bill simmons take shot at auburn and our state

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What? I'll bring board games, Kool Aid, maybe an old VHS copy of 'Porky's' for after the squares go to bed. And just wait til I break out the magic tricks... 

Wow... Talk about going back in time.

Nice :popcorn:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm inclined to agree with @Tiger. Heck, forget the media, most Auburn fans *hate* it when the team is expected to do well because we never live up to lofty expectations. Our good seasons always come out of nowhere, except maybe that nice run in the mid aughts (when we still didn't make it back to the SECCG after '04). And when we have those good seasons, clunkers are usually not far behind. 

I don't really have strong feelings on it. And it's a good point that the NFL is much different than CFB in that way.

Last thing: Tiger's also right that you're solid, @GwillMac6. Love your attitude. I went in hard on you earlier and it bounced right off. I have a feeling we'll disagree from time to time, but I'll try to do my part to keep it fun. WDE

OHHHHHH so you were the one who thought I was some troll my first week here?! See if you do not have a avatar I have a hard time keeping up whos who! haha

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

OHHHHHH so you were the one who thought I was some troll my first week here?! See if you do not have a avatar I have a hard time keeping up whos who! haha

Haha, no, I didn't think you were a troll. We had a brief tete a tete about something, not sure I even remember what. I started it, though, lol.

Good intel about the avatar, though... I'll keep it that way ;)

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

See if you do not have a avatar I have a hard time keeping up whos who!

Just wait until someone prominent changes their avatar. That will totally throw you off.

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Just wait until someone prominent changes their avatar. That will totally throw you off.

Good thing I do not know who is prominent or not yet..... Well besides you of course! You get that Auburn is FOREVER fighting a uphill battle on the perception front in college football. Just curious if we can agree in: Do you agree like I do that if we would of won in 2013 which would of been twice in 4 years that how Auburn is viewed on that national landscape would or COULD have been forever changed? That game was so important for our program. Its why I still cannot get over it and probaly never will. Especially HOW we lost that game......

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What? I'll bring board games, Kool Aid, maybe an old VHS copy of 'Porky's' for after the squares go to bed. And just wait til I break out the magic tricks... 

Cool Daddy-O.....you must have been a beatnik from an earlier life have not heard the term square in like-forever man. You hip with Jack Kerouac I was always considered "a mazda"

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I should just to mess with Golf

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Cool Daddy-O.....you must have been a beatnik from an earlier life have not heard the term square in like-forever man. You hip with Jack Kerouac I was always considered "a mazda"

I read 'On the Road' so I think that makes me Allen Ginsberg's second cousin or something? 

A mazda? Lol, no clue.

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Good thing I do not know who is prominent or not yet..... Well besides you of course! You get that Auburn is FOREVER fighting a uphill battle on the perception front in college football. Just curious if we can agree in: Do you agree like I do that if we would of won in 2013 which would of been twice in 4 years that how Auburn is viewed on that national landscape would or COULD have been forever changed? That game was so important for our program. Its why I still cannot get over it and probaly never will. Especially HOW we lost that game......

You know... I'm honestly not sure that it would have mattered. I'd like to think that 2 in 4 years with one not having the whole Cam media mess would have given us some level of credibility as a real program, but we are already, statistically, the 12th best program in the history of college football and no one outside of Auburn gives a lick about that, so I'm sure the majority of people would have just shrugged it off and gone back to worshiping whatever member of football royalty they claim as their favorite.

I agree that it was a true heartbreaker, but what bugs me FAR more than the 11 second catch was the pulled hammy that gave them a score. Things like that make you wonder if, in some grand plan, we weren't supposed to win.

By the way, @GwillMac6.  One of the reasons that Auburn has never had the level of national recognition due to a team that is ranked 12th in history might actually surprise you.  It's because Auburn has historically been the #1 stingiest university in the country when it comes to licensing their brand.  Only in the last 5 or so years have the really opened it up and let companies make Auburn branded products.  Heck, it used to be that even local alumni groups were not supposed to make Auburn branded shirts without having them printed by a University authorized printer.

That's why, if you leave the South East, you'll find stuff to buy for every school in the region you are in, plus all of the football royalty, and often Florida, Miami, LSU, and a few others but almost never anything Auburn.  Even right after we won the National Championship.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I read 'On the Road' so I think thanik lnt makes me Allen Ginsberg's second cousin or something? 

