bill simmons take shot at auburn and our state

aubiefifty

19 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Talking heads.  I quit watching them quite awhile ago.

BSPN = CNN/TMZ of sports.

He's not on ESPN.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'd be more annoyed by this if my wife didn't have a similar opinion of rolling Toomers... I guess you just have to go to Auburn to get it.

I've never been to Toomers after a game. Just not my thing. 

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

He's not on ESPN.

He used to be apparently.  Dude, earlier, said he's part creator of that 30 for 30 show...

Either way I still sleep like a baby. :jossun:

25 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

He used to be apparently.  Dude, earlier, said he's part creator of that 30 for 30 show...

Either way I still sleep like a baby. :jossun:

this was the dude and I abides. He got fired for taking repeated shots at goodell.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

this was the dude and I abides. He got fired for taking repeated shots at goodell.

Hey, nice marmot. B)

Once again I really enjoyed the polite, respectable crowd at Toomers Corner last night. It was so nice to see, so many Auburn families, with loving family values, telling their young kids to give my daughter a turn rolling the trees.

You see, they had T-paper and we didn't. So they were politely asking their sons to give my daughter a-little of their, so she could roll the trees. Wonderful atmosphere for wonderful Auburn fans.

Why would we expect some liberal so-called journalist from Boston to understand our traditions? It is perfectly excepable to that crowd, to discriminate against the south, to discriminate against our conservative family values, and to discriminate against Auburn!

Rather than witnessing trees being rolled by T paper, they would rather see people drunk and throwing-up all over the campus, while screaming obscenities at the opposing teams fans. That is normal to them, what we do, is simply not normal to them.

22 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I've never been to Toomers after a game. Just not my thing. 

I did it once for the 2010 Natty just for the experience. Nor my thing either. The eagle flight is my tradition of choice.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

I did it once for the 2010 Natty just for the experience. Nor my thing either. The eagle flight is my tradition of choice.

I absolutely love going to Toomer's after a win. I don't even have to roll the trees. Just being there and basking in the win with fellow Auburn fans is exceptional. I appreciate it more now that I'm just an alumnus. When I was a student, I would be working on the sideline during the game and by the time I got to Toomer's most of the people had left.

I'm a big fan of The Podfather but also in a vacuum and on the surface trying to explain the Toomers tradition can sound silly to those who don't "get it". As is the case for many traditions; real life and in sports

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:36 AM, AU64 said:

Shoot....I went to AU 50 years ago and don't even know when this became a "tradition".....and as to why?   Who knows...probably some drunk frat guys started doing it after a game and others thought it looked like fun....and there you go?:dunno:

Became a tradition in 1972 after the Punt Bama Punt game.  Our captain said we would "beat the #2 out of Bama" since they were ranked #2 in the country at the time of the game.  Thus, we won and threw toilet paper.

Thought this was one knucklehead on an Auburn rant but there's some sort of surge in anti Auburn rhetoric the last couple days. SI and their butthurt buddy Thamel (yes somehow he's still employed) says Auburn is the type of program that would win at any cost and will prove it by enduring public criticism and hiring art briles to keep up with saban. Our football last ran afoul of the ncaa 24 years ago! Then today jimbo Fisher - three years later - accused us if running an illegal O against bama. Not fsu, bama! Added to his blather that we stole his signs in 2013. Waiting for bielema to jump in. WTF is going on!

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thought this was one knucklehead on an Auburn rant but there's some sort of surge in anti Auburn rhetoric the last couple days. SI and their butthurt buddy Thamel (yes somehow he's still employed) says Auburn is the type of program that would win at any cost and will prove it by enduring public criticism and hiring art briles to keep up with saban. Our football last ran afoul of the ncaa 24 years ago! Then today jimbo Fisher - three years later - accused us if running an illegal O against bama. Not fsu, bama! Added to his blather that we stole his signs in 2013. Waiting for bielema to jump in. WTF is going on!

Honestly I actually wish the jackass was right that we were win at all costs but our track record of coaching hires using it as a metric shows we are certainly not. I mean we obviously already knew he knows nothing about Auburn because if he did he would know creed monsters would never let us hire Art Briles. We did not hire Petrino in 2012. If we were win at all costs we would of just hired him.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Ahhhh... The sure sign that Auburn football is on the rise.

Certain media segments and "programs" trying to head AU off at the pass...

Cue the recruiting questions from BSPN.

Maybe Auburn truly IS on the upswing!

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Ahhhh... The sure sign that Auburn football is on the rise.

