Plug JFIII into the mix

StatTiger

55 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That was just Jimbo auditioning for Saben's job. He is fixing to be on the hot seat at FSU and he is hoping that Nick will retire and the turds will buy him. Why else would you be preaching to the updikes. WDE

My thoughts....did not see his audience but it had to be a bunch of bammers...no point in making that an issue in front of FSU fans who probably wish he would tell them what he plans to do to beat the better ACC teams they have to face.     The whole thing just seemed weird. 

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Remember that's illegal according to Jimbo Fisher. We just haven't gotten the memo yet. 

There is no true viable option to attempt a pass by the player running a speed sweep. He would be too close to the line of scrimmage to avoid a defender coming off the edge. There is no way he could set his feet to make an accurate throw or to survey his passing options, while avoiding pressure from being so close to the line of scrimmage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Is he capable of creating the time to throw?  Is he capable of converting third and long with his feet.

He may well have a deficiency but, so far, I don't see any reason not to give him a series or two in every game, particularly if we are struggling offensively.

Of course you don't see any reason. You don't get to see practice. None of us have seen enough of John to have a clue what his full capabilities are or aren't. The only thing we know is the coaches know and they want to win, so when he's ready, he will play.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course you don't see any reason. You don't get to see practice. None of us have seen enough of John to have a clue what his full capabilities are or aren't. The only thing we know is the coaches know and they want to win, so when he's ready, he will play.

Sure.  That explains the Clemson game perfectly.  In reality, that might be the one thing we know.  They didn't know and, they still don't know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Could see him used like UF did with Percy Harvin...could be electric.

IF he can catch reliably. I don't know if we know that. Do we?

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

My thoughts....did not see his audience but it had to be a bunch of bammers...no point in making that an issue in front of FSU fans who probably wish he would tell them what he plans to do to beat the better ACC teams they have to face.     The whole thing just seemed weird. 

I am so glad we did not wind up with this trash bag as a HC. My hope is some day he is tied to all the crime at FSU and gets to spend some time in the pen. Not saying that Baylor didn't have a major problem with their ordeal but FSU would win the cake by a mile as far as ignoring and covering up their thug players abuses. WDE

I submitted a question to CGM asking if there were any plans to use JF3 a lot more in the red zone. So Stat, I agree 100% he could be deadly and really help us up our TD%. War Eagle!!

Oh and Jim-Boyyyyy, if you can't get your facts straight, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!! You better focus more on your over ranked simi-nooooos.

Edited by TigerfanKM
add to comments

On 10/3/2016 at 9:32 PM, StatTiger said:

John Franklin III

There is no doubt JF3 would bring an explosive element to the offense. Coach Rhett Lashlee commented on the topic this week...

"That's stuff we'll continue to look at," Lashlee said. "I feel like he's getting better each week. That's the challenge: You don't want to disrupt the rhythm of your offense and get into a quarterback shuffle, and we're not going to do that. But John is an explosive player for us. We'll just kind of take that week to week and see what we think we can do there."

IMO, Coach Lashlee's comment about not wanting to disrupt the rhythm of the offense is a valid and essential point. Some have suggested utilizing JF3 on the speed-sweep. I don't agree primarily because it is way too easy to defend the play and the moment he sets foot on the field and moves in motion, opposing defenses will sell out for the sweep option. There are few options from the jet-sweep, which is why I believe the "orbit" motion is the best option. The key is placing JF3 in space to take advantage of his speed. The orbit motion allows Auburn to utilize him as runner, receiver, QB and decoy.

Every time he orbits over the backfield...

• Defenses will be less likely to crash on the mesh-point because they must respect the end-around option. This opens up the inside running game. Think back to how Tennessee used this orbit motion against Auburn during the 2004 SECCG to break two long run plays between out tackles.

• When he takes the handoff on the end-around he has more space to maneuver than the jet-sweep because he is deeper in the backfield.

• There is a passing option off this play, and the orbit-player is often left open in the flat after the QB fakes the inside give to the RB and fakes the handoff to the orbit-player. Onterio McCalebb was often left open in the flat but Auburn rarely took advantage of it.

• There is a second passing option, where JF3 takes the handoff or lateral in the orbit-motion and sets up to pass himself.

Here is red zone play from 2014, utilizing the orbit motion with Ricardo Louis.

photo USC - Fulse TD_zpsuypfykbo.jpg

Auburn could runs 4-5 different plays on one series with JF3 in motion over the backfield on every play. The orbit-motion becomes more than "eye candy" because JF3 has to be accounted for, every time he motions over the backfield. You could still toss in the jet-sweep during the series, depending on how the defense is defending the edge.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Yes....umm all of these "orbit motion" and "jet sweep motion" plays need to be thrown out of the play book along with the wide receiver screens we call 10 times per game. Thank you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bryanlooney said:

IF he can catch reliably. I don't know if we know that. Do we?

