Auburn picked to finish 11th in SEC

aujeff11

At the SEC media days.

Also, there were no representatives from Auburn on the All-SEC first and second teams.

I feel like I either need to cool down my expectations or the media is severely underrating Auburn. 

CvIukN3WIAAllsb.jpg:large

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a team of potential and nothing more. Until we show we are better than a bottom tier SEC school is BBall, i have no problem with the media expecting us to stay there. But I would say that anyone expecting more than an NIT berth probably does need to temper expectations. As long as we are still patching holes on the team with grad transfers then we are still in rebuilding mode. But hey there is always the chance Purifoy and the other new guys go crazy, everyone stays healthy, and then all the sudden we are a great team. No one saw the Chris Porter year coming

I know I'm biased but I think we are clearly underrated. Just my opinion. Now, having said that, I agree as stated above that we have to win some games to show folks or it doesn't matter. I think we will. 

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

We have a team of potential and nothing more. Until we show we are better than a bottom tier SEC school is BBall, i have no problem with the media expecting us to stay there. But I would say that anyone expecting more than an NIT berth probably does need to temper expectations. As long as we are still patching holes on the team with grad transfers then we are still in rebuilding mode. But hey there is always the chance Purifoy and the other new guys go crazy, everyone stays healthy, and then all the sudden we are a great team. No one saw the Chris Porter year coming

Our depth is pretty darn good now to get such little respect. How is Bama at 7? If our players feel disrespected by the predictions because they know they are better than that, then we should have a pretty fun year.

Its also weird seeing LSU and Tenn so low as well. They're usually always in the top half.

We know we have depth, but nobody else does yet. Our lack of size and lack of defense will, IMO, be our undoing this year for those with lofty goals. I think if we can make any post-season appearance we are on the right track for next season.

How much difference is there between say spots #4-10 on this list, though?

57 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Our depth is pretty darn good now to get such little respect. How is Bama at 7? If our players feel disrespected by the predictions because they know they are better than that, then we should have a pretty fun year.

Its also weird seeing LSU and Tenn so low as well. They're usually always in the top half.

Bama finished 11th in the league last year, one game below 500 in league play, we finished 13th with a 5-13 league record. Why would we be ranked higher than them?

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We know we have depth, but nobody else does yet. Our lack of size and lack of defense will, IMO, be our undoing this year for those with lofty goals. I think if we can make any post-season appearance we are on the right track for next season.

How much difference is there between say spots #4-10 on this list, though?

No much. Last year in the final league standings #3 was only 2 games ahead of #9. 

I think we will finish in the middle of the pack, possibly because I am wearing orange and blue glasses. Basketball is one of the harder sports to rate prior to seeing teams play. Based on last year I understand the rating based on new players including two experienced Grad transfers and Purifoy having been in the system for a year even though he did not play last year I expect more of this group. 

Our scrimmages are showing that we have a lot of talented Offensive players or that we suck at defense.  After we play a few good teams this year we will have a better understanding of where we belong. Right now with the exception of teams like Kentucky you could put balloons on the wall with SEC names and close your eyes while throwing darts blindfolded and have as much chance of being accurate as predictions made today.

"Our scrimmages are showing that we have a lot of talented Offensive players or that we suck at defense."

We have a pretty young team and most kids don't learn how to play serious defense in HS.   They mostly focus on offense since that is what gets the scholly offers. 

BP's biggest job IMO will be to teach them how to play serious/ SEC defense which is usually pretty physical. 

28 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Bama finished 11th in the league last year, one game below 500 in league play, we finished 13th with a 5-13 league record. Why would we be ranked higher than them?

Because we have an overall stronger roster and a better coach? Not to mention that they lost their only good player last year in Obasohan?

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Because we have an overall stronger roster and a better coach? Not to mention that they lost their only good player last year in Obasohan?

I love Auburn and am probably a bigger basketball fan than most AU alums, but as far as preseason rankings go, I'm not surprised or upset with this ranking. I don't believe that is how we will finish the season, I think we will be around 500 in the league, maybe a couple games better if this team finds some good chemistry. But we don't have a roster that is going to just outclass opponents. We are small and will have match-up issues all season, hopefully making those play in our favor. 

Also, Avery Johnson is a good coach. Pearl has a better college resume, but Avery was coach of the year in the NBA. Don't sleep on him. 

18 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I love Auburn and am probably a bigger basketball fan than most AU alums, but as far as preseason rankings go, I'm not surprised or upset with this ranking. I don't believe that is how we will finish the season, I think we will be around 500 in the league, maybe a couple games better if this team finds some good chemistry. But we don't have a roster that is going to just outclass opponents. We are small and will have match-up issues all season, hopefully making those play in our favor. 

Also, Avery Johnson is a good coach. Pearl has a better college resume, but Avery was coach of the year in the NBA. Don't sleep on him. 

I am obviously little biased as well. Our talent level is better than 11th though. It could get better if Wiley enrolls early too. I agree that Avery is a good coach. He did real well with the Mavs falcilitating their team. Bruce is obviously a better college coach RN as his resume speaks for itself. I'm not expecting to make the NCAA tournament. I do think we will have a good enough year to be on the bubble when that time comes.

50 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Our talent level is better than 11th though.

Our roster has a lot of potential, and boasts a 5 star, but we lost:

-about 70% of scoring offense

-about 65% of our rebounding

-almost all of our assist production other than Dunans (3 per game)

-and only return 2 players that played in every game last season

With those types of loses, unless you are Kentucky, you are not going to get the benefit of the doubt in preseason. Especially at Auburn, with the turnover and lack of success we have experienced. 

I believe we will make the postseason this year. 

If we get Austin Wiley in time for SEC play, then these predictions are going to have us way underrated. Either way, we're going to stomp a mud hole in UAT. 

