Getting the ball to Ryan Davis

creed

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I've been reviewing the play of our offense and I believe the coaches need to get the ball in space to #83, Ryan Davis a few more times a game. He's not big, but he is really quick, elusive and fast. What are your thoughts?

Remember the AUFAMILY made the call (LOL) for James to LT and now he's started the last 2 games at that position. Maybe the coaches read aufamily... ;-).  

It seems to me that he's one of the guys who is getting more targets every game, along with KD 

CGM&CRL seem to favor him over all of our other WRs on the bubble screens, which I like because he catches the ball and gets downfield asap 

He has become our most reliable receiver.  He's not flashy like Davis, or big like Stevens, but he catches everything thrown his way and makes something happen.

This may be premature to say.. but is this the best group of receivers to ever play at Auburn? I'm not forgetting Aromashodu, Obomanu, Mix and Courtney Taylor. Who we have now minus Marcus Davis (who we haven't seen much) and Tony Stevens, are practically all freshmen. We know what we have in Kyle Davis, Ryan Davis, and Slayton, but I imagine all of these other guys are studs as well. 

Just now, logan adams said:

This may be premature to say.. but is this the best group of receivers to ever play at Auburn? I'm not forgetting Aromashodu, Obomanu, Mix and Courtney Taylor. Who we have now minus Marcus Davis (who we haven't seen much) and Tony Stevens, are practically all freshmen. We know what we have in Kyle Davis, Ryan Davis, and Slayton, but I imagine all of these other guys are studs as well. 

Not yet, but they have that potential.

83 is not "big" by any stretch but appears much bigger than he did in that one play he squatted behind the line vs AnM last year. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

83 is not "big" by any stretch but appears much bigger than he did in that one play he squatted behind the line vs AnM last year. 

I wonder, with him coming on so strong this year, if Gus is regretting burning his red shirt for that play.

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I wonder, with him coming on so strong this year, if Gus is regretting burning his red shirt for that play.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Or regretting not using him more. 

What you guys said. And facepalm. 

2 hours ago, logan adams said:

Well, you are forgetting Terry Beasley, Alvin Bressler, and Dick Schmalz.  

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Lol, guess you mean this one...

https://youtu.be/Xt2W_slG5pw

(Tried embedding the video but it wouldn't post after repeated tries) 

I'd say Frank Sanders, Thomas Bailey, Tyrone Goodson, and Willie Gosha were pretty dang good too. I've always thought Bailey's career would've gone better but for the broken jaw returning punts. My impression is that the injury made him slightly less willing to put his body on the line. Still, that was a great group of WRs.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I'd say Frank Sanders, Thomas Bailey, Tyrone Goodson, and Willie Gosha were pretty dang good too. I've always thought Bailey's career would've gone better but for the broken jaw returning punts. My impression is that the injury made him slightly less willing to put his body on the line. Still, that was a great group of WRs.

I'll never forget the Frank Sanders catch in the UF game in '93.

52 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I'll never forget the Frank Sanders catch in the UF game in '93.

Didn't coach Bowden refer Goodson and Gosha as "sticks and bones?"

Is Nate Craig being redshirted? What about Eli Stove? Those 2 should be elite receivers in the not too distant future. We are sitting on a goldmine with regard to all of the receivers we now have in the pantry. I do think Barrett will be one the field a lot next season. He is a proto-type dual threat QB. He is not as big as Cam, but has enough size to run over DBs and some LBs. I cannot wait to see how our offensive weapons comes to fruition and make us on par with the turds or maybe better. One thing that will happen will be Kiffin getting a HC job for 2017. He has gained my respect as a formidable OC in the SEC. I still do not like him that much though. However, he has done a great job bringing bammer out of the dark ages with their former pro-style offense. I think he could wind up at Kentucky. You can win at Kentucky with the right coach. Stoops is not a good HC whatsoever. He is much better as a DC.

Kirby Smart should take notice and move UGA away from their dead in the mud pro-style offense. If not, he will be out of a job in a few years. Was Mitzy Jackson a receiver or RB?

23 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Is Nate Craig being redshirted? What about Eli Stove?

Both have been playing.  Craig caught the beautiful pass from Franklin.  Stove has been in most games.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Both have been playing.  Craig caught the beautiful pass from Franklin.  Stove has been in most games.

Those guys need to have the ball thrown more their way. We should be able to figure out a way to get most of the guys together on the field. If all of our receivers become a super weapon in our passing game, this could get very scary for defenses trying to cover these guys. If our OL continues to get better, we could be a team that the rest of SEC would dread playing.

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Those guys need to have the ball thrown more their way. We should be able to figure out a way to get most of the guys together on the field. If all of our receivers become a super weapon in our passing game, this could get very scary for defenses trying to cover these guys. If our OL continues to get better, we could be a team that the rest of SEC would dread playing.

I'm sure if they got open, the ball would come their way.  I don't know that anyone has any issue with who we are currently throwing to, other than the occasional drop by Stevens, that he usually makes up for later in the game. I would be willing to bet that, even without those two on the field, defensive coordinators aren't sleeping soundly the night before having to play us. Stevens and the Davis brothers (no relation) are quite a handful, and Slayton is coming on strong. 

Don't worry, doc.  They'll all have their time.

sometimes the biggest thing you need to play ball is a big heart.well, along with some talent of course.

I would like to see Slayton get more touches. Hell I would like to see KD and NCM get more looks to. Less Tony Stevens (body catches will cost us down the road) and Marcus Davis please.

9 hours ago, aufla said:

Well, you are forgetting Terry Beasley, Alvin Bressler, and Dick Schmalz.  

Sorry, my auburn football knowledge doesn't go back beyond the times of Pat Dye and Bo Jackson but is Dick Schmalz pronounced like I think it is?

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would like to see Slayton get more touches. Hell I would like to see KD and NCM get more looks to. Less Tony Stevens (body catches will cost us down the road) and Marcus Davis please.

You've already gotten your wish with Marcus, I think. I would've disagreed with you about Tony before the last game, but now I won't. 

10 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Sorry, my auburn football knowledge doesn't go back beyond the times of Pat Dye and Bo Jackson but is Dick Schmalz pronounced like I think it is?

Its pronounced the first way she says it

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If we can protect I want more passing too. Especially if KJ is limited or out. First down passing with pace. 

Archived