Lashlee

tomcat

3 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Am I the only one here staring to worry that Coach Lashlee will get an HC position he's willing to accept?

The nerd in me says "even Commander Reicher...."

I do expect that RL will get some offers as he should. Question is will they big enough to leave AU for.That said remember this is still Gus's offense. What Rhett is doing is the play calling and managing of the offense. Hopefully Gus has understood now that he can't do all things. He will still create the offense but will delegate the game day calling to someone else and use his mind to control the overall game as a head coach should. But make no mistake that Gus gives the overall plan. If he says go slow then they do. If he says pass or run more , they do. He develops and works out the plan at practice and CRL executes it during the game. If he moves on I think CHH is capable of preforming the same. I hope CRL stays and I think it is worth the money to keep him, but If he chooses to move on then we should wish him well. WDE

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not ready to lay yesterday's win at the feet of good play calling/game planning. Most of it was seriously just our guys manhandling their guys. There were a couple of great wrinkles, but we still don't have a balanced offense, mostly because of play calling, and we'll need one for the iron bowl. We aren't going to be able to run at will vs bama.

Rhett is certainly calling better games than Gus was, but he has not shown me that he is a rock star OC yet.

You think Gus is not setting uat up by running so much. SW can pass when he needs to. As much as I hate to repeat something Bear said but he was right. Three things can happen with a pass and two of them are bad. Gus will always be a run first team. If you can stop it then he will go in a different route. The pigs couldn't stop it and neither could the cow bells. WDE

I will really be surprised if Lashlee doesn't get some major offers coming his way after this season. And when he does, I hope Gus doesn't hold him back and talk Lashlee out of leaving. Rhett has not shown he's any kind of rock star type of an OC.

22 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I will really be surprised if Lashlee doesn't get some major offers coming his way after this season. And when he does, I hope Gus doesn't hold him back and talk Lashlee out of leaving. Rhett has not shown he's any kind of rock star type of an OC.

Incompetent as I am to judge your characterization of his skills, I will (with hope) presume that such a potential eventuality has been considered.

I think CRL will be gone after this year and wish him well.  I've always thought he was a very good young coach and sure hated to hear and read all the criticism that he has received over the past year. The "fans" who wanted Rhett fired and CDC promoted to replace him are the ones that really got under my skin.  Fortunately we have smart people running our athletic program.  I would like to keep Rhett another year but he really needs to make a move while he is hot.

If he continues to call the offense like he's doing....I actually hope he stays. The team is young and we have alot of guys coming back next season that are the focal playmakers on this team. I was adamant about canning him,but with the response we've gotten in his time since taking the full reins I have to say I'm very optimistic about his ability. Mixed emotions on the topic actually.

If he goes I fully expect us to hire Kendall Briles and then stidham is basically a lock for us. That would be a win for both parties involved. Rhett gets a head coaching job and we get the perfect QB for this offense.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Yea, no rock star would just put 94 points on the last two SEC west teams we played (47 point average). :dunno:. Do you even watch Auburn football. I for one, would like very much to keep whatever we have right now cause it looks like they have turned the corner. You only need change when things are not working. You need to do some soul searching about what team you really root for. WDE

Guys, I want to start by saying I that I am typically not a conspiracy theorist, but does anyone find it strange that our Oline coach is in the box, and not on the field where almost every other Oline coach in the country is?  this is my theory:

1.   Rhett received a bunch of heat, and is basically the sacrificial lamb for any negative outcomes this season.

2.   We have heard from "insiders" this is his last year, good or bad.

3. Rhett is Gus' boy, and Gus wants him to land comfortably on his feet somewhere (not get fired).

Herb is sent to the box to dissect defenses, and send play calls down to Rhett. Everyone in the country has heard that Rhett is "calling the plays".  therefore, he looks like the genius. Now, when a smaller school's head coaching job comes available, they can take a chance on Rhett, and he will have an opportunity to show whether on not he can REALLY do it on his own. Either way, he  leaves Auburn (and this  way on a good note), and Gus is able to bring in Kendall Briles.

