Signing period & satellite camp changes expected for 2018

ellitor

link

When the NCAA began its in-depth examination of the state of college football recruiting almost two years ago, the most pressing issues that needed to be addressed were a potential early signing period and satellite camps. The NCAA took big steps toward answering questions about both issues.

On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Council unveiled components of a new model for college football recruiting, proposing major cutbacks and restrictions to satellite camps and the introduction of two new early signing periods.

The council proposed legislation that would cut the days in a year from 30 to 10 that coaches were allowed to conduct camps. Only coaches permitted to recruit off campus could participate -- and the camps would be required to take place on campuses or in the facilities used primarily for practice or competition by member schools. A final vote on the camp changes is planned for April, and if the proposition passes it would essentially end lengthy nationwide barnstorming tours like Jim Harbaugh's Summer Swarm Tour that drew so much criticism from rival recruiters the past two summers.

Jim Harbaugh's "Summer Swarm" satellite camp tours would become a thing of the past if the NCAA's new recruiting legislation is approved. Greg Ostendorf
The proposed new early signing periods would last 72 hours each -- the first would open on the last Wednesday in June and the second at the time of the mid-December junior college signing period. The topic of early signing has long been debated in college football and was last tabled by the Division I conference commissioners in June 2015. This proposal, if passed by the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association, would be effective for the 2017-18 signing year. It's expected to be passed when the commissioners meet again in November.

The proposed changes to the NCAA recruiting model were the result of an examination by the Division I Football Oversight Committee, chaired by Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. According to the NCAA, members of the committee sought more transparency in recruiting and a model that balances the interests of all involved.

"The working group did a deep dive on recruiting from beginning to end," Bowlsby said, "and I think what we came up with as a proposal is both student-athlete-friendly and coach- and staff-friendly. We hit a sweet spot."

Both plans are expected to pass and have already received unanimous approval from the 10 FBS conferences, a source told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg. While some tweaks are expected, these reforms are expected to be approved and the source said "status quo is not acceptable."

It's no surprise college coaches liked the idea of a cutback in the recruiting camp schedule, but the thought of suddenly having not only one but three signing periods quickly struck a nerve with recruiters.

A Pac-12 coach said the proposal was a "step in the right direction" but also pointed out the NCAA failed to mention anything about adjusting the recruiting calendar for earlier official visits. With the 2015 early signing period proposal, the NCAA indicated it would be willing to adjust the visit calendar but nothing was mentioned about changes Wednesday.

"You can't have a signing period in June without official visits," the coach said. "But if they do allow them, then it's a game-changer for college football."

A Big 12 coach says he supports the idea of adding a mid-December window but that recruiters' lives "would be miserable" if the mid-June period becomes a reality "without dramatic changes to how everything is done with recruiting." He also said the NCAA needs to be prepared to release kids from their letters of intents if the June and December periods become a reality because "kids could get f---ed by coaching changes."

A Big Ten assistant feared the early signing periods went too far and pushed football more toward the basketball recruiting calendar.

"I like being able to see them play as seniors," the Big Ten coach said. "We barely get any time to evaluate them as it is. Why speed it up? The decommitments don't bother me, coaches get paid a lot to recruit, so make them work for it. You can't compare it to basketball, because the recruiting competition is tougher and the volume of prospects is higher."

The SEC has been one of the most vocal opponents of an early signing period in the past, but a conference coach admitted he has come around to the idea and says he thinks it will even benefit the recruits.

"I love the idea now," he said. "I think it'll finally make schools think twice about offering kids early with no plan of taking their commitment. If they really want them, they're going to have to sign them now. That'll help a recruit truly tell if they're wanted by that school. 'If you want me, then sign me.' "

I think the early signing period is a big negative for Auburn. Even though we have a brand name, we have a much better chance at kids later in the process after they have visited the plains and developed relationships with our coaches. We have closed very strong over the last couple of years, and I feel that momentum would be negated with this new rule.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

I think the early signing period is a big negative for Auburn. Even though we have a brand name, we have a much better chance at kids later in the process after they have visited the plains and developed relationships with our coaches. We have closed very strong over the last couple of years, and I feel that momentum would be negated with this new rule.

I completely agree with this. Its all about the official visits late in the process when we seal the deal on a lot of our highly ranked players recently. this would be a huge loss for us.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Imo I don't think it matters for Auburn. The Guys Auburn getting late they are going to get late anyway as those guys typically wait before they are ready to sign and commit.

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I completely agree with this. Its all about the official visits late in the process when we seal the deal on a lot of our highly ranked players recently. this would be a huge loss for us.

There is a very good chance official visits will be moved up because of this even though it was not discussed much in the article.

Like @ellitor said, I think the ones we pull late will still be late signees anyway.  However, I do believe that one of the reasons that we are always working until the 23rd hour is because we have had so much turnover on the staff.  I mean Gus has been there 4 years and we are on our 3rd DC.  It is hard to build those relationships and trust between kids and a school without consistent coaching.  I truly hope that our defensive staff stick around this year.  I know a lot of people are talking about CRL being out and bring in one of the Briles, so maybe we have turnover again this year.  But look at the "elite" programs.  The ones that are talked about year in and year out.  As much as I hate to say it, UAt.  They have had the same HC for 10 years, the same OC for 3 (or 4) and this is only the 2nd DC in 10 years.  I mean seriously that is stability.  People were down on Frost & McKinzey last year but the poor guys had 4 different DCs in the 5 years they were here.  That is insane.

So I guess what I am saying about this is that I don't think an early signing period is going to help or hurt AU.  I think consistent coaching staff and building the relationships between the coaches, school & kids is what will help AU in the long run.

I'm not completely opposed to the early signing period but I'd like to see some sort of cap on the number of kids signed.  Also give the kids an "out" if head coach changes prior to February signing date.

It's official... Gus is not a fan of the early signing periods

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Gus-Malzahn-offers-take-on-pair-of-NCAA-rules-proposals-48199073

Gus Malzahn has no problem with the structure of the NCAA's signing period for football.

"As far as early signing day, I like the way things are right now," Malzahn, Auburn's fourth-year coach, said in his typical concise, straightforward manner during his time on the SEC coaches' teleconference Wednesday.

Last week, it was revealed the NCAA Division I Council made a proposal to enact two 72-hour early signing periods for football. One would come during the last Wednesday in June prior to a player's senior year of high school. The other would come in mid-December of the player's senior year and coincide with the junior college signing period. To take effect, the proposal must be approved by the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association. The existing signing period from football runs from the first Wednesday in February into early April. If the proposal is enacted, it would take effect for the 2017-18 school year.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It's official... Gus is not a fan of the early signing periods

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Gus-Malzahn-offers-take-on-pair-of-NCAA-rules-proposals-48199073

Gus Malzahn has no problem with the structure of the NCAA's signing period for football.

"As far as early signing day, I like the way things are right now," Malzahn, Auburn's fourth-year coach, said in his typical concise, straightforward manner during his time on the SEC coaches' teleconference Wednesday.

Last week, it was revealed the NCAA Division I Council made a proposal to enact two 72-hour early signing periods for football. One would come during the last Wednesday in June prior to a player's senior year of high school. The other would come in mid-December of the player's senior year and coincide with the junior college signing period. To take effect, the proposal must be approved by the Division I Collegiate Commissioners Association. The existing signing period from football runs from the first Wednesday in February into early April. If the proposal is enacted, it would take effect for the 2017-18 school year.

He never has been a fan. He said similar things last year when early signing period was passed for all of about 2 weeks.

Archived