1997 Auburn Baseball Team Surprises David Ross for His Retirement

That opening segment at the Tallahassee regional was great.  I was THERE. On the 3rd base side.  It was epic but that homer doesn't tell the entire story.  Auburn was down 7-3 when we came to bat in the 9th.  We had already plated 2 runs in the inning.  The pitch before the homer, was barely fouled off, but the fsu dugout thought it was strike 3 and the game was over.  They came flying out of the dugout to celebrate only to find the home plate umpire, signalling emphatically it was a foul ball.  The next pitch....GONE.. Auburn wins 8-7.   I will never forget it.    Met Hal Baird quite a few years ago and we talked about it.  He couldn't believe I was there.  Terrific Auburn moment.

18 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Love it! True AU man, but does anyone know the reason he transferred to UF when he was here? 

Yes. He was 2nd string catcher behind Casey Dunn and he wanted to start somewhere for his senior year. Coach Baird gave him his release, which allowed him to play the next season. Transfer rules for baseball have changed since then.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes. He was 2nd string catcher behind Casey Dunn and he wanted to start somewhere for his senior year. Coach Baird gave him his release, which allowed him to play the next season. Transfer rules for baseball have changed since then.

Thanks for clarifying! Appreciate it! 

Archived