Daniel Carlson interview

KerryThachWDE

I think it has been said that he grew up a Bama fan, but they did not offer him a scholarship.

Glad we did, and that he accepted! :yes:

Auburn is becoming into Kicker U. It feels like we've had NUMEROUS of kickers that went off having successful careers in Auburn and NFL. Bironas (even though he later transferred, and RIP), Del Greco, Parkey, Byrum, Duval, Vaughn, and now Carlson. 

I hope we have him kicking for us next season. 

Ive seen one college kicker who can honestly be named in the same breath with Carlson... And that was Sebastian Janikowski. And he left FSU after his JR year and went 1st round. Thats right he was a JR kicker drafted #17 in the 1st round. 

I think we have as dominant a kicker as FSU had in Janikowski... Not saying he will forego his SR season and declare as a JR for the draft, but don't think for one second he would be on the board forever. He would be drafted... But in the 1st? Well if he gets a 1st round grade, he'd be stupid not to go.

I sure hope we have him kicking again next season while his little brother gets up to par and ready to take the reins. And hopefully since we are staying in the family, there won't be a ton of drop off whenever its Daniels little brother Anders out there kicking for us...

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I hope we have him kicking for us next season. 

Ive seen one college kicker who can honestly be named in the same breath with Carlson... And that was Sebastian Janikowski. And he left FSU after his JR year and went 1st round. Thats right he was a JR kicker drafted #17 in the 1st round. 

I think we have as dominant a kicker as FSU had in Janikowski... Not saying he will forego his SR season and declare as a JR for the draft, but don't think for one second he would be on the board forever. He would be drafted... But in the 1st? Well if he gets a 1st round grade, he'd be stupid not to go.

I sure hope we have him kicking again next season while his little brother gets up to par and ready to take the reins. And hopefully since we are staying in the family, there won't be a ton of drop off whenever its Daniels little brother Anders out there kicking for us...

What made Janikowski so awesome was that he could go out there, kick 75 yard field goals TWICE in one game, while holding a beer in each hand, having already consumed 6 before the game..,..

33 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

What made Janikowski so awesome was that he could go out there, kick 75 yard field goals TWICE in one game, while holding a beer in each hand, having already consumed 6 before the game..,..

Are we trying to act like Daniel didn't kill that handle of Makers on his way into the end zone against arky state? 

Just now, Charhair said:

Are we trying to act like Daniel didn't kill that handle of Makers on his way into the end zone against arky state? 

OH, our boy Carlson will be legendary when all's said and done!  Makers...ah, the good ol' days...

Just now, AUsince72 said:

OH, our boy Carlson will be legendary when all's said and done!  Makers...ah, the good ol' days...

I sure hope he stays for another year. He seems like the kind of kid who might enjoy holding that legendary title as a returning SR, much like a lot of us viewed Lutz at the time. 

Just now, Charhair said:

I sure hope he stays for another year. He seems like the kind of kid who might enjoy holding that legendary title as a returning SR, much like a lot of us viewed Lutz at the time. 

With kickers, doesn't the draft really depend on openings far more than any other position? I would think that would be as big a factor as any if he considers going early. 

2 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I think you're right.  I'm sure the NFL will be calling soon enough and of course, who couldn't use millions?  ....but I, personally, can't imagine being a BMOC at a place like Auburn!

If he's financially doing okay (and I suspect he is...seems like a good family) then I can see him staying just to "enjoy the ride"!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Football's version of John Dailey?

2 minutes ago, PDub said:

Football's version of John Dailey?

Exactly, but without the complete self-destruction... 

He's actually had a GREAT career in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly, but without the complete self-destruction... 

He's actually had a GREAT career in the NFL.

Almost broke a record for 50 yarders or something of that nature a few weeks ago. I expect he will before the season's over, if he hasn't already.

Cody's not having a great run of it, unfortunately...

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But on the optimistic side, most of his issues are based on circumstance... a season ending injury followed by having to play a game that requires 6 field goals, when 2 days prior you weren't even on the team.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Almost broke a record for 50 yarders or something of that nature a few weeks ago. I expect he will before the season's over, if he hasn't already.

Yeah, I don't watch enough NFL to know but seems Cody's got the tools.  I'm guessing whatever he's got going on is mental.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

But on the optimistic side, most of his issues are based on circumstance... a season ending injury followed by having to play a game that requires 6 field goals, when 2 days prior you weren't even on the team.

Plus, I did read up on him..the game winner he missed was for 46 yards.  Not like he missed a chip-shot.  Although in the NFL, I do believe one's expected to make anything less than 50...

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Plus, I did read up on him..the game winner he missed was for 46 yards.  Not like he missed a chip-shot.  Although in the NFL, I do believe one's expected to make anything less than 50...

True about hitting anything under 50.  The other reason Parkey is catching hell for missing that kick is because Corey Lemonier had a strip sack fumble on Tannehill two plays earlier that set up the FG and gave the Browns a chance to win.  Just one he absolutely can't miss.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Even the coach isn't blaming him, since he was literally practicing at his house in Florida on Friday only to be asked to hit 6, all but one of which was over 40 yards, on Sunday.  He literally didn't practice with the team until pre-game warm-ups on Sunday.  He hit 3 of the 6 and another went off the upright. 

1 minute ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We have been blessed with several good kickers for the last 30+ years, but I do believe Carlson is the best out of the whole bunch.  If we can move the ball past the 50, I like our chances!

Absolutely right.

Plus, AU used to be known for having great punters too.... seems to not be quite as good right now...

I remember watching Terry Daniel punt the ball to Mars...  Lewis Colbert could coffin kick with the best of them (and as I recall, he kicked with literally half a foot)... Steven Clark was a good one.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely right.

Plus, AU used to be known for having great punters too.... seems to not be quite as good right now...

I remember watching Terry Daniel punt the ball to Mars...  Lewis Colbert could coffin kick with the best of them (and as I recall, he kicked with literally half a foot)... Steven Clark was a good one.

I agree.  I think Terry Daniel was the best punter we have ever had.  60 yard punts were the norm with him.  

He will forever be remembered thanks to Jackie Sherrill's idiocy.  

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I agree.  I think Terry Daniel was the best punter we have ever had.  60 yard punts were the norm with him.  

He will forever be remembered thanks to Jackie Sherrill's idiocy.  

I was at that game.  ...and I gotta say, though it ultimately was stupid for CJS to say those things about helium, I wondered if TD had a bionic leg.

Not only were they going 60 yards in the air, but they were the ugliest wounded ducks you ever saw!  He was kicking them that far with NO aerodynamics whatsoever.  That, alone, made the punts amazing!

27 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Even the coach isn't blaming him, since he was literally practicing at his house in Florida on Friday only to be asked to hit 6, all but one of which was over 40 yards, on Sunday.  He literally didn't practice with the team until pre-game warm-ups on Sunday.  He hit 3 of the 6 and another went off the upright. 

Going to grab him in fantasy right now... Didn't know where he was

Archived