Softball vs Dayton st game 2

GBAU83

Jenny Abbott gets start at pitcher for game 2, strike out, infield fly to 1st and ground out to 2nd

Podany, cf, leads off,walk; kaitlyn crocker up, doubles off a shot down 3rd, scores Podany, Fagan doubles to rc, scores crocker, snow flies to deep right, advancestors fagan, she grounds to 2nd. Scores fagan, greenwood singles to 2nd, Jordan flies ft o 2nd.  AU leads 3-0 after one

Daytona with double,  2 grounders to 2nd, another double, scores 1, and grounder to first.  AU leads 3-1

Veatch flies to shallow left,  Justus Perry reaches on 2nd base error, McCrackin walks, top order Podany with fc out at 1st. Crocker walks, Fagan lines to 3rd. End two AU leads 3-1

Small ball and AU errors plate 2 for Daytona but AU ends rally on double play. Going bottom of 3, tied 3-all

Snow flies to cf, shea flies to 2nd in shallow right, greenwood strikes out.  Still 3-all

Martin in to pitch for AU.

3 grounders to 3rd, going bottom of 4.

Jordan flies to cf, veatch hbp. Perry singles through left side, McCrackin walks, Podany walks, run score,  crocker flies to 2nd, Fagan walks, scores one, snow singles to right scores 2 advances on throw. Shea walks, greenwood single's up the middle,  scores 2 and AU says let's swap it up after scoring 6, now leads 9-3.

3 quick grounders for Daytona.  AU to bat, Rivera pops to 2nd, Abbott pops to 3rd, fornis singles to right, maresette singles to right, spain pops to short. After 5, AU leads 9-3.

Strike out, grounder to 2nd, grounder to 3rdo makes easy work in top of 6.  Lots of positional changes on defense as expected in fall ball.

Rivera triples to right center and two runs score.   Great swing on that.  Mccrackin singles to left before the triple.

Waldrop pops to short in her first at bat of the game, Jordan caught looking, veatch singles to left, McCrackin singles through left side,  Rivera triples to rc, scores 2, Abbott singles to left, scores 1, fornis pops to short.  After 6, 12-3 AU.

Alexander Nemeth, lhp, in for martin on the mound. 

Grounder to short. Bunt attempt fielded by pitcher and fly to center ends the game. AU wins 12-3.

My wife and I attended the games Saturday and Sunday.  Rather than start a new topic I thought I would tie on to this one and give overall all impressions/observations.  First off, most are aware that two starters from last year (Draper and Gipson) are recovering from knee procedures.  Cooper did not play in the field and took only one at bat..  Hit a single to right field but did not take the turn at first and was immediately replaced with a sub runner. Carlee Wallace appeared to jam/sprain her wrist tagging out a runner at home early in the first game yesterday and did not play for the remainder.  Shea did her usual great job at catcher for most of the remainder though Veach played some at catcher.  Speaking of Veach, I noticed she played at first, third and catcher during the series and I thought did well.  Martin and Carlson look good pitching.  Swindle was especially sharp on Saturday.  It is impressive to watch how effortlessly Martin can throw a ball at 65 - 67 mph.  She is so smooth.  Fagan looks very good back at short.  The home run she hit over right field fence was impressive to watch....one of those OMG moments.  Tannon Snow and Greenwood clearly have power.  Justus Perry clearly has power but has seemed to be "pressing" too hard but finally hit a home run in the second game yesterday.  You could see the big smile on her face when she rounded third base.  Greenwood appears to have better than average speed on the bases.  I would say the same regarding Kaitlyn Crocker.  She easily beat out a nice bunt yesterday.  Also I felt she gave a good account of herself with her play at second base.  At this point I am not convinced that we have second and first shored up in replacing Emily and Jade but I know coach will have the right combination there when the season begins next year.  There were 2 or 3 plays there where there seemed to be confusion when the person playing first had to field a ball hit to her right and someone else had to cover the bag.  By my count we have 4 seniors,7juniors 6 sophs.,and 11 fresh. 

Thanks to War Tiger, GBA83, and Slot Canyon for their reports.  I cyber-saw the last few innings of Game 1 on Sunday, but had to miss Game 2.  Sounds like Rivera had two triples in Game 2.  Justus Perry also homered in Game 1, just left of the scoreboard, in the 7th, so that would give her two on the day.

