Men's Scrimmage 10-1-16

jared52

Watched the first half of the AU scrimmage and here are some random thoughts:

• AU starting to look like a Pearl team. Long and athletic.
  • Spencer has shoulders now and looks like he won't be as easy to move inside.
  • Heron is a tall guard, but has quickness to burn.
  • You didn't hear much about Anfernee McLemore. You will. He will be good.
  • Purifoy might be the most explosive player at AU since Chris Porter. Doesn't have his hops, but he explodes to the rim.
  • New played with the "scout" team. Still has on a brace so he might be rehabbing still. 
  • LaRon Smith is a new face that looks like he will get some decent minutes, but teams will foul him if he touches the ball. His FT shot is a form only his momma can love.
  • It was pretty obvious it was the second day of practice. A LOT of missed shots from outside. I think only the "scout" team hit a three. 

11 hours ago, jared52 said:

• You didn't he are much about Anfernee McLemore. You will. He will be good.
  • Purifoy might be the most explosive player at AU since Chris Porter. Doesn't have his hops, but he explodes to the rim.
  • New played with the "scout" team. Still has on a brace so he might be rehabbing still. 
  • LaRon Smith is a new face that looks like he will get some decent minutes, but teams will foul him if he touches the ball. His FT shot is a form only his momma can love.
  • It was pretty obvious it was the second day of practice. A LOT of missed shots from outside. I think only the "scout" team hit a three. 

That's a surprise. They have played a lot of open gyms the past 2 months and by all accounts Heron, Brown, and Harper were all filling it up from downtown

On 10/1/2016 at 10:19 PM, jared52 said:

Is it any worse than Shawn Marion?

Thanks for the info.  I am hoping McLemore can contribute, we will definitely need it. Saw him play in high school and the kid is relentless.  Looks like we'll have a really deep team this year

I didn't see a scrimmage but watched a good 20 minutes of practice on Saturday. Heron nailed some beautiful 3s (uncontested, to be fair) before doing some individual short-range practice at one of the side mid court baskets. 

On 10/2/2016 at 10:00 AM, ellitor said:

That's a surprise. They have played a lot of open gyms the past 2 months and by all accounts Heron, Brown, and Harper were all filling it up from downtown

Might have just been the excitement of playing in front of people. I expect to see them light it up as the season gets going.

On 10/3/2016 at 9:13 AM, kwren34 said:

Is it any worse than Shawn Marion?

Had to watch some video to be sure, but yes. Yes it is. It's hard to explain. He really just pushes the ball with one hand instead of shooting it. I've seen video of his hook shot and it's sweet. It would look a lot better if he just hooked his FTs.

On 10/3/2016 at 8:35 PM, tigermac said:

Thanks for the info.  I am hoping McLemore can contribute, we will definitely need it. Saw him play in high school and the kid is relentless.  Looks like we'll have a really deep team this year

He will. He doesn't look like a FR at all. He moves really well.

5 hours ago, jared52 said:

Had to watch some video to be sure, but yes. Yes it is. It's hard to explain. He really just pushes the ball with one hand instead of shooting it. I've seen video of his hook shot and it's sweet. It would look a lot better if he just hooked his FTs.

Does it go in, though? Or is the result as ugly as the form?

Great Info and I am tickled about McLemore looking good as with the upgrades at PG, SG, SF with the new players including Purifoy as a new player and others having more experience we should be better there. The key to this season is our holding our own at PF and Center. Glad to hear Spencer has added muscle I hope he has also added some O. At least enough to keep other teams honest. How Smith, McLemore and Spencer along with Purifoy hold down the PF and Center will determine how good we are.

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Does it go in, though? Or is the result as ugly as the form?

I think he was 0-6 in the half I saw.

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great Info and I am tickled about McLemore looking good as with the upgrades at PG, SG, SF with the new players including Purifoy as a new player and others having more experience we should be better there. The key to this season is our holding our own at PF and Center. Glad to hear Spencer has added muscle I hope he has also added some O. At least enough to keep other teams honest. How Smith, McLemore and Spencer along with Purifoy hold down the PF and Center will determine how good we are.

I expect Spencer to command some attention in the post this season. The progression he made over the course of last season has carried over and he handles himself MUCH better with the ball and off the ball on offense.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Is this an article or your own personal thoughts as far as the bullets go?

Totally my opinions.

Either we can score or our defense sucks. I'm interested in how purifoy plays. I'm hoping for a more skilled Brandon Robinson, who I think is the most athletic swing guy I think we've had. Either him or Gabriel, but I'd say him.

Jamison brewer is the most athletic point.

And I don't know as far as big men. 

But yeah i guess we'll see soon

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Either we can score or our defense sucks. I'm interested in how purifoy plays. I'm hoping for a more skilled Brandon Robinson, who I think is the most athletic swing guy I think we've had. Either him or Gabriel, but I'd say him.

Jamison brewer is the most athletic point.

And I don't know as far as big men. 

But yeah i guess we'll see soon

Yeah, that's what Bruce said in his latest video. And we won't know until games start. I think it's both from what I saw though. 

On October 1, 2016 at 10:19 PM, jared52 said:

He shot 12/15 from the line so they can foul him all they want if he shoots like that

2 minutes ago, AdamsAU said:

He shot 12/15 from the line so they can foul him all they want if he shoots like that

In that scrimmage? Maybe he hit some in the second half, but he was pretty bad the first half. Frankly, I will take it with all the other plusses in his game.

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, that's what Bruce said in his latest video. And we won't know until games start. I think it's both from what I saw though. 

Oh ok. Do you have a link to the video?? I do know our defense could be exponentially better if we could play true big men in the post and let purifoy guard a 2 or 3. This would also help mask weaknesses we'd have from playing Harper in the line up....But I'm not going to get off topic and derail the thread, I'm assuming most know how I feel as far as that. But yeah I'm super interested and I'm hoping we'll be as good as many are thinking we'll be

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

In that scrimmage? Maybe he hit some in the second half, but he was pretty bad the first half. Frankly, I will take it with all the other plusses in his game.

Im just going off of the stat sheet (which I tried to post a pic of but did not work)

Laron Smith - 26 PTS (7/9 FG 12/15 FT) 11 REB

I was there too and his shot is very weird and unusual, but it was going in. I was surprised 

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh ok. Do you have a link to the video?? I do know our defense could be exponentially better if we could play true big men in the post and let purifoy guard a 2 or 3. This would also help mask weaknesses we'd have from playing Harper in the line up....But I'm not going to get off topic and derail the thread, I'm assuming most know how I feel as far as that. But yeah I'm super interested and I'm hoping we'll be as good as many are thinking we'll be

Started a new thread with it for visibility.

9 minutes ago, AdamsAU said:

Im just going off of the stat sheet (which I tried to post a pic of but did not work)

Laron Smith - 26 PTS (7/9 FG 12/15 FT) 11 REB

I was there too and his shot is very weird and unusual, but it was going in. I was surprised 

Ha, maybe I was so blinded by his shot that I just thought he missed. :D

Archived