NHL 2016-17 Season Discussions

wareagleguy

Any hockey fans care to discuss? Who's your team? 

I'm a Penguins fan (also like the Bruins).

And how about Auston Matthews' night in his first game? A hat trick plus one, crazy! 

I like the Flyers/Wings and the Kings somewhat. I haven't had a chance to watch any games yet. I'm still watching baseball. 

When I was a student at AU my freshman year, I decided to get into the NHL playoffs. Randomly chose the Colorado Avalanche and they went on to win the Stanley Cup (this was 1996) so I've been a fan ever since. Been hard lately with missing the playoffs so much, but they have a good core and hopefully Roy can right the ship and get some defense out of his team this year. 

That said, who saw the kid for Toronto score 4 in his rookie debut? He was stellar. 

I love the NHL.  It's the only pro sport that I care anything about.  I'm a Flyers fan and have been since my 20's.  I didn't get to see the game last night when they opened the season, because I was officiating a football game.  I also tend to keep up a little with the Predators since their coach is Peter Laviolette that was at Philadelphia a few years ago.   It still irritates me that they fired him 3 games into the season.    I definitely look forward to hockey season every year.

I started watching when the Rangers won the cup in 94. Always sided with them when on. Probably the only NY team I pull for in any sport haha. Hockey is a sport that I will float to several teams I like to watch.  Detroit,  Colorado, Carolina, Anaheim to name a few.  And several teams I always root against for whatever reason.  NJ (because of rival with rangers), Dallas,  Montreal,  Buffalo lead that group.  Pittsburg and Philly are growing on me.  Excited to watch more games this year with NHL network and FS1 showing up on Sling this year. 

Die-hard Bruins fan!   Watched them lose to the hated Hans last night after the AU game.   Some of the new faces look promising, and Marchand is on a tear.   Still love watching the best two-way player in the game, Bergeron.  

• 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

Anyone else been following the playoffs? 

I'm currently hoping Nashville wins it all 

25 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I'm currently hoping Nashville wins it all 

They are playing well and have great home ice advantage.

I hope Nashville beats the brakes  off of whom ever comes out of the East. 

I'm a Pens fan so I am hoping for consecutive SC championships. The Predators are a great team. Great home ice atmosphere. Play well as a unit. Should be fun! 

I've got a hydra of teams I like. First and foremost are the Flyers, then the Bruins and Red Wings. My allegiance with Nashville lives with my dislike for the team they're playing. 

On 5/29/2017 at 7:40 PM, augolf1716 said:

well crap not a way to start

The ship was righted by the end, though it was a bizarre contest.

Avs fan here with an unnatural hatred of the Detroit Red Wings (those late-90s/early 2000s playoff battles still scar me).  Been a hockey fan for over 20 years and just love the game, so much so that I begged my mom to let me skip high school graduation in order to watch game three of the Cup finals back in 2001 (Avs/Devils).  So far I've been fortunate enough to see games in three of the original six cities (Detroit, Chicago, and NYC) plus Minnesota and Atlanta during the Thrasher days,

Happen to live about 5 minutes from the Dallas Stars' AHL team, so I go there a lot for my fix.  When I lived in Michigan, I was near MSU so got to see a lot of really good college hockey.  The Frozen Four is on my must-do sports list.

Hoping the Preds take the Cup.  Best friend is a massive Preds fan so want him to experience that joy.  Plus that guy still isn't off-side from game one.

PR has been solid all playoffs, now he is rattled. I would love to take Game 3. Will be tough, Nville has a loud and raucous arena, with or without catfish! 

Not surprised by the outcome last night. I was hoping the early goal would further rattle PR, but, to his credit, it did not. 

Pens were outplayed, which seems to be a consistent narrative in this year's Stanley Cup Finals.

The Preds played too many minutes in our defensive zone. They were by far the more physical team (see Hits stat). They controlled the puck and gained the zone too often, allowing them to funnel the puck to the goal. Where they seemed to have 2 guys camped out all night for rebounds and redirects.

Pens have to put together a complete game in the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

@wareagleguy and @augolf1716, congratulations on your teams Stanley Cup victory. I hope to see one of mine hoist it soon. #Flyers #RedWings  #Bruins

Archived