bill simmons take shot at auburn and our state

aubiefifty

Apparently, Bill Simmons was in Auburn for the LSU game and took some video in Toomer's Corner. He used it in a bit on Any Given Wednesday discussing fired college coaches and their lucrative buyouts (he brought up Miles' $12.9 million buyout and Malzahn's potential $8.8 million buyout). He gave this quote about Auburn:

"Auburn fans cover trees with toilet paper after they win...needless to say, Trump state"

i will certainly not ever watch his show again..........

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AFTiger said:

Who is he?

The guy behind the ESPN 30 for 30 series, I think that's the same guy? :dunno:

8 minutes ago, AFTiger said:

Who is he?

I hope you are being sarcastic. He is only one of the best and well known sportswriters in the country. He is known as the sports guy. has had 2 books go number 1 on the new york times best seller list. Has his own show on HBO now after he gave a big F U and middle finger to ESPN on his way out haha. he had the balls to criticize goodell. He is the co creator of the ESPN 30 for 30 series as well. List goes on and on. Admittingly he is a "yankee" to the core. He has said numerous times he does not follow college athletics and a lot of it is because he is from boston where college sports obviously is not a big deal up there. Pro sports area and city through and through. He went to Holy Cross which either has no football team or no one cares about it. He had never been to a college game before saturday night. All jokes aside I am sure he enjoyed himself and I hope it opened his eyes how a college game atmosphere is much better than NFL game which is to corporate and the fans are not as passionate.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I hope you are being sarcastic. He is only one of the best and well known sportswriters in the country. He is known as the sports guy. has had 2 books go number 1 on the new york times best seller list. Has his own show on HBO now after he gave a big F U and middle finger to ESPN on his way out haha. he had the balls to criticize goodell. He is the co creator of the ESPN 30 for 30 series as well. List goes on and on. Admittingly he is a "yankee" to the core. He has said numerous times he does not follow college athletics and a lot of it is because he is from boston where college sports obviously is not a big deal up there. Pro sports area and city through and through. He went to Holy Cross which either has no football team or no one cares about it. He had never been to a college game before saturday night. All jokes aside I am sure he enjoyed himself and I hope it opened his eyes how a college game atmosphere is much better than NFL game which is to corporate and the fans are not as passionate.

Gotta admit..I never heard of him either.

I'm one of those that likes to make up my own mind about what I saw and not let these people try and tell me what I saw.

Sports writers are generally people who never actually played sports.  The only lockers they ever saw were the ones that they were stuffed in and trying to get out of...
I think that's why so many of them thrive on the negativity or sensationalism of sports.

What he thinks of Auburn will go up there with what I had for lunch 4 years ago today.  Don't remember...don't care.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I'm not kidding.  Never heard of the guy.  Don't listen to sports shows.  Apparently his opinion of the state of Alabama is no more relevant than any other media personality  with a bully pulpit to stand in.  

I enjoy sports, especially Auburn sports.  But I've never cared for talking heads who think they they are the end all, be all of everything sports related.  Finebaum, Skip Bayless, and the rest are just background noise.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me what they say about Auburn, SEC, the state of Alabama, etc.

59 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

"Auburn fans cover trees with toilet paper after they win...needless to say, Trump state"

I'd be more annoyed by this if my wife didn't have a similar opinion of rolling Toomers... I guess you just have to go to Auburn to get it.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'd be more annoyed by this it my wife didn't have a similar opinion of rolling Toomers... I guess you just have to go to Auburn to get it.

Now this part is damn true. Even people I know who are not fans of Auburn but do not hate us either have this same opinion. whatevs we love it thats all that matters.

There are one million outlets for talking heads, they all have a different opinion and all have one thing in common. They all seek attention.

Never let them see you sweat and no one can put you down, unless you agree with them.

simmons has a sports show on hbo once a week.on wednesdays i think. never cared to watch and sure will not now........

I could not care less what some talking head thinks about our traditions, especially some Yankee from Baaaaston. I listen to a lot of talk radio, as I'm always traveling, the one thing that is like someone driving nails under my fingernails is some Yankee incessantly yapping about the NFL. I, like some of you, never heard of this guy, and don't care if he ever comes back to Auburn.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'd be more annoyed by this if my wife didn't have a similar opinion of rolling Toomers... I guess you just have to go to Auburn to get it.

So does my wife here in Oregon. Nothing I say makes her understand.

I haven't heard of him but I Googled Holy Cross because of curiosity. Check out the Holy Cross fight song and you can see why he would be critical of a school with as much tradition as Auburn. War Eagle vs Chu Chu Rah Rah. Yeah, I'd be mad too. Also has Holt Cross ever won a football game? How would he know what to do to celebrate? 

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Now this part is damn true. Even people I know who are not fans of Auburn but do not hate us either have this same opinion. whatevs we love it thats all that matters.

Beats burning couches in Morgantown.

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So does my wife here in Oregon. Nothing I say makes her understand.

Shoot....I went to AU 50 years ago and don't even know when this became a "tradition".....and as to why?   Who knows...probably some drunk frat guys started doing it after a game and others thought it looked like fun....and there you go?:dunno:

Archived