I'm most curious as to who will replace Carosone and Rhodes.  I'm inferring that Spain, McCrackin and Crocker have all played at second, with Perry and Veach at first.

This is still early, but it sounds like Coach is not toying with the idea of Swindle batting.

Abbott and Snow have played 1st also.  I'm thinking we may see Snow at first when al is said and done.  In these Fall Ball games with several players not available, there are a lot of moving parts in terms of a lot of players getting a look at multiple positions.  You are right about Swindle and likelihood of an appearance at the plate.  I am thinking we may not be quite as good as last year because we lost a lot of senior talent but in 2018 we will have a lot of maturity on the team at key positions.  Of course we have to replace some great talent on the left side of the infield then.  We have a great coaching staff and talented players.  Will be interesting to see the season unfold starting early next February.  That Triple Crown tournament in Mexico should put some urgency in the off season workouts and early practices.

My wife and I noticed there were several freshman who played in the intra-squad game who did not play this past weekend.  Could be related to a quote by coach Myers in article by Phillip Marshall (Auburn Undercover Oct. 17) "People are starting to understand we mean what we say,” Myers said. “We got everybody in the games this weekend. As we get closer and depending on what we see at practice this week, there might be more people that don’t play. You are going to have to earn that right. That may be a hard lesson for a couple of them.”  I know he has stated in the past that they expect the freshman to meet the team expectations at practice.  I take from this they do not hold any "remedial classes" and practices are for moving forward not backwards.  The article also indicated that Veach was the probable starter at 2nd.  I wonder if that was a misprint because I don't recall her inserted at that position this weekend.  I saw her play on both corners and at catcher.  Also he indicated that Podany and Jordan would be on either side of Draper in the outfield.  I wonder where this would leave Madi Gipson who was in right field last year and is currently recovering from toe surgery.  She started 67 games last year and had a batting average .239.  Her fielding % was the lowest of our outfielders at .919 but keep in mind we are comparing her to Tiff and Victoria.  It may come down to who is swinging the bat the best. Be curious to see how some positions shape up over the next couple of weeks. On Sunday, between game 1 and 2, Tiffany was in the stands and came down to the fence to talk to Carlee Wallace.  After a few minutes Carlee started back toward the dugout.  At about the same time a mother brought 3 small girls down and apparently told Tiff that she had wanted to get a photo with Carlee.  Tiff called out to Carlee and she immediately returned and came up to the fence for a nice picture with the girls and spent some time talking with one of them.  Kind of nice to see. 

5 hours ago, slot canyon said:

My wife and I noticed there were several freshman who played in the intra-squad game who did not play this past weekend.  Could be related to a quote by coach Myers in article by Phillip Marshall (Auburn Undercover Oct. 17) "People are starting to understand we mean what we say,” Myers said. “We got everybody in the games this weekend. As we get closer and depending on what we see at practice this week, there might be more people that don’t play. You are going to have to earn that right. That may be a hard lesson for a couple of them.”  I know he has stated in the past that they expect the freshman to meet the team expectations at practice.  I take from this they do not hold any "remedial classes" and practices are for moving forward not backwards.  The article also indicated that Veach was the probable starter at 2nd.  I wonder if that was a misprint because I don't recall her inserted at that position this weekend.  I saw her play on both corners and at catcher.  Also he indicated that Podany and Jordan would be on either side of Draper in the outfield.  I wonder where this would leave Madi Gipson who was in right field last year and is currently recovering from toe surgery.  She started 67 games last year and had a batting average .239.  Her fielding % was the lowest of our outfielders at .919 but keep in mind we are comparing her to Tiff and Victoria.  It may come down to who is swinging the bat the best. Be curious to see how some positions shape up over the next couple of weeks. On Sunday, between game 1 and 2, Tiffany was in the stands and came down to the fence to talk to Carlee Wallace.  After a few minutes Carlee started back toward the dugout.  At about the same time a mother brought 3 small girls down and apparently told Tiff that she had wanted to get a photo with Carlee.  Tiff called out to Carlee and she immediately returned and came up to the fence for a nice picture with the girls and spent some time talking with one of them.  Kind of nice to see. 

Everything I've read on other boards say it was knee surgery, just like Victoria Draper.

Archived