What the Razorpigs think about us

DAG

34 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:
SW Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5 Column6 Column7 Column8 Column9
Game Completions Attempts Yards TD INT YP Completion Comp % Avg Attempts PG Avg Yards a Game
Clem 10 21 140 0 1 14 0.48 23 176
Tex AM 18 27 126 0 0 7 0.67    
LSU 19 26 234 0 0 12.32 0.73    
State 14 18 204 1 1 14.57 0.78    
Total/Avg 61 92 704 1 2 11.54 0.66      Against non Cupcake  

AA Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5 Column6 Column7 Column8 Column9
Game Completions Attempts Yards TD INT YP Completion Comp % Avg Atempts PG Avg Yards a Game
TCU 17 29 223 3 0 13.12 0.59 37.75 305.75
Tex AM 28 42 371 2 0 13.25 0.67    
ALA 25 48 400 3 3 16.00 0.52    
Ole Miss 19 32 229 3 1 12.05 0.59    
Total/Avg 89 151 1223 11 4 13.74 0.59             Against non Cupcake  

I guess what has me pumped is the trend.  We were, um, a little dysfunctional offensively early on. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JwgreDeux said:

Running is not a requirement to be a great college qb. To me being great or greatness isn't judged by a snapshot. Someone can have a great game, or even a great stretch of games, and not be great. Terry Bowden had a great season as a head coach, but no one would consider him great, same for Gene Chizik. Tre Smith had a great game against Alabama, and other great moments in his career, but he isn't considered amount the Auburn Running back Greats. Fans and commentators throw the word great around too loosely. Also, for a qb part of greatness is wins and to a lesser degree championships, not completion percentage. I think Sean has room to grow and still has plenty of upside. He may have had a great game or two, but I would not consider him a great qb yet. 

Against Arky, he may have another great game. 

I can accept that.  How about we go with "he is currently playing like a great quarterback"?

21 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Our defense has given up big chunks of pass yardage but they are also 3rd in the SEC in interceptions with 7 and 3 of them are pick sixes. I think our CBs are actually pretty good but our safeties and LBs are awful in pass coverage so there should be a lot of room to throw over the middle and underneath.

You are actually tied for 4th with Alabama and Texas A&M, which does put you in the top half, but not much more. 10 teams have 6 or more, so 7 isn't really boast-worthy. It's more than our 3 though which, admittedly I would like to be more. However, when you look at other passing defensive statistics, you are in the bottom half of the league, yards, yards/att, opposing passer rating, and yards/gm.

Combine that with our ability to run and your inability to stop the run, Sean should be looking at some pretty favorable match-ups. 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I can accept that.  How about we go with "he is currently playing like a great quarterback"?

Fair enough. I would like to see more passing TDs though.  Another win against a ranked conference foe would definitely help his greatness resume.

Fair enough. I would like to see more passing TDs though.  Another win against a ranked conference foe would definitely help his greatness resume.

Yea... Hopefully the passing touchdowns will come. If we can stop dropping balls in the end zone, call more passes in the red zone, and Sean gets his long ball timing down, they just might.

I put Sean's lack of passing TDs mostly on the game plan and offensive philosophy in general. He's made mistakes- crazy for a sophomore, I know- but he still hasn't had a ton of opportunities for passing scores*.

That said, I wouldn't call his season "great". I do think he's on schedule en route to being "very good" to "great". I expected "very good" when we signed him and am even more confident in that expectation now. With an OL that might have turned the corner, our young WR talent and our run game, "great" is very well within reach for him. 

*How many opportunities for passing TDs did he miss against LSU? Honest question. I don't recall and the answer might change my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*How many opportunities for passing TDs did he miss against LSU? Honest question. I don't recall and the answer might change my opinion. 

I don't have time to go through film, but I do know he hasn't missed more than 2 long balls in any single game, and I believe the 2 was just once.  Stevens has dropped at least 2 sure touchdowns. 

Update: found the play-by-play for LSU.  There was 1 where a defender was credited for breaking it up though I'd say Stevens dropped it (I checked the footage). There was one long pass where he overthrew Kyle by about about a foot. That's it.  The rest of the incompletions had no chance of scoring.  Of course, there was the sack on 3rd and goal.

