Upon Further Review - ULM Game

StatTiger

• Last season through 5 games, Auburn's offense had produced 7 plays of 30-yards or more. This season they have 13 such plays.

• 54.8 percent of Auburn's snaps went for at least 5-yards, a season high. The Auburn defense held ULM to 26.2 percent, a season best for the Tigers.

• After defending 42 snaps during the first half, the Tigers defended only 23 during the second-half. The key was a 17-play, 86-yard drive that milked 10:55 off the fourth quarter.

• 48.3 percent of the snaps defended by the Auburn defense has resulted in 2-yards or less. Last year through 5 games it was 41.1 percent.

• Auburn passed the ball 30.4 percent of the time during the first-half and only 10.5 percent during the second-half.

• Last year through 5 games, Auburn's offense produced 24 plays of 15-yards (impact plays). This season they have 44 through 5 games.

• Speaking of impact plays and their importance... Auburn has produced 29 scoring drives this season and 27 of those possessions had at least 1 impact play during the drive.

• John Franklin III has rushed for 203-yards on 16 carries this season.

• Tony Stevens recorded his first 100-yard game. It was only the third such performance during the past two seasons. Auburn had 11 from 2013-2014.

• Through 5 games, Auburn's defense has been forced to defend a short field on six occasions (50-yards or less). The Tigers have defended 20 snaps, allowing only 3.1 yards per play and the opponent has scored only 3 field goals. Last season the Auburn defense defended 14 short fields, allowing 4.4 yards per play and 8 touchdowns scored.

• During Kerryon Johnson's first 56 carries of the season, he was tackled for a loss 6 times. During his last 46 carries, he has not been tackled for a loss.

• The Auburn defense is currently allowing 3.68 yards per rush during the first-half and 5.10 yards during the second-half.

• Auburn's front-7 accounted for over 70 percent of the team's tackles against ULM, which was a season high. In comparison, Auburn's front-7 accounted for 52 percent of the team's tackles against Arkansas State.

• Auburn's pass-offense currently ranks No. 10 among the last 25 Auburn offenses in pass-efficiency on 1st down. The primary reason is Auburn's 6.9 yards per pass attempt, which ranks No. 21 among the last 25 Auburn pass-offenses.

• Beginning with the Mississippi State game of 2014, Auburn's defense went 17 consecutive games without holding the opponent to "3 & out" during at least 33 percent of the possessions defended. During Auburn's last 9 games, the defense has reached the goal six times.

• Prior to the Arkansas State game this season, Auburn had won the third-down battle in only 5 of their previous 16 games. Auburn is currently on a streak of 4 games, where they have won the third-down battle. Auburn's longest streak since Gus Malzahn has been associated with the Auburn offense has been seven consecutive games.

• During his 11 career starts, Sean White has fumbled the ball 7 times. During Nick Marshall's 25 career starts, Marshall had 17 fumbles.

• Sean White is currently the No. 3 rated passer in the SEC and No. 31 nationally.
  • Auburn's run-defense is currently holding their opponent to 12.4 percent below their rushing average. This is an improvement from the -4.5 percent of 2015 but short of the -14.1 percent from 2014. The average over the past 25 seasons has been -16.9 percent.

• Beginning with the 2013 Ole Miss game, Auburn out-rushed their opponent 19 consecutive game. During the 22 games since the streak, Auburn has out-rushed their opponent 12 times.

• From 1996-2016, Auburn is now 58-3 in games they don't lose the tackle for loss battle, turnover battle and first down battle (yards per play). The three losses were to USC and Georgia during the 2002 season and the 2003 Ole Miss game.

• Auburn's 688-yards was the fourth most total yardage gained against an opponent in school history.

• Gus Malzahn's offense has 14 of Auburn's top-25 total yardage games.

• Gus Malzahn's offense has accounted for over 1/3 of Auburn's 500-yard games in school history.

• During the Pat Dye era (12 seasons), Auburn produced (20) 300-yard rushing games. During the Tommy Tuberville eta (10 seasons), Auburn had (6) 300-yard rushing games. Since Gus Malzahn has been at Auburn (7th season), his run-offense has produced (24) 300-yard rushing games.

• Auburn is currently No. 1 in the SEC in run-offense and No. 10 nationally. Against Power-5 competition Auburn is No. 7 in the SEC and No. 50 nationally.

• If you are writing off Auburn's success against Arkansas State and La-Monroe, consider the following: During Auburn's 26 games against lesser opponents of the same caliber from 2007-2015, Auburn out gained their opponent by an average of 157-yards and out scored the opponent by an average of 27 points. This season Auburn out gained Arkansas State and La-Monroe by an average of 408-yards and 44 points per game.

War Eagle!
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

John Franklin III has rushed for 203-yards on 16 carries this season.

Just curious here.  He had 2 carries yesterday.  I noticed several zone reads where he could have kept and made good yardage outside.  Is he misreading the zone read, or do you think the coaches shut him down for some reason and told him to give on all those plays?