A mazda? Lol, no clue.

" a mazda"= a really hip person....beatnik language ex. fuzz=police

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You know... I'm honestly not sure that it would have mattered. I'd like to think that 2 in 4 years with one not having the whole Cam media mess would have given us some level of credibility as a real program, but we are already, statistically, the 12th best program in the history of college football and no one outside of Auburn gives a lick about that, so I'm sure the majority of people would have just shrugged it off and gone back to worshiping whatever member of football royalty they claim as their favorite.

I agree that it was a true heartbreaker, but what bugs me FAR more than the 11 second catch was the pulled hammy that gave them a score. Things like that make you wonder if, in some grand plan, we weren't supposed to win.

Your probaly right. No one besides Auburn people have any idea of our rich tradition. It dang sure does not get talked about in the local state media much less National media.But 2 in 4 shows we are no "fluke" getting 1 is nice but 2 in 4  could of gone a long way. Your pulled hammy that haunts you is the fake punt. Like good grief we could all see it coming from a mile away. It was such a slow developing play it was torture. That was the entire game really. If we stop that we most likely go in for another TD and its out of reach. I think about these things to where some games it just seems its not meant to be for a team and that night it seemed like we were just not meant to win. I also think dang if that PI is not called on Chris Davis they would of had 4th down and who knows what would of happened there. It is a heck of a lot easier to defend a 4th down from like the 7 than a 1st and goal from the 1.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

By the way, @GwillMac6.  One of the reasons that Auburn has never had the level of national recognition due to a team that is ranked 12th in history might actually surprise you.  It's because Auburn has historically been the #1 stingiest university in the country when it comes to licensing their brand.  Only in the last 5 or so years have the really opened it up and let companies make Auburn branded products.  Heck, it used to be that even local alumni groups were not supposed to make Auburn branded shirts without having them printed by a University authorized printer.

That's why, if you leave the South East, you'll find stuff to buy for every school in that region, plus all of the football royalty, and often Florida, Miami, LSU, and a few others but almost never anything Auburn.  Even right after we won the National Championship.

so basically your saying its JABA?! haha thats a huge huge Just Auburn being Auburn fact right there. thats ridiculous!!!

On 10/1/2016 at 9:36 AM, AU64 said:

Shoot....I went to AU 50 years ago and don't even know when this became a "tradition".....and as to why?   Who knows...probably some drunk frat guys started doing it after a game and others thought it looked like fun....and there you go?:dunno:

I graduated in '69 and stayed on campus as an AU researcher until '76. The only gathering at Toomer's I remember is when one of the Sullivan/Beasley teams beat somebody, maybe Clemson or Kentucky, by 50-something to almost nothing in the afternoon and then that night, everybody in Lee County must have been listening to the radio as Vandy beat bammer in Tuskaloser. A huge crowd gathered at Toomer's corner celebrating the "dual wins". Dean Foy was summoned to quell the riot and he led cheers until the excitement wore off and all went home. I don't know when the toilet paper thing started. It could have been back then but if so I don't remember it. I certainly never brought kids and toilet paper to Toomer's and had it been a thing at that time I would probably have done so.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I graduated in '69 and stayed on campus as an AU researcher until '76. The only gathering at Toomer's I remember is when one of the Sullivan/Beasley teams beat somebody, maybe Clemson or Kentucky, by 50-something to almost nothing in the afternoon and then that night, everybody in Lee County must have been listening to the radio as Vandy beat bammer in Tuskaloser. A huge crowd gathered at Toomer's corner celebrating the "dual wins". Dean Foy was summoned to quell the riot and he led cheers until the excitement wore off and all went home. I don't know when the toilet paper thing started. It could have been back then but if so I don't remember it. I certainly never brought kids and toilet paper to Toomer's and had it been a thing at that time I would probably have done so.

Dean Foy was summoned to quell the riot

Love it.....Dean Foy was quite a guy....very student oriented. I think he also "quelled" the panty raid episodes back in my day....students seemed to listen to him and some of his letters to bama and other schools on behalf of AU students are classics.

