Kayak Fishing

SaltyTiger

I have a 16.5 g3 60hp yamaha. a 14' flatbottom with a 9.9yamaha. but for the last 3 years i have been kayak fishing almost exclusively. so relaxing, no gas, battery, and it is cramped but i have all i need. check out   crappie.com

i got a Future Beach Trophy 126. slow but stable. will upgrade someday.

9 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Never have tried but want to. Any advice on Kayaks, size, cost? Seems like it may be cramped but i am ready to get out of any boat after a few hours.

It's awesome.  Really awesome in salt water.  Do not attempt to take too much stuff.  Keep it simple.

I prefer the open top variety with rod holder, sealed storage.  Mine also has a small wheel built in so that it is easy to pull to the water.

Don't know where you are but, here in Florida, the alligators and sharks will freak you out.  Hanging a stringer off the side might not be the best idea.

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

It's awesome.  Really awesome in salt water.  Do not attempt to take too much stuff.  Keep it simple.

I prefer the open top variety with rod holder, sealed storage.  Mine also has a small wheel built in so that it is easy to pull to the water.

Don't know where you are but, here in Florida, the alligators and sharks will freak you out.  Hanging a stringer off the side might not be the best idea.

Never been in saltwater. But I do have a cooler on top for fish no stringer. We have a few gators here but I haven't seen one yet. I have a pistol with the first round snake shot on my belt. I have had not scares so far. 

13 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

At Mexico Beach/Port Saint Joe. Lots of good small craft water. I like the KIS approach. Are you fishing with spinning reels and jigs? Seems like live bait would be cumbersome

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

At Mexico Beach/Port Saint Joe. Lots of good small craft water. I like the KIS approach. Are you fishing with spinning reels and jigs? Seems like live bait would be cumbersome

In salt water, I have found nothing better that a gold spoon, steel leader if you are in the open gulf.  I have literally caught everything from lady fish, specks, red fish, blue fish, bonita, sharks, spanish, kings all in the same day.  The kayak itself is a wonderful drag system some times.  Typically, if you can find a little bit of structure beyond the second sandbar, you are going to have fun.  Old pier pilings are really good.

Spinning reels are probably better but, I like my bait casters, the saltwater versions of the Shimanos.  I have never attempted taking live bait.  I have hooked small fish and allowed them to swim around when there are big fish in the area.  You do have to realize that there will be some that you can never hope to land in a kayak.  Fun to try though.  Just don't allow a big king to drag you way out.   

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

In salt water, I have found nothing better that a gold spoon, steel leader if you are in the open gulf.  I have literally caught everything from lady fish, specks, red fish, blue fish, bonita, sharks, spanish, kings all in the same day.  The kayak itself is a wonderful drag system some times.  Typically, if you can find a little bit of structure beyond the second sandbar, you are going to have fun.  Old pier pilings are really good.

Spinning reels are probably better but, I like my bait casters, the saltwater versions of the Shimanos.  I have never attempted taking live bait.  I have hooked small fish and allowed them to swim around when there are big fish in the area.  You do have to realize that there will be some that you can never hope to land in a kayak.  Fun to try though.  Just don't allow a big king to drag you way out.   

Thanks, Going to give it a try. The kid in link bellow is my nieces son. His Dad caught huge sailfish off Carllion in PC this summer.

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks, Going to give it a try. The kid in link bellow is my nieces son. His Dad caught huge sailfish off Carllion in PC this summer.

Holy smokes!!!!!!   I can't imagine how long it took to land that fish in a kayak.  Mind blown.  Don't listen to me any more.  Just listen to dad. :bow:  

Seriously, that's whole different league from the one I'm in.  I would have cut that guy loose about two miles out.  Look at those clouds on the horizon.  Unreal!!!!

24 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Depends on how the fishing is.

the dad has helped some but I want to wade in the kiddie pool. BTW, great Auburn family catching that fish

23 hours ago, Grumps said:

Now THAT is awesome!

How long can you sit in a kayak without it getting really uncomfortable?

i have fished for 9 hours before. you play hell when you get out. i try to get out and stretch every couple or three hours now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Would like to buy 2 before Thanksgiving. Know the brand names that have good reports. any advice on length, transporting, weight?

Also, anyone on the gulf coast? I live on the "forgotten coast". Family place on Panama City Beach that I check weekly. Strong dead fish smell here tonight coming from the Gulf?? No dead fish on the beach. 

36 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Would like to buy 2 before Thanksgiving. Know the brand names that have good reports. any advice on length, transporting, weight?

Also, anyone on the gulf coast? I live on the "forgotten coast". Family place on Panama City Beach that I check weekly. Strong dead fish smell here tonight coming from the Gulf?? No dead fish on the beach. 

Red Tide?

Archived