Tory Carter LSU Commit

AuburnNTexas

Tory is a 6'2" 255 pound Fullback from Georgia who has made a verbal commitment to LSU. I saw he was at the ULM game this past week.  I don't believe we have offered him but I was wondering since we like big blocking FB's if we are starting to show any interest in him. If we are interested I would think that canning of Les would help us.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Tory is a 6'2" 255 pound Fullback from Georgia who has made a verbal commitment to LSU. I saw he was at the ULM game this past week.  I don't believe we have offered him but I was wondering since we like big blocking FB's if we are starting to show any interest in him. If we are interested I would think that canning of Les would help us.

Unless we see him as a TE I don't see us offering. As of last week there were no plans to offer or sign a HB in this class.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Unless we see him as a TE I don't see us offering. As of last week there were no plans to offer or sign a HB in this class.

I guess that's true but seems to have been a weakness for AU offense for a couple years.  He might not be the solution but ...JMO...we need some help there if we are going to continue to run the current offense.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess that's true but seems to have been a weakness for AU offense for a couple years.  He might not be the solution but ...JMO...we need some help there if we are going to continue to run the current offense.

Just a guess but I think Perfect goes back to HB after the new RBs come in, especially if Cox has not picked up on his blocking. Something Pettway has done well when he played HB.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Just a guess but I think Perfect goes back to HB after the new RBs come in, especially if Cox has not picked up on his blocking. Something Pettway has done well when he played HB.

Would hate that, unless it's a true 2 back O.

9 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Would hate that, unless it's a true 2 back O.

The staff really apparently likes Miller as a power back going forward after this year.

I don't mind Pettway going back to HB. Probably best for Auburn and I'm assuming he projects more as a FB in the NFL than an RB, hopefully more in the Peyton Hillis/Mike Tolbert mode where he would be used a little more as a skill player and not just as a blocker. And Gus used Hillis in a very versatile way as a FB at Arkansas. He really might be the guy we hoped Cox would be, and a great HB can really make this offense hum. 

I'm also optimistic about Miller. AU fans are really sleeping on him. Much like KJ was supposed to be the too-small scat-back, Miller was supposed to be the too-slow FB. (And here we are lamenting the possibility of Pettway moving back to FB/HB...)

Sorry. I'm all for chasing a quality FB if Cox doesn't figure some things out. If Carter's that guy, let's give him a look. One thing I'd say to the OP, though, is that we've only had one guy who fits that FB prototype mold under Gus. I'd argue that Prosch was almost a "really athletic guard" whereas the rest have been "oversized RBs" (Hillis, Fannin, Smith, Pettway) or "stocky TEs" (Lutz, Fulse, Uzomah). Cox might fall more into that Prosch category in terms of dimensions, but he's not really showing even a whisper of Prosch's blocking ability yet. He's a heck of a pass catcher, but I don't know if he'll get to display that in this year's version of the offense. 

Moving Pettway back to HB makes some sense except that he's so good with the ball in his hands. His feet are a lot quicker than Miller's (at least in the limited time I've seen either guy with the ball in his hands). I suspect Pettway is going to play both roles. Cox is going to continue to develop. Pettway can be used to spell either Cox or Kerryon and get plenty of time on the field in that hybrid role.

I'd love to see Pettway in a hybrid role if we truly used him, seems a waste talent not to have him on the field in some capacity. Cox seems like a all around good baller and great teammate but his blocking skills aren't where they need to be yet. 

I get we aren't looking for a true FB but IF this kid is just a monster blocker (Prosch like potential), we may wanna take a hard look. Something to be said for beast back there who specializes in that role. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I'd love to see Pettway in a hybrid role if we truly used him, seems a waste talent not to have him on the field in some capacity. Cox seems like a all around good baller and great teammate but his blocking skills aren't where they need to be yet. 

I get we aren't looking for a true FB but IF this kid is just a monster blocker (Prosch like potential), we may wanna take a hard look. Something to be said for beast back there who specializes in that role. 

I opened this thread I don't know that this kid is a beast back there. It was more that with Cox not meeting our expectations up to this point (He might still become Prosch like) are we looking at another player of this ilk.  It could have been this kid or another, I picked him because of his size, because LSU liked him, and because he did come to ULM game so I thought we might have some interest.

18 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I opened this thread I don't know that this kid is a beast back there. It was more that with Cox not meeting our expectations up to this point (He might still become Prosch like) are we looking at another player of this ilk.  It could have been this kid or another, I picked him because of his size, because LSU liked him, and because he did come to ULM game so I thought we might have some interest.

Oh yeah, I totally get that and really, my thoughts apply to any potential Fullback possibility not just this kid. 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like a Carl Stewart type role. 

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 11:05 AM, McLoofus said:

I don't mind Pettway going back to HB. Probably best for Auburn and I'm assuming he projects more as a FB in the NFL than an RB, hopefully more in the Peyton Hillis/Mike Tolbert mode where he would be used a little more as a skill player and not just as a blocker. And Gus used Hillis in a very versatile way as a FB at Arkansas. He really might be the guy we hoped Cox would be, and a great HB can really make this offense hum. 

I'm also optimistic about Miller. AU fans are really sleeping on him. Much like KJ was supposed to be the too-small scat-back, Miller was supposed to be the too-slow FB. (And here we are lamenting the possibility of Pettway moving back to FB/HB...)

Sorry. I'm all for chasing a quality FB if Cox doesn't figure some things out. If Carter's that guy, let's give him a look. One thing I'd say to the OP, though, is that we've only had one guy who fits that FB prototype mold under Gus. I'd argue that Prosch was almost a "really athletic guard" whereas the rest have been "oversized RBs" (Hillis, Fannin, Smith, Pettway) or "stocky TEs" (Lutz, Fulse, Uzomah). Cox might fall more into that Prosch category in terms of dimensions, but he's not really showing even a whisper of Prosch's blocking ability yet. He's a heck of a pass catcher, but I don't know if he'll get to display that in this year's version of the offense. 

There are no plans atm to move Pettway back to HB. Imo he is a stud at the rb position. Like McLoofus said though if we do make that move in the future it will have to be a P Hillis was us3d at Arkansas. Pettway is way too good of a runner to be put in a mainly blocking role like Prosch was and really Cox is currently being used. Cox definitely needs improvement with his blocking but he is a true sophomore and will end up being very good imo.  Pettway is a better runner than Hillis was imo. Hillis was lethal catching the ball though which I might add KP is pretty good at also.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Totally okay with that, too!

I just think we would waste a big time talent running the football if we moved him back to HB. KP is the type of runner that fits our system very good one cut and gets downhill fast. A big worry for me about KJ was that he danced around too much like Rock Thomas and we need a rb that gets downhill in a hurry. Tre MASON who was the perfect fit was a one cut get downhill type of runner. KJ has gotten A LOT better and is doing a good job of hitting the hole instead of trying to turn every run into a big gain. IMO this was the main reason Roc was never successfull or ever going to be successfull in our offense.

16 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I just think we would waste a big time talent running the football if we moved him back to HB. KP is the type of runner that fits our system very good one cut and gets downhill fast. A big worry for me about KJ was that he danced around too much like Rock Thomas and we need a rb that gets downhill in a hurry. Tre MASON who was the perfect fit was a one cut get downhill type of runner. KJ has gotten A LOT better and is doing a good job of hitting the hole instead of trying to turn every run into a big gain. IMO this was the main reason Roc was never successfull or ever going to be successfull in our offense.

Heck yeah, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Leave the kid at tailback and let's roll. Need another real blocking back though. 

22 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Heck yeah, don't fix it if it ain't broke. Leave the kid at tailback and let's roll. Need another real blocking back though. 

That's the thing. It is broke, as you pointed out, because we haven't been getting what we need at HB. If Miller can give us *almost* as good as KP at RB next year, then moving KP back to HB might really improve the offense overall if Cox hasn't improved significantly. Gus knows how to get the ball to the HB. In 2009 and 2010, Mario Fannin got 76 touches for 698 yards/3 touchdowns and 78 touches for 568 yards/7 touchdowns, respectively. Pettway's currently on track for a little more production than that this season- twice as many touches and about 190 more total yards- but this is also the point in the season where Gus's RB1 typically separates himself, and that's looking to be KJ. 

That's all a long winded way of saying that Pettway might be able to do almost as much with the ball at HB while doing a lot more to protect the QB and help the offense overall. 

Edit: But again, if he keeps toting the rock, I'll be just fine with that. I really enjoy watching the guy run. 

Fannin wasn't really playing H-Back in 2009. He was playing something like the role we wanted Roc Thomas to play. Fannin was primarily a slot receiver who also motioned into different positions in the backfield (both tailback and upback). Our HB/TE role was filled primarily by Tommy Trott (11 receptions) and Eric Smith (20 carries and 17 receptions). Lutz also spent some time in the hybrid role as a freshman that year.

The last two games where we were running and throwing so well. I was not paying attention to Cox but is it safe to say that his blocking improved?

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The last two games where we were running and throwing so well. I was not paying attention to Cox but is it safe to say that his blocking improved?

Yes, it has been discussed. His blocking is not perfect but seems to be improved.

On 10/10/2016 at 1:39 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

as good as prosch turned out to be as a dominant blocker ... he was not that way the first few games of the year.  there was one game where it seemed to come together for him ... maybe around the 4th or 5th game?  of course, then he turned into one of the most dynamic blockers that i can remember.

Archived