2017 4* Safety CJ Avery (Louisville 12/14/16)

ellitor

11 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I know Broussard was on the light side coming in. I wonder what he is up to now?

Probably the same as his Fall weight. Players who play during the season as JB did don't usually lift to grow during the season.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, he still looked slight at the end of the year. He has the ability and length though. A little meat on the bone is all he's missing.

And then there's this which CJ Retweeted saying it was accurate...

at this point, I wouldn't eliminate Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Louisville or Auburn for CJ Avery heading into his decision on

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite Defensive recruit in this class. LETS GO CRIME DAWG!!! WOOOOOOOO! Close that deal.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

And then there's this which CJ Retweeted saying it was accurate...

Could just be saying that because he does not want the suspense to get out.

Free from Rivals

MONTGOMERY | Grenada (Miss.) safety C.J. Avery is set to announce his commitment Dec. 14, and as of Monday, his choice likely will be one of two schools.

“I think it will be between Auburn and Louisville,” Avery said at check-in for the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star game. “I don’t think either of them has an edge right now.”

Avery still is considering Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but it will be difficult for the two in-state schools to trump the two out-of-state leaders before next Wednesday.

“They could get back in it,” Avery said. “I’ve been talking to Coach (Hugh) Freeze and Coach (Dan) Mullen a lot, but right now it’s Auburn and Louisville.”

Avery has taken official visits to Auburn and Louisville. He visited Auburn in September and Louisville last weekend for the Kentucky game. There are several reasons why Avery is high on the Tigers and Cardinals.

“My Louisville visit went well, and they are a little short at the safety spot right now,” Avery said. “I went and watched the UK game and you can really tell that they need some help. That’s a big factor because you want to get in your freshman year and play as quickly as you can.”

Avery’s relationship with Auburn defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff is an asset for the Tigers. There is history between the two as McGriff coached Avery’s father at Kentucky State.

“Me and Coach McGriff have a great relationship,” Avery said. “With him having coached my dad, that’s big for me.”

McGriff isn’t the only reason for Avery’s high interest in Auburn.

“There are some great people at Auburn,” Avery said. “It’s a great fan base. They have some of the best fans in the country. They treated me well on my official visit. The program is nice. Coach (Gus) Malzahn is doing a great job over there. It’s just a good place to be.”

Avery also sees Auburn’s defense as a good fit.

“I think I fit well in the Auburn defense,” Avery said. “I watched (safety) Tray Matthews a lot and the way he plays the game; that’s the way I see myself playing in their defense.”

Avery, who Rivals ranks the No. 32 safety in the 2017 class, plans to announce his decision live on the High School Football Network at 5:30 p.m. CT.

I am still wary how he left out Miss St after JUST taking his official there. Makes me think he is trying to get the most drama out of this. Still cautiously optimistic because of the CRIME DAWG!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am still wary how he left out Miss St after JUST taking his official there. Makes me think he is trying to get the most drama out of this. Still cautiously optimistic because of the CRIME DAWG!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!

Report I saw said he just OVed Louisville.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Report I saw said he just OVed Louisville.

He was in Starkvegas this past weekend.

He was in Starkvegas this past weekend.

You're right. It's what I get for listening to JLee.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're right. It's what I get for listening to JLee.

Always go with the best in Neihbur! haha If I want entertainment and good stories I go with good ol Jlee.

Always go with the best in Neihbur! haha If I want entertainment and good stories I go with good ol Jlee.

I know but I had not seen Keith say he visited Miss St. last weekend. Trust me. I went there first like always.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

CJ breaks down his final 4...

seems pretty simple to me. IDK about all of yall but if we keep crime dawg he is ours. That is what I got from this.

Really starting to like AU's chances after reading this...

CJ Avery biggest factor and why Auburn makes sense

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Only one Saturday stands between CJ Avery and his college decision.

The 4-star safety from Grenada, Miss., will use that last Saturday as a final moment of reprieve from the recruiting process. Avery will suit up as the starting strong safety for the western half of the annual Alabama-Mississippi rivalry game.

After that, it’s a collision course with his live-streamed announcement on Dec. 14. He said he had a “gut feeling” a few days ago that helped him “get a perspective” of where he wants to go.