It's always fun to read the comments on this forum....so much unjustified confidence about basketball and so much unjustified pessimism about football.  

Makes me wonder if it is the same people behind those keyboards. :)

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It's always fun to read the comments on this forum....so much unjustified confidence about basketball and so much unjustified pessimism about football.  

Makes me wonder if it is the same people behind those keyboards. :)

I am optimistic we don't finish 11th. We have the talent to carry us but we also have size limits that could prevent us from achieving any other team goals. I see you are trying to stir the pot again. Good luck with that. 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Our roster has a lot of potential, and boasts a 5 star, but we lost:

-about 70% of scoring offense

-about 65% of our rebounding

-almost all of our assist production other than Dunans (3 per game)

-and only return 2 players that played in every game last season

With those types of loses, unless you are Kentucky, you are not going to get the benefit of the doubt in preseason. Especially at Auburn, with the turnover and lack of success we have experienced. 

I believe we will make the postseason this year. 

I mostly agree that our team is all potential at this point. I don't have time to address the whole post because I'm on my phone on break but I'd like to point out that we may have lost a chunk of our offense and rebounding with Cim and Harris but we certainly have players that can account for the offensive production. If anything, our offensive production last year was inefficient and our offense may actually improve. We have plenty of scorers. True scorers. We also have Laron Smith, Mclemore, Purifoy, and Horace Spencer that will help with rebounding. We really don't have any big men that can impose their will but I'm sure our offense can manage regardless. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I am optimistic we don't finish 11th. We have the talent to carry us but we also have size limits that could prevent us from achieving any other team goals. I see you are trying to stir the pot again. Good luck with that. 

Not trying to stir the pot but my basketball optimism was beat out of me over the past two seasons when going into the season it seemed that the NIT should have been a reasonable achievement. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not trying to stir the pot but my basketball optimism was beat out of me over the past two seasons when going into the season it seemed that the NIT should have been a reasonable achievement. 

Really surprised anyone expected AU to make NIT Pearl's first year. We had very little to work with when he took over. Now last year was a bummer. Injuries and guys not sticking around really took it out of that team. We need to have better luck with that this year

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Really surprised anyone expected AU to make NIT Pearl's first year. We had very little to work with when he took over. Now last year was a bummer. Injuries and guys not sticking around really took it out of that team. We need to have better luck with that this year

You might want to look at that roster...a bunch of transfers with serious experience and guys like Chris Denson and others.  The team collapsed in the SEC part of the season but still won some SEC tournament games.  People have their own views but IMO, that team was talented enough....and had the front end schedule to make the NIT though many folks on this site were expecting even more when they considered the transfers he brought in....pretty solid guys....and of course BP's enthusiasm fired people up.. . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Auburn_Tigers_men's_basketball_team

That # 9, 10 & 11 are interchangeable but 2017-18 is our coming out party, not 2016-17. In fact I'd bet this will be an extremely bizarre stat season for us, through the roof in some areas and at the bottom of the league in others. Weak year for the SEC though IMO so if one of our young phenoms emerges as the second coming of Tim Duncan @ Wake Forest season - who knows.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

You might want to look at that roster...a bunch of transfers with serious experience and guys like Chris Denson and others.  The team collapsed in the SEC part of the season but still won some SEC tournament games.  People have their own views but IMO, that team was talented enough....and had the front end schedule to make the NIT though many folks on this site were expecting even more when they considered the transfers he brought in....pretty solid guys....and of course BP's enthusiasm fired people up.. . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Auburn_Tigers_men's_basketball_team

Are you insinuating coaching held us back? Because that roster was butt IMO. Coach K wouldn't have even taken that team to the CBI if you ask me. That team scored 35 points in a full game against Tulsa. Bruce can't play the game for them. If your optimism has been beat out of you I'm expecting you to get a refill of of it after this season for next year because truthfully, this is the first time at AU that Pearl has the luxury of putting guys on the floor that he wants to (still not 100% at this point yet but working towards that for next year) rather than scraping the NCAA talent pool for kids with baggage and transfers just to have enough players to practice properly.

42 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Are you insinuating coaching held us back? Because that roster was butt IMO. Coach K wouldn't have even taken that team to the CBI if you ask me. That team scored 35 points in a full game against Tulsa. Bruce can't play the game for them. If your optimism has been beat out of you I'm expecting you to get a refill of of it after this season for next year because truthfully, this is the first time at AU that Pearl has the luxury of putting guys on the floor that he wants to (still not 100% at this point yet but working towards that for next year) rather than scraping the NCAA talent pool for kids with baggage and transfers just to have enough players to practice properly.

Shoot...I don't know what happened....just saying that if you look back to 2014 people on this board were on cloud nine about the recruiting and the prospects for the team.....the below is pretty typical..  The recruiting looked good, some well respected players who everyone was excited to get...and mostly who never panned out. 

"I was thinking about our possible lineup for next season already, and it got me really excited about the possibilities.

PG - Kareem Canty 6-0 / New Williams 6-2

SG - Tahj Shamsid-Deen 5-10 / Bryce Brown 6-2

SG/SF - TJ Dunans 6-5 / Danjel Purifoy 6-6 / Jack Purchase 6-8 / TJ Lang 6-7

PF - Cimeon Bowers 6-7 / Horace Spencer 6-8 / Jordon Granger 6-8 / Devin Waddell 6-5

C - Trayvon Reed 7-1 / Mathew Atewe 6-9

I don't think I left anyone out; however, I possibly could have. To me, it looks like we could make it to the NCAA tournament next year if everything goes smoothly between this year and next. The only weak spot we may have on the team next year will be depth at the 1 and 2 guards. You can definitely see, though, how quickly Bruce is getting the right personnel in Auburn to turn the program around. "

Archived