What are some of your Pet peeves of announcers and watching football on tv?

GwillMac6

This thread was inspired by me flipping to the Ga Southern Arky State game tonight on Espn 2 and the announcers CLEARLY not being back at the stadium but back at the studio. I hate watching games where that happens.

There are several issues I have with announcers.

1) Calling players by the wrong name.  Repeatedly.  Still looking for Kyle Allen on the AU roster...

2) The obvious bias they will ultimately have toward one team or the other which causes them to have preconceived explanations about what is going on.  Just sit there and call the plays and explain why things are penalties AFTER the ref says what the penalty is.  This way I don't have to explain it to my wife every time.

Not knowing the rules of the game. I'm not talking about new or nuanced rules, I have heard more than one hall of fame football player blather utterly wrong rule statements from the booth. Not NFL vs college rule mistakes either. cough cough Bob Griese cough cough

• Referring to one of the teams as "we" or "our" (when it's not a local broadcast).
  • Being adamant that a call/review was incorrect/missed, when it obviously wasn't.
  • Praising one player constantly and ignoring all other great play.
  • Talking too much about a different game happening at the same time.
  • Cheering for one of the teams (when it's not a local broadcast).
  • Constantly harping on an off the field issue that is irrelevant to the game, especially when it is used to downplay a great play.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:
  • Referring to one of the teams as "we" or "our" (when it's not a local broadcast).
  • Being adamant that a call/review was incorrect/missed, when it obviously wasn't.
  • Praising one player constantly and ignoring all other great play.
  • Talking too much about a different game happening at the same time.
  • Cheering for one of the teams (when it's not a local broadcast).
  • Constantly harping on an off the field issue that is irrelevant to the game, especially when it is used to downplay a great play.

I really got tired of Andre Ware and his harping on the "fumble" of Pettway. It sure looked like Pettway's  knee was down and should have been reversed and was not a fumble but Ware would not leave it alone. He has seemed to be very anti Auburn in every game where he has been an announcer. At least that is  how it has appeared to me.

1 minute ago, Slammer1 said:

I really got tired of Andre Ware and his harping on the "fumble" of Pettway. It sure looked like Pettway's  knee was down and should have been reversed and not a fumble but Ware would not leave it alone. He has seemed to be very anti Auburn in every game where he has been an announcer. At least that is  how it has appeared to me.

Yeah, the replay definitely showed it was not a fumble.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Constantly harping on an off the field issue that is irrelevant to the game, especially when it is used to downplay a great play.

^^This...ala Cam Newton.  They went after Cam like it was nobody's business, constantly rehashing the same "pay for play" crap all the way through the National Championship broadcast.

You have to remember to the media moguls are not free of political bias.  There is usually an underlying reason to their madness.

On 10/6/2016 at 8:12 AM, lkeel75 said:

The obvious bias they will ultimately have toward one team or the other which causes them to have preconceived explanations about what is going on.  Just sit there and call the plays and explain why things are penalties AFTER the ref says what the penalty is.  This way I don't have to explain it to my wife every time.

Two words: Rod Gilmore

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2016 at 8:12 AM, lkeel75 said:

There are several issues I have with announcers.

1) Calling players by the wrong name.  Repeatedly.  Still looking for Kyle Allen on the AU roster...

2) The obvious bias they will ultimately have toward one team or the other which causes them to have preconceived explanations about what is going on.  Just sit there and call the plays and explain why things are penalties AFTER the ref says what the penalty is.  This way I don't have to explain it to my wife every time.

The problem is, they are completely ignorant when it comes to the rules of the game.  They can't accurately explain why something was a penalty because they don't know.  Case in point (and there are many), Georgia/Nebraska game a few years ago (bowl game).  QB takes the snap, tosses to the RB, running back runs to the right side, looking like he's going to throw.  Nobody open, rb getting close to sideline, throws the ball out of bounds and it lands right at the original line of scrimmage.    Here comes the flag....  Annoucners:  "I'm not sure what this flag is for".  It looks like they may call intentional grounding here, but I don't know why they would".   "he was outside the tackle box and got the ball to the line of scrimmage".  "Yep that's what it is, Intentional Grounding and this is a bad call"  "he was outside the tackle box and threw the ball across the line of scrimmage.  This shouldn't have been intentional grounding".      Well, YES IT SHOULD.  Call was spot on.  The exception for throwing the ball away only applies to the player that took the snap.  The RB didn't take the snap.  The ball was pitched to him by the QB.  Therefore, intentional grounding.   The announcers didn't have a clue.  Announcers are clueless when it comes to rule interpretations.  Former coaches are the worst. 

Archived