Every fan base is delusional.  Especially in the SEC!

I am somewhat surprised by the 10 point line and several predicting  a 2TD or more win.

Most national pundits are predicting a one score game and most predict Auburn to be on the winning side of that score.

The one comment that puzzled me the most was that Jordan Rodgers said Arky would be much too physical for us to handle.  What?!?!?!? 

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't have time to go through film, but I do know he hasn't missed more than 2 long balls in any single game, and I believe the 2 was just once.  Stevens has dropped at least 2 sure touchdowns. 

Update: found the play-by-play for LSU.  There was 1 where a defender was credited for breaking it up though I'd say Stevens dropped it (I checked the footage). There was one long pass where he overthrew Kyle by about about a foot. That's it.  The rest of the incompletions had no chance of scoring.  Of course, there was the sack on 3rd and goal.

Thanks. Had made it to halftime on the cutup but got sidetracked. Now I remember the discussion about that 3rd down sack. My takeaway is that he should've thrown it away, but I didn't see an obvious scoring opportunity. Maybe he could've thrown a slightly more catchable ball on the one that Tony... didn't catch. He did throw a fairly long pass to Tony right on the money, but Tony inexplicably fell down after catching it. 

Blah blah blah. Nobody wants my play by play. The cutup reinforces my opinion that Sean hasn't had a ton of opportunities to throw TDs against a good defense this season.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Maybe he could've thrown a slightly more catchable ball on the one that Tony... didn't catch.

It could have been easier to catch, sure, but it was perfectly placed to keep it away from the defender who was right there. 

His most questionable throw, other than the miss to Davis, was a highlight reel catch for Slayton, as it was about a foot behind him.

If he ever gets his timing down with Kyle, he's going to be scary.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. Had made it to halftime on the cutup but got sidetracked. Now I remember the discussion about that 3rd down sack. My takeaway is that he should've thrown it away, but I didn't see an obvious scoring opportunity. Maybe he could've thrown a slightly more catchable ball on the one that Tony... didn't catch. He did throw a fairly long pass to Tony right on the money, but Tony inexplicably fell down after catching it. 

Blah blah blah. Nobody wants my play by play. The cutup reinforces my opinion that Sean hasn't had a ton of opportunities to throw TDs against a good defense this season.

He should have thrown it to the back pylon for K. Davis. Windows are small and close fast against good Defenses. Gotta cut it loose. 

Against Akry, we will have chances to throw it over their heads, hope Sean can improve on his deep ball this week.

2 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Against Akry, we will have chances to throw it over their heads, hope Sean can improve on his deep ball this week.

Here's hoping he spent a good chunk of the past two weeks throwing to Kyle Davis, in full sprint, at least 40 yards down field.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It could have been easier to catch, sure, but it was perfectly placed to keep it away from the defender who was right there. 

No argument here. At the end of the day, we are correct that it was not because of an egregious error on Sean's part that we didn't score on that play. And I didn't see any during the rest of the game, either.

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

He should have thrown it to the back pylon for K. Davis. Windows are small and close fast against good Defenses. Gotta cut it loose. 

That's fair. Again, not an easy or even likely touchdown that he missed, but I can get with the "give your receiver a chance" concept. Of course, he probably had little angel Gus on his shoulder shouting down little devil Brett Favre on the other shoulder, telling him to avoid throwing into coverage at all costs.

It'll be interesting to see if Jacob Eason isn't still making those kinds of mistakes when he faces our defense in November. LSU was Sean's 10th start and, without looking at the schedule, I'm guessing we'll be Eason's. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Yup... and Allen is a great QB.  I've said more than once that he's currently performing better than Sean.  Just because one team has a great QB doesn't mean another can't.

As for the whole cupcakes argument... We've faced 3 SEC opponents and 2 undefeated teams and in all but one of those games, which was a complete cluster thanks to a psychotic QB rotation, and Sean has put up stellar completion numbers... so that argument holds no water.

And just because one team has a great QB who's thrown 18 TDs doesn't mean the other QB is also great because he's thrown 6 TDs.