So SW is fumbling at a little lesser rate than NM. Interesting....Of course he isn't carrying as often. How many carries/game did NM avg? How many carries/gm does Sw avg?

Edited by doug3020

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Just curious here.  He had 2 carries yesterday.  I noticed several zone reads where he could have kept and made good yardage outside.  Is he misreading the zone read, or do you think the coaches shut him down for some reason and told him to give on all those plays?

The last possession, was all about running clock.

7 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

So SW is fumbling at a little lesser rate than NM. Interesting....Of course he isn't carrying as often. How many carries/game did NM avg? How many carries/gm does Sw avg?

White has to clean up his fumbles. Marshall had fumble issues too and both players had smaller hands than normal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

White has to clean up his fumbles. Marshall had fumble issues too and both players had smaller hands than normal.

I agree SW needs to protect the ball better. That said, it was a beautiful blitz that caused his latest.

11 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

I whole heartedly agree. I didn't realize NM laid it on the ground that often. 

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
7 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Of course White's last 2 fumbles came when he was blindsided while trying to pass, which is as much on his blockers as it is him.

Edited by lionheartkc

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course White's last 2 fumbles came when he was blindsided while trying to pass, which is as much on his blockers as it is him.

The fumble against ULM was a safety blitz up the A-gap, which White should have seen. Lashlee said he has to see that coming. Taking a sack would have been on blocking but he should have seen it coming to prevent fumbling the football.

• Like 2

I know everyone plays patsies, but at the moment we truly are a tale of two seasons. While our D has been consistent over the season, our offense has 2 games against bad football teams and we just crush them, and 3 games against very good competition where our offense looks very pedestrian. This week will say a lot to me offensively. If we again look average on O then that is what our offense is. If we can break over the hump and score some points then I think we can all feel positive about it. We have to do it against SEC and the better teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I know everyone plays patsies, but at the moment we truly are a tale of two seasons. While our D has been consistent over the season, our offense has 2 games against bad football teams and we just crush them, and 3 games against very good competition where our offense looks very pedestrian. This week will say a lot to me offensively. If we again look average on O then that is what our offense is. If we can break over the hump and score some points then I think we can all feel positive about it. We have to do it against SEC and the better teams.

I agree with you.

The one really GOOD thing that we can take away from AU crushing the patsies, though, is this:  In 2014 (probably) and 2015 (definitely) AU would have possibly lost to Arky State and would have only beaten ULm by a score of something like 34-24, with it still being a game going into the 4th qtr (and possibly beyond).

So, at least, the Tigers are dispatching the lower tier teams appropriately this year.  ....OH, and if this team were playing like last year's team, Gus would be the one fired and Les would have 1 more year to turn LSU around...

Small victories for sure... but I'll take 'em for now.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

While I am also in a bit of wait and see mode, I think Stat covered this extremely well in his last bullet point.

47 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I am also in a bit of wait and see mode, I think Stat covered this extremely well in his last bullet point.

While a good point, I would think one would have to look at the relationship to power 5 type teams during that same time. How did we perform against those teams- Wins/losses, outgain the opponent or the opponent out gains us. Just from an antidotal point, I would think we were winning most of those power 5 games and outperforming the competition. And lastly, Arky State and ULM are just bad this year. They seem to be on the lower tier of their type teams.

I think this week tells us a lot and frankly I am pretty positive about it. I think we score in the 30 point range.

17 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

. And lastly, Arky State and ULM are just bad this year. They seem to be on the lower tier of their type teams.

If it makes you feel better, look at Oklahoma's numbers against ULM.  We had 40 more yards that Oklahoma, Sean had 5 fewer yards than Baker Mayfield, but a much better completion percentage and a 2 yard per attempt better average.  We had over 120 more yards on the ground. Oh.. and we held them to 100 fewer yards and 7 fewer points, and we played our second team D for half of the game.

Oklahoma isn't a world beater, this year, but they just handed TCU a butt whipping and gave undefeated Houston a run for it, so I'd say that the fact that we handled ULM better overall says 1 of 2 things, either we have the potential to be a really good team against anyone, or Oklahoma didn't try very hard against ULM and we're still a good team.

Along the same lines, our win against LSU looks much better after they beat Missouri like a red headed step child, WITHOUT Fournette.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:28 PM, StatTiger said:

Auburn is currently No. 1 in the SEC in run-offense and No. 10 nationally. Against Power-5 competition Auburn is No. 7 in the SEC and No. 50 nationally.

Considering the quality of the defenses we've played this season so far - I'm pretty happy with that. Especially when you take into consideration how well the defenses know our offensive schemes.

During Kerryon Johnson's first 56 carries of the season, he was tackled for a loss 6 times. During his last 46 carries, he has not been tackled for a loss.

Good stat. I was about to call BS on you that 24 carries were vs a weak LaMO D but 22 were vs LSU. Looks like KJ is moving forward and so is the play calling.