On 10/1/2016 at 10:36 AM, AU64 said:

Shoot....I went to AU 50 years ago and don't even know when this became a "tradition".....and as to why?   Who knows...probably some drunk frat guys started doing it after a game and others thought it looked like fun....and there you go?:dunno:

Hey I take offense to that :angry:........................I was there at the same time never heard of it while at AU

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Hey I take offense to that :angry:........................I was there at the same time never heard of it while at AU

My intent was....never heard or saw it when I was there.....and then just speculating about how it got started.  It did cross my mind that you might have been a charter  participant of the event....:)     but maybe no?

Just now, AU64 said:

My intent was....never heard or saw it when I was there.....and then just speculating about how it got started.  It did cross my mind that you might have been a charter  participant of the event....:)     but maybe no?

maybe I was there and just don't remember...........humm

Per Auburn's website... for the record:

The tradition of rolling Toomer's Corner is said to have begun when Toomer's Drugs had the only telegraph in the city. During away football games, when employees of the local drug store received news of a win, they would throw the ticker tape from the telegraph onto the power lines.

The beginning of the tradition of throwing toilet paper into the trees, power lines and every other stationary object on the corner is open to debate.

"We celebrated Pat Sullivan winning the Heisman Trophy there in 1971 and no toilet paper was tossed," said David Housel, Auburn Athletics Director Emeritus. "That started a year later when we celebrated the 17-16 victory over Alabama in the `Punt, Bama, Punt' game."

So... apparently, if you were there for Punt, bama, Punt, and you don't remember rolling the trees... you were too drunk.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Per Auburn's website... for the record:

The tradition of rolling Toomer's Corner is said to have begun when Toomer's Drugs had the only telegraph in the city. During away football games, when employees of the local drug store received news of a win, they would throw the ticker tape from the telegraph onto the power lines.

The beginning of the tradition of throwing toilet paper into the trees, power lines and every other stationary object on the corner is open to debate.

"We celebrated Pat Sullivan winning the Heisman Trophy there in 1971 and no toilet paper was tossed," said David Housel, Auburn Athletics Director Emeritus. "That started a year later when we celebrated the 17-16 victory over Alabama in the `Punt, Bama, Punt' game."

So... apparently, if you were there for Punt, bama, Punt, and you don't remember rolling the trees... you were too drunk.

Seems I've heard that sometime in the past.....and certainly that was more than adequate reason.  Never have been there for it...usually eager to get out of town after a game and head back to North Carolina....but it's fun to watch the celebrations ....and to have those good reasons to celebrate too.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems I've heard that sometime in the past.....and certainly that was more than adequate reason.  Never have been there for it...usually eager to get out of town after a game and head back to North Carolina....but it's fun to watch the celebrations ....and to have those good reasons to celebrate too.

I'll never forget being there after the 93 Iron Bowl.  It looked like Christmas on College Street for several days, but being in the center of Toomers during the celebration was indescribable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Any Given Wednesday, the weekly HBO talk show hosted by Bill Simmons, will finish its run on Wednesday, Nov. 9 and will not return to the network next season.

The decision was mutually agreed upon by HBO and Simmons, who joined the network in July of 2015. In the past year, Simmons has created the Bill Simmons Media Group, which is responsible for a wide range of linear and digital initiatives including the debut of The Ringer website, developing new content and assets, and re-launching the leading podcast franchise in the sports industry.

Bill Simmons: “One of the many reasons I joined HBO was to see if we could create a show built around smart conversations for sports fans and pop culture junkies. We loved making that show, but unfortunately it never resonated with audiences like we hoped. And that’s on me. But I love being a part of HBO’s family and look forward to innovating with them on other ambitious programming ideas over these next several years - both for the network and for digital. With that said, I want to thank the dedicated staff that worked so diligently with me behind the scenes to make this show every week - we hired so many great and talented people and I loved having them in my life. It’s difficult for me to imagine not working with them anymore.”

“HBO is committed to Bill Simmons, and we are excited to bring his unique vision to bear on an array of new programming initiatives under the HBO Sports banner in 2017,” said Peter Nelson, executive vice president, HBO Sports. “Bill is an award-winning executive producer in the documentary arena, and we will work closely with him in developing new and engaging content for our subscribers.”

Source Deadspin.com

Thanks AU57

Couldn't happen to a better candidate.  Guess he is part of the current school of journalism which thinks it's their job to create news.   Under the guise of "smart conversation" they toss our controversial comments hoping there will be sufficient reaction to create an audience.....the al.com approach.     Unfortunately for him, viewers obviously voted with their fingers....by changing channels when his show came on.   :byebye:

Archived