We'll all agree to toss the Clemson game because it was a cluster.

What about the only other average to above-average defenses he's faced (A&M and LSU)...how many TD passes did he throw against them combined?

But you consider him "great"?

THAT argument def holds no water.

Lastly, swap White and Allen. Considering how White has little to no escapability in the pocket (whereas Allen buys time under pressure), can you imagine how many sacks White would have already suffered with their O-Line?

Conversely, AU very well might be undefeated with Allen.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

How about we go with "he is currently playing like a great quarterback"?

Against these two defenses?

Scoring Defense: 32.35 (92nd Nationally)

Total Defense: 418.25 (76th Nationally)

Passing Efficiency Defense: 134.64 (78th Nationally)

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yup... and Allen is a great QB.  I've said more than once that he's currently performing better than Sean.  Just because one team has a great QB doesn't mean another can't.

As for the whole cupcakes argument... We've faced 3 SEC opponents and 2 undefeated teams and in all but one of those games, which was a complete cluster thanks to a psychotic QB rotation, and Sean has put up stellar completion numbers... so that argument holds no water.

He isn't great either. In his redshirt junior season with 5 career wins (1 SEC W), 59% completion percentage in SEC play....far from it. 

He isn't great either. In his redshirt junior season with 5 career wins (1 SEC W), 59% completion percentage in SEC play....far from it. 

Same argument, different categories.  He leads the SEC in passing touchdowns and it about as tough as nails as any QB since maybe Dak Prescott. If his O-line didn't suck, and his D wasn't weak, I would bet he'd be winning a lot more games. Heck, he's carrying a rushing team that can't rush against good defenses.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Same argument, different categories.  He leads the SEC in passing touchdowns and it about as tough as nails as any QB since maybe Dak Prescott. If his O-line didn't suck, and his D wasn't weak, I would bet he'd be winning a lot more games. Heck, he's carrying a rushing team that can't rush against good defenses.

How many great qbs are there in college football right now? I think your answer to this question will help me with your view of what is great. 

Arkansas is not a rushing team, not this season any way. I think when they hired this OC they new they would have to throw the ball more to keep up with the game. Our secondary will be tested by Allen for sure, great or not.

How many great qbs are there in college football right now? I think your answer to this question will help me with your view of what is great. 

Arkansas is not a rushing team, not this season any way. I think when they hired this OC they new they would have to throw the ball more to keep up with the game. Our secondary will be tested by Allen for sure, great or not.

Actually, even with Allen throwing the ball like crazy, Arkansas is still calling 57% rushing.

I don't pay attention to all of college football, but i would say in the SEC, we currently have 3 QBs who are playing great (maybe 4, but because he's a dual-threat).  Several who are playing ok to good, and a bunch who are struggling. If a QB is ranked in the top 20 in the nation, I think that qualifies as great.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I put Sean's lack of passing TDs mostly on the game plan and offensive philosophy in general. He's made mistakes- crazy for a sophomore, I know- but he still hasn't had a ton of opportunities for passing scores*.

Had two golden opportunities to pad his stats against ARK St. to have 8 total. Overthrew Kyle Davis and Slayton, both WIDE open, so the opportunities have been there.

6 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Had two golden opportunities to pad his stats against ARK St. to have 8 total. Overthrew Kyle Davis and Slayton, both WIDE open, so the opportunities have been there.

So 8 TDs are acceptable but 6 aren't?

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Only 8th in the Nation in TD passes with an O-Line that even ARK fans agree is terrible.

Has thrown at least 2 TD passes against all seven opponents. I believe he's the only QB in the SEC who has that accomplishment.

6th in the Nation in Passing Efficiency with at least 200 pass attempts. That's above Chad Kelly, Deshaun Watson and Deshone Kizer, the latter two considered Top 3 draft picks. Only two P5 QBs that are above him in that regard are Patrick Mahomes and Mitch Trubisky, who are both likely draft bound.

All with being sacked 17 times and 30 QBH.

There are those among us that didn't want White to win the QB job. Now that he's won it and is doing very well, they cannot seem to turn loose of their preconceived notions and bitterness over his success.

Archived