Now, if this is true, then I would say let it all play out, and even if KB does come, leave Herb in the box! 

Coach Rhett Lashlee needs to move on for the sake of his career if he has aspirations of being a head coach of a P5 program.  As pointed out during the game on Saturday, CRL has been with CGM since high school save one year at Samford.  The first years of Gus being the head coach at Auburn, "everybody" knew Gus was running the offense.  During the 2015 campaign, it was implied that CRL was calling the plays hoping to bolster CRL's resume'.   The beginning of the 2016 season, Gus declares that he will be calling the plays and CRL's reputation was thrown under the Gus Bus.  During fall camp, my opinion of CRL hit an all time low, as he succumbed to the believe that a 3 QB rotation was the way to go for the first game of the season.  He was not strong enough to protest and have his protests heard.  Now it seems his reputation can be salvaged if the team continues their current improvement.  CRL's opportunity to be a head coach will never be higher if we continue winning games.

CRL may have to take a pay cut and get added responsibility to do so, but who among us has not had to do that in our careers?  Its called paying your dues.  CRL should have enough confidence in his abilities to be able to succeed in an Arky State type of program to add to his successes.

If CRL doesn't have aspirations of being a head coach, then he can stay put and earn his salary,continue under Gus and be happy until Gus moves on, whenever that will be.

All of this is my opinion, I reserve the right to be wrong.

20 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You think Gus is not setting uat up by running so much. SW can pass when he needs to. As much as I hate to repeat something Bear said but he was right. Three things can happen with a pass and two of them are bad. Gus will always be a run first team. If you can stop it then he will go in a different route. The pigs couldn't stop it and neither could the cow bells. WDE

I gave up on thinking Gus was setting anyone up years ago.  I've always thought of him as a master chess player, but he doesn't play the long game.  In the 6.5 years he's coached at Auburn as HC or OC, there has never been one big surprise.

Until I see a really well coached passing attack, I'm going to stay a bit nervous and I'm not going to buy into Rhett being the great OC that we need to be a championship caliber team.  Kudos to him for what he had done to turn this season around, but I give the glory more to a forced change in the O-Line and a lot of players stepping up.

I give CRL credit for knowing how to drive the bus.  The bus driver doesn't need to be concerned with chrome and fancy wheels.  All he really needs is a map and a watch.  Just get the bus where it is suppose to be, ahead of schedule.  Everything else is a distraction.  

21 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I give CRL credit for knowing how to drive the bus.  The bus driver doesn't need to be concerned with chrome and fancy wheels.  All he really needs is a map and a watch.  Just get the bus where it is suppose to be, ahead of schedule.  Everything else is a distraction.  

You are exactly right. Gus builds the bus but on game day he needs a driver. No one is more experienced in driving a Gus built bus than Rhett because he knows the build inside out. The only problem with Gus is to much second guessing during the game. I think what you see now is Gus creates the plan and Rhett carries it out to perfection. I think we have a winning combo. WDE

I loved the fact we piled up 543 rushing yards on Arkansas Saturday, but we need more balance. I'm glad Rhett is showing out as a real "OC" these past couple games and I hope he keeps it up and then gets a HC somewhere. I would love for someone like KB to come in and then he and Gus work to meld Gus' ground attack with Briles aerial bombardment.

Rhett has taken off and is kicking butt, hats off to him. 

I think he stays next year... he's familiar with the system/players/coaches, finally has the keys to the bus so he IS the O-leader, making good cheddar and will likely get a raise to stay, and he's settled in AU.  He may crave more but that's for Rhett to figure out and us to speculate on.

In my crazy conspiracy theory based opinion, can we get people checking the campus and airlines to see if Art was in town? 

That offense was very similar to that 2014(I think) Baylor team that lost all their qb's and just ran everyone they could for crazy yards. 

Whoever is calling the shots, knows what they're doing and needs to keep it up

Archived