Certain media segments and "programs" trying to head AU off at the pass...

Cue the recruiting questions from BSPN.

Maybe Auburn truly IS on the upswing!

Humm you may be on to something 72...........can't believe I'm saying that...........

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Honestly I actually wish the jackass was right that we were win at all costs but our track record of coaching hires using it as a metric shows we are certainly not. I mean we obviously already knew he knows nothing about Auburn because if he did he would know creed monsters would never let us hire Art Briles. We did not hire Petrino in 2012. If we were win at all costs we would of just hired him.

Not being in favor of writing multi-million dollar checks to rape enablers, entrusting them with a great deal of care over a hundred or so young men, or giving them major influence over a campus where over 13,000 women are enrolled makes one a "creed monster". Got it. 

i mean throwing toilet paper into trees to celebrate a win has to seem pretty funny to outsiders..... learn to laugh at yourselves a bit folks! 

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i mean throwing toilet paper into trees to celebrate a win has to seem pretty funny to outsiders..... learn to laugh at yourselves a bit folks! 

Amen.

Many of the responses in this thread only serve to amplify such observations. Some of y'all really go out of your way to perpetuate a reputation that should've been put to bed decades ago. 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

He just got a bur in his saddle because when he got to his motel, the TP holder was full of leaves.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not being in favor of writing multi-million dollar checks to rape enablers, entrusting them with a great deal of care over a hundred or so young men, or giving them major influence over a campus where over 13,000 women are enrolled makes one a "creed monster". Got it. 

The more stuff comes out the less Art Briles seemed to be involved. Thats what I am getting at.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The more stuff comes out the less Art Briles seemed to be involved. Thats what I am getting at.

Really? Because this seemed more like your thesis statement:

Hey, if you're cool with them hiring any scumbag off the street, then by all means, own it and go with it. I happen to disagree. Most of the guys in CFB aren't necessarily super duper human beings, but I'm pretty sure most of them draw the line at sweeping rape under the rug. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Really? Because this seemed more like your thesis statement:

Hey, if you're cool with them hiring any scumbag off the street, then by all means, own it and go with it. I happen to disagree. Most of the guys in CFB aren't necessarily super duper human beings, but I'm pretty sure most of them draw the line at sweeping rape under the rug. 

You seriously think Gus Malzahn would hang around anyone like that and call them a mentor? Art does not have a history of being some slimy scummy dude like a Petrino. Ok let me phrase it better even when/if Art is totally exonerated Auburn would never touch him because the PTB are to conservative. Better? 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hey Loof -

I think you missed the multi-page discussion, a couple of weeks back, about how Briles was likely thrown under the bus in order to draw attention away from problems higher up, and that all publicly available information points to the fact that he did exactly what he should have done in the two cases that involved the football program, which was kick them off the team the moment the allegations came to light.

So, while I completely agree with you on the point that Auburn shouldn't hire any scumbag off the street, Briles might not be the best example or someone you would want to label a "rape enabler" until all the facts are on the table.

34 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You seriously think Gus Malzahn would hang around anyone like that and call them a mentor? Art does not have a history of being some slimy scummy dude like a Petrino. Ok let me phrase it better even when/if Art is totally exonerated Auburn would never touch him because the PTB are to conservative. Better? 

Don't forget that we were recruiting Jonathan Taylor until the Ray Rice thing blew up and the media basically forced Gus to say we weren't recruiting him (anymore). 

If Briles is exonerated, then it's a different conversation. But yes, if you don't actually think we should "win at all costs" as you originally said, then we have no disagreement. 

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So, while I completely agree with you on the point that Auburn shouldn't hire any scumbag off the street, Briles might not be the best example or someone you would want to label a "rape enabler" until all the facts are on the table.

What else is on the table since the below? Point me to it, I'd love to not think a guy is capable of what the Pepper Hamilton report said Briles did (and didn't do).

“In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics,” the findings of fact released by the university said. “In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct.”

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What else is on the table since the below? Point me to it, I'd love to not think a guy is capable of what the Pepper Hamilton report said Briles did (and didn't do).

This was the main article everyone was looking at:
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Sources-question-whether-BU-sexual-assault-investigation-was-flawed-392649461.html

The university refuses to release the report from the investigator and only released their interpretation of the findings.  Several lawyers are suing for the original report. In the meantime, more than one person associated with the case has come out and said that Briles got a raw deal.  It's still a wait and see situation, but it really feels like a school trying to save their enrollment numbers by finding a witch to burn.

Archived