2017 4* Safety CJ Avery (Louisville 12/14/16)

ellitor

4_4291320.jpg
CJ Avery, S
Grenada, MS (Grenada)
Ht 6-1 | Wt 196

• Talented DB from Mississippi
  • Miss St has long been believed to be the leaders but AU has made a move the past month with their success & Miss St's struggles. If Miss St completely tanks this season as I'm thinking then this battle could get very interesting.
  • Has 12 P5 conference offers including AU, Bama, Miss St., Ole Miss, Clemson, Vols, FSU, Louisville.

247Sports Profile

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could sure use this dude next year...he seems to really enjoy hitting people...and he's pretty darn good at it.  I would love to have a couple more hard hitting safeties in that secondary.  

"Need" may be strong, but he's a stud. We have four of our five Safeties returning next year, but again, CJ Avery can really play. Personally, I'll be surprised if he ends up at State. They're the leader now. I just think Auburn, Ole Miss, and Bama (if they get interested) have a real shot here.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

"Need" may be strong, but he's a stud. We have four of our five Safeties returning next year, but again, CJ Avery can really play. Personally, I'll be surprised if he ends up at State. They're the leader now. I just think Auburn, Ole Miss, and Bama (if they get interested) have a real shot here.

AU & MSU were his top 2 at last report FWIW

Yeah, E, word around here is State, AU, Ole Miss. In that order. With Bama lurking but not fully into him. If that changed, they could move up that ladder. 

9 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Well the way took Miss. State down, I wonder what CJ thinks of us now?

"Great team win The defense shut things down" Link

Keith said he found that interesting although I'm not sure why.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

You have to think that all of the recruits who are high on Miss State are starting to realize that Miss State minus Dak is the Miss State of old... i.e. perennial doormat. I'm personally interested in seeing how fast Mullen's seat gets hot if they continue to tank this season.

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If a season's won/loss results mattered the least little bit our '15 and '16 classes wouldn't have been as great as they were. A single game, even against a recruiting rival, matters not at all. I used to think it did, but paying attention to results and reading what recruiting gurus write on the subject has convinced me of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Calling my shot on this one. This will be the first of many big fish the crime dawg will land!!! Everything seems to have been pointing to AU since his official. I am optimistic on hunter but not nearly as much as I am on Avery. WOOOO LETS GO! WDE!

• 4 weeks later...

he is announcing december 11th and yet have not heard much about him for awhile. Really need this guy. Hope this is one of many big time targets the crime dawg lands.

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Sounds good to me Gmac... Just not much info out there on this guy or if we are up at the top.  

There is. It just has not been posted over here. AU and Miss St have been the top 2 for a very long time. I have not checked the past week to see if that's still the case.

So I am fully expecting both Crime Dog and Coach G to finish strong as they always do and the would be more one for the crime dog.  

5 hours ago, lala said:

So I am fully expecting both Crime Dog and Coach G to finish strong as they always do and the would be more one for the crime dog.  

Would not expecting out of Coach G this year. We are only taking 3 DL total and this is a fairly weak DL class for recruits.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Would not expecting out of Coach G this year. We are only taking 3 DL total and this is a fairly weak DL class for recruits.

Understand but those three can make a difference.    We have some great coaches/recruiters on the D side of the ball.   

7 minutes ago, lala said:

Understand but those three can make a difference.    We have some great coaches/recruiters on the D side of the ball.   

Regardless the DL class we sign is not shaping up to be too hot.

20 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We need to beef up our defensive backfield. 2016 DB's were awful.

A4E, you have broken through to a new level of lunacy. Congrats!:partey:

3 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

That Daniel Thomas kid was awful this year.

Yup. Total butterfingers on those 2 INT's versus Bama.

Did he mean the players on the field in 2016? I mean, that's also lunacy. In fact, forget I said it. It's a ridiculous comment either way.

I'm excited to see what Broussard looks like after a full off-season. He looked pretty dang good in limited action but needs to add some weight. Then, there's Marlon Character who was the highest rated guy in the group. Assuming Thomas continues to develop, I'm not sure there's a starting job available in a defensive backfield returning Carlton/Javaris Davis, Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin, and Daniel Thomas. Still, it's going to be mean competition with Dinson and Dean returning from injury.

All that said, by all accounts here in Mississippi, CJ Avery is a stud.

I think our secondary was generally solid this year. Rudy has been very under-appreciated but I think we are ok for next year even with him leaving (make no mistake though, he has been a very quiet stud for 3 years now). I like the way this young man looks and really am hoping McGriff can seal the deal on him

Archived