The full-on focus on that remains a couple days away.

“I’ve just got to talk with my parents this weekend after the game. But I’m trying to focus on the game right now,” Avery said.

When the all-star game concludes, it’ll be a four-team battle to Wednesday. Reports surfaced earlier in the week that indicated Avery had narrowed his finalists to two teams — Auburn and Louisville. Avery made it very clear to me that all four teams remain in contention, though his hint at a gut-feeling decision suggests one has started to rise above the rest.

The 247Sports Crystal Ball puts Mississippi State out front with 54 percent of the predictions. I’ve been told the Bulldogs coaching staff feels supremely confident in their chance of landing the in-state prospect. Without a doubt, Mississippi State has a better shot than Ole Miss.

Louisville has been a late trend, thanks to Avery’s final official visit. Ole Miss even picked up Crystal Ball projections.

The only contending team without a selection: Auburn.

That’s somewhat of a head-scratcher, and here’s why — Avery’s primary motivation for picking a school makes Auburn a great fit.

“Player development, really, that’s the main thing,” Avery said. “The program that’s going to get me to that ultimate goal — the NFL.”

dsc_0041
Auburn safety target CJ Avery (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Let’s take a look at the totals for defensive backs on NFL roster, by school:

• Auburn: 9
  • Mississippi State: 3
  • Ole Miss: 3
  • Louisville: 3

Obviously, those numbers along don’t tell the whole story. Staffs have changed dramatically since many of those players made it to the league, so development is different. A few Auburn players are just on practice rosters.

Also, as it pertains to Mississippi State — a perceived front-runner — that trio of DBs included Johnthan Banks and Darius Slay who are becoming two of the NFL’s best at cornerback (though Avery will play strong safety).

Still, as a program, Auburn has the same number of NFL defensive backs as the other three contenders combined. The history is there, which is something Avery said he admires about the Tigers.

That doesn’t even mention the biggest Auburn draw yet — Wesley McGriff.

The Auburn secondary coach spent the three seasons before he joined the Tigers’ staff as the defensive backs coach for the New Orleans Saints. That’s not lost on Avery.

“That plays a big role in it, too. He knows what it takes to get to the NFL,” Avery said. “I just pick his brain whenever I’m around him, to see what he thinks. That’s one thing I love about him.”

Avery noted he isn’t the only person in the 2017 class to take notice. It helped land Malcolm Askew and Jordyn Peters — a pair of players who will oppose Avery in the annual rivalry game on Saturday. Carlito Gonzalez is another Auburn commit drawn in by McGriff’s NFL past.

Devon Hunter, one of the nation’s top safeties, pushed his commitment date from Christmas Eve to January. That, too, will give McGriff extra time to court the 4-star prospect from Virginia.

I haven’t even listed the guys he’s coached who are in the NFL: Casey Hayward, Brandon Harris, Kenny Phillips, Sam Shields and Yeremiah Bell.

“I think it speaks for coach McGriff and the defensive backs coach he is,” Avery said. “People just want to play for him. That just speaks for itself.”

That’s high praise. Especially for a guy whose Crystal Ball predictions give Auburn a zero percent chance.

It’s only six days until Avery’s decision time. You have to think the Tigers have a better shot than that.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Didn't realize Hunter had changed his commit date. May mean nothing but cant help but think that's a positive sign fo AU. Go get 'em Crime Dawg!

The Hokie Pokies will still be tough to beat with DH.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Really starting to like AU's chances after reading this...

Any idea why is his ranking so all over the place? 3 star on rivals, 78th overall on espn and in the 200 range for scout and 247.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Any idea why is his ranking so all over the place? 3 star on rivals, 78th overall on espn and in the 200 range for scout and 247.

No and I really don't look into that stuff. I just pass the info along.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:46 PM, ellitor said:

Things appear to be looking good here folks

I think it's big Miss St is out.

Are we still in good shape with Avery?Any new news on his commitment for tomorrow?

Last few crystal balls have been to Louisville. 

24 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Could this have to do with McGriff looking around (ie: DC @ Ole miss)?

could be and I think we underestimated how much Louisville was in this. Everyone though Miss St was the team to watch out for.

Archived