Arkansas Game Report Card

StatTiger

7 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [.81] pass

Now THAT is what I'm talking about! 

We have suddenly gone from 2008 AU to a 2004 AU where Tommy did not just sit on a lead.

I said somewhere that its very possible this could be Auburn's best team to not make a championship of any sorts (which is getting less and less likely as LSU gets better every week and hasn't lost to TAMU since being in this conf) 

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic

Since it's a stat thread, CBS Sports article this morning reports Auburn beat Arkansas 52-3 last night. They need to focus on small stats like THE CORRECT SCORE.

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Great stuff. This is looking like the most complete AU team since 2004/2005. Still a long way to go but fun to watch. WDE!

Careful, I was mocked for mentioning 2004 after halftime of the MSU game. (Needless to say, I agree with you :) )

• Like 1

Stat I know you would not want to predict next week's game outcome, but what is your opinion of the effect Ole Miss' loss will have on their team when we play next Saturday? I was really torn as whether I wanted LSU to win or Ole Miss to win. Here I am hopeful the AU coaches can keep us focused and improving while going into a hostile and angry environment.

7 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Stat I know you would not want to predict next week's game outcome, but what is your opinion of the effect Ole Miss' loss will have on their team when we play next Saturday? I was really torn as whether I wanted LSU to win or Ole Miss to win. Here I am hopeful the AU coaches can keep us focused and improving while going into a hostile and angry environment.

Not stat nor an expert vut in my humble opinion, traveling on the road in the sec, you want all the momentum. Night game in oxford, im extatic miss lost. Makes 2 in a row and both were physically demanding

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Not stat nor an expert vut in my humble opinion, traveling on the road in the sec, you want all the momentum. Night game in oxford, im extatic miss lost. Makes 2 in a row and both were physically demanding

Came to the same conclusion. We want ole miss feeling less confident and, almost of equal importance, we want LSU feeling as confident as possible when they take on TAMU.

Most dominate performance by an Auburn team in a long time.  Makes you want another crack against Clemson and A&M.  If it had both been for the QB fiasco the first few games this team would likely be undefeated and in the thick of the playoff race.  They are looking like one of the most complete teams in the country right now.

The Tigers played a GREAT game all the way across the board. And finally, Gus didn't take his foot off the gas. I've been waiting a long time for him to really put it on somebody. GREAT game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The Tigers played a GREAT game all the way across the board