Plug JFIII into the mix

StatTiger

I like it a lot. It would be a great way to get an explosive player like JF3 more involved and force the defense to account for him. This in turn will open the defense up to be exploited with even more plays. 

Edit: Stat, you should send your concept to CRL just in case it wasn't already considered.

Edited by IronMan70

I like the idea Stat.  I do disagree and think he should be used as a speed sweep guy to.  As decoy and the give as well.  Speed sweep guys have been Marcus, Ryan, and Hastings.  I think a few couple 3-4 a game of the speed sweep style would be pretty effective as well.  Maybe a reverse type play off that with Ryan Davis however the blocking would have to be at a premium in the speed sweep reverse.  Trust me coaches will drill into their defensive players heads if 5 is on the field watch for tricks which opens up normal plays and deep bombs off fakes to him

• Like 3

I'm thinking that JFIII is a weapon, and this is a heckuva idea to get him on the field. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that Lashlee, with the able assistance of Herb "he has a coordinator's mind" Hand have thought of this or something not far removed. But just in case they haven't, somebody with access to the AU football offices, please print it out and slip it under their doors. :big:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, corchjay said:

But this should be done very limited because he is our 2nd string QB?

Yep, that's the downside but the upside can be explosive. risk/reward 

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

Yep, that's the downside but the upside can be explosive. risk/reward 

Meaning his practice time shouldn't be affected because he still needs the #2 reps at QB

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Stat for OC.....

Or how about this...Stat for offensive analyst. Or just staff analyst on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Meaning his practice time shouldn't be affected because he still needs the #2 reps at QB

Most definitely and injuries to the #2 have to be considered as well. I'll tell you one thing this would do though. It would give SW a whole different defense to have to deal with.

Do we have any recent updates on woody or TQ? I feel like if either of them are in a position to take over the backup QB spot (technically the 3rd string QB spot) it will allow the coaches to feel a lot better at moving jf3 around.

i also agree that CRL needs to see this

Do you really don't think the coaches don't have this drawn up already?   Wow.  With all that said he is the 2nd string QB and for this to be effective he needs to be in the game more, which won't happen.  I expect we will run from this set on a limited basis and setup the downfield throw, which would be wide open.  If JFIII gets in the game more the scenarios above play out and we worry about our QBs, guess we find out Saturday maybe

Why not use JFIII as the speed sweep and give him the option to throw it to the receiver on that side if the corner freezes or abandons the receiver because he thinks its a run?  Similar to what NM did in 2013 Iron Bowl with Sammie.

• Like 2

Just curious if there's been any indication of JFIII's receiving ability from practices, etc.

That is, if he's running the orbit (first I've heard this term, by the way, so thanks!) and SW fakes the give to him and comes up looking for receivers... is JFIII one of those potential receivers?

Great stuff as always, Stat.

6 hours ago, Charhair said:

Do we have any recent updates on woody or TQ? I feel like if either of them are in a position to take over the backup QB spot (technically the 3rd string QB spot) it will allow the coaches to feel a lot better at moving jf3 around.

i also agree that CRL needs to see this

No inside info, but didn't TQ come in and take snaps vs ULM?

The problem with the #2 QB is that you need him just in case things go bad for #1....which means that coaches are often reluctant to expose them to risk and most hate to pull #1 if things are going well.

That's the dilemma with JF3......so we have a dynamic athlete on the bench waiting on #1 to either get hurt or become ineffective....or waiting to come in for a couple plays when a change of pace is helpful.....or mop up in a game where the primary goal is to run the clock and not embarrass the opponent any further ?   Thus, the odds are he might be on the field less than even the third string WR or RB.

Just seems there should be a better plan than that.  :dunno:   But the season is still young and there is still time for someone other than Stat to find it.

46 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

No inside info, but didn't TQ come in and take snaps vs ULM?

Only on a play where they knew he wouldn't get hit or have to throw

almost seemed like a "give tq a few snaps while he can incase he doesn't get anymore" 

of course that's just my opinion. I would love to see him used in our offense, if he's able to.

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

I think JFIII should get at least one series in each half at QB.  More if we are struggling offensively.  Why bang you head against the wall when, you have a weapon.

The guy is just too talented to keep on the bench, particularly in a close game.  His ability to create big plays and, his ability to create confusion and wear down a defense needs to be utilized.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

But this should be done very limited because he is our 2nd string QB?

I'm going with corch on this.  Since he would be an option for a hand-off on every play, that gives defenders a green light to tee-off on him.  The last thing we need is our back-up QB to go down. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StatTiger said:

John Franklin III

There is no doubt JF3 would bring an explosive element to the offense. Coach Rhett Lashlee commented on the topic this week...

"That's stuff we'll continue to look at," Lashlee said. "I feel like he's getting better each week. That's the challenge: You don't want to disrupt the rhythm of your offense and get into a quarterback shuffle, and we're not going to do that. But John is an explosive player for us. We'll just kind of take that week to week and see what we think we can do there."

IMO, Coach Lashlee's comment about not wanting to disrupt the rhythm of the offense is a valid and essential point. Some have suggested utilizing JF3 on the speed-sweep. I don't agree primarily because it is way too easy to defend the play and the moment he sets foot on the field and moves in motion, opposing defenses will sell out for the sweep option. There are few options from the jet-sweep, which is why I believe the "orbit" motion is the best option. The key is placing JF3 in space to take advantage of his speed. The orbit motion allows Auburn to utilize him as runner, receiver, QB and decoy.

Every time he orbits over the backfield...

• Defenses will be less likely to crash on the mesh-point because they must respect the end-around option. This opens up the inside running game. Think back to how Tennessee used this orbit motion against Auburn during the 2004 SECCG to break two long run plays between out tackles.

• When he takes the handoff on the end-around he has more space to maneuver than the jet-sweep because he is deeper in the backfield.

• There is a passing option off this play, and the orbit-player is often left open in the flat after the QB fakes the inside give to the RB and fakes the handoff to the orbit-player. Onterio McCalebb was often left open in the flat but Auburn rarely took advantage of it.

• There is a second passing option, where JF3 takes the handoff or lateral in the orbit-motion and sets up to pass himself.

Here is red zone play from 2014, utilizing the orbit motion with Ricardo Louis.

photo USC - Fulse TD_zpsuypfykbo.jpg

Auburn could runs 4-5 different plays on one series with JF3 in motion over the backfield on every play. The orbit-motion becomes more than "eye candy" because JF3 has to be accounted for, every time he motions over the backfield. You could still toss in the jet-sweep during the series, depending on how the defense is defending the edge.

Thoughts?

I've been missing this element of our offense for two years ! Fabulous insight and hope Lashlee reads this post! ?

47 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm going with corch on this.  Since he would be an option for a hand-off on every play, that gives defenders a green light to tee-off on him.  The last thing we need is our back-up QB to go down. 

Use him, and hope it's lightning in a bottle. Jj is an adequate backup imho 

• Like 3