AcUmen said:

I am betting that Art is working the phones pretty hard for the LSwho job (can't blame him) and probably will be doing the same at the end of the year when more jobs open.  AU should have brought him in prior to the start of the season as an analyst because I doubt he stays as an assistant coach anywhere very long.

I have no problem letting Rhett do what he does the rest of the year.  I think he deserves a chance to run the offense his way for a while.  If Rhett can get this offense turned around and put up some points, I see no reason not to retain him.  I mean if it's true that the LSU game was Rhett's first game this season where he called plays, then it was definitely an upgrade from Gus's play-calling vs. Clemson and TAMU.  Rhett might just be a better play-caller overall than Gus is at this stage in his career.

I think Gus is a few years behind offensively.  His system was fresh and new in 2009, but now not so much.  This seems to be a problem with a lot of head coaches -- once they get into that top spot, they don't have the time anymore to stay up on the latest and greatest.  Age probably has something to do with that too -- the older you get the more set in your ways you become.  This is why the best HC's hire others to do this stuff for them; they are willing to change, tweak and evolve.  This has worked out pretty well for Sabear hasn't it?

Iff, he may well have other places to go.

Oh Yeah?????

Need to give Lashlee more than one game this season to prove himself.  He has only called plays on two games at Auburn, both of them wins.

16 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:
19 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Thought this was a what if AU wins out thread...wrong place

Well....

Is there a right place?

As a matter of fact... 

Okay, since we're playing "what if"...LOVE that game!

What if, under the TRUE coordination of Rhett Lashley, AU looks like "vs Arky St" AU the rest of the season (including against bammer) and coupled with this new fangled defense they've got, AU destroys all comers, wins the SEC and their bowl game (no, I don't think they'd make a 4 team playoff anyway, cuz they ain't "tha tahd")?

EDIT....and he STILL doesn't get offered any HC jobs...  (thanks Lion)!

Keep Rhett?

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Okay, since we're playing "what if"...LOVE that game!

What if, under the TRUE coordination of Rhett Lashley, AU looks like "vs Arky St" AU the rest of the season (including against bammer) and coupled with this new fangled defense they've got, AU destroys all comers, wins the SEC and their bowl game (no, I don't think they'd make a 4 team playoff anyway, cuz they ain't "tha tahd")?

Keep Rhett?

Rhett leaves to be head coach at a smaller team... very possibly Arkansas State.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Rhett leaves to be head coach at a smaller team... very possibly Arkansas State.

Well, that's just TOO obvious.  85 mph fastball down the middle...

Let me edit my original post to bring the curve...

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well, that's just TOO obvious.  85 mph fastball down the middle...

Let me edit my original post to bring the curve...

I'll see your edit and raise you an "I already think the wheels are in motion for his next position", BUT, in your scenario, if he really could get that level of production and he wasn't offered any jobs, we would have to keep him, since there is not grounds for removal, and we would not be any worse off for it, because getting that level of production would make him as viable of an OC as anyone else we could bring in.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll see your edit and raise you an "I already think the wheels are in motion for his next position", BUT, in your scenario, if he really could get that level of production and he wasn't offered any jobs, we would have to keep him, since there is not grounds for removal, and we would not be any worse off for it, because getting that level of production would make him as viable of an OC as anyone else we could bring in.

I absolutely believe you about the wheels being in motion, etc.

I'm wondering how "we" as fans would feel about keeping him after said mythical turnaround?

Lot's of us (me included) feel like he's a liability (at worst) or dead weight (at best).  But I wonder if that scenario would truly change "our" perception & feelings.

Archived