No, we don't. At all. Yet, a fanbase that has been breathtakingly critical of its WRs the last few years- with some of that criticism being justified- is equally enamored with the idea of lining a career QB up out wide. Auburn fans, man. We're something else. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

is equally enamored with the idea of lining a career QB up out wide. 

That's pretty much all we've seen during Malzahn's recruiting, and quite a bit of recruiting before that.  Get athletic HS QB's and make 'em receivers at Auburn.

It's been a long time since I posted but I can't resist.

JFIII can certainly bring an exciting dynamic to the back field but does it really solve what I see as our core problem?  For the most part we are run first and use option plays that are early decision.  What we have seen for some time now are defenses crowding the line of scrimmage - all the way across.  For the most part, db's and corners are pulled in tight and defensive units are pushing the central o-line and edges are containing. If you maintain your lane against us, you've countered much of what we do.  Coming up with ever more clever and powerful offensive plays is not the only answer to liberate the offense.  We all recognize the opportunity just a few yards down field.  But with the "standard" alignment against us jammed and SW being fast-rushed I'm not seeing the most valuable commodity we need - an additional two to four seconds.  SW has shown he can hit in shallow secondary, but that's tough to do when your world's crashing in.  As much as people want to argue positions and plays, I see our offense bursting with talent.  Put in a couple plays that swing SW left or right with an extra backfield blocker for a few seconds, we might actually loosen the death grip at the LOS.  Our RB's are pushing forward with this kind of crowd.  Imagine what would happen if we added space.  JMSO  (s=simple)

Edited by oldaufeller
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

It's been a long time since I posted but I can't resist.

JFIII can certainly bring an exciting dynamic to the back field but does it really solve what I see as our core problem?  For the most part we are run first and use option plays that are early decision.  What we have seen for some time now are defenses crowding the line of scrimmage - all the way across.  For the most part, db's and corners are pulled in tight and defensive units are pushing the central o-line and edges are containing. If you maintain your lane against us, you've countered much of what we do.  Coming up with ever more clever and powerful offensive plays is not the only answer to liberate the offense.  We all recognize the opportunity just a few yards down field.  But with the "standard" alignment against us jammed and SW being fast-rushed I'm not seeing the most valuable commodity we need - an additional two to four seconds.  SW has shown he can hit in shallow secondary, but that's tough to do when your world's crashing in.  As much as people want to argue positions and plays, I see our offense bursting with talent.  Put in a couple plays that swing SW left or right with an extra backfield blocker for a few seconds, we might actually loosen the death grip at the LOS.  Our RB's are pushing forward with this kind of crowd.  Imagine what would happen if we added space.  JMSO  (s=simple)

That is a very practical point of view. I officially endorse this idea. Furthermore, I like the idea of lining jf3 up in the slot, motioning SW out of the backfield, jf3 under center, and running wildcat from this fornation twice in first half, and then going deep with the same pregnancy motion in 2nd. 

Honestly whats the problem with using JF3 in the red zone? If we succeed this week without him, then okay, but if we don't, there seems to be no actual plan to use a guy that might be our most explosive option scoring wise

• Like 2

On 10/5/2016 at 1:01 PM, ausoldiergrad said:

That is a very practical point of view. I officially endorse this idea. Furthermore, I like the idea of lining jf3 up in the slot, motioning SW out of the backfield, jf3 under center, and running wildcat from this fornation twice in first half, and then going deep with the same pregnancy motion in 2nd. 

Um...pre-snap, not pregnancy.  Thanks phone.

6 minutes ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Nah man, pregnancy motion FTW. Gus is all about that misdirection. "Yo, why's #5 waddling around like that?" Boom. Six. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nah man, pregnancy motion FTW. Gus is all about that misdirection. "Yo, why's #5 waddling around like that?" Boom. Six. 

:laugh:

46 minutes ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Worked for me, thought you meant orbit motion which makes the backfield pregnancy shaped.;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Worked for me, thought you meant orbit motion which makes the backfield pregnancy shaped.;)

May we prosper and have many beautiful little touchdown babies.

On 10/6/2016 at 2:13 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Honestly whats the problem with using JF3 in the red zone? If we succeed this week without him, then okay, but if we don't, there seems to be no actual plan to use a guy that might be our most explosive option scoring wise

Been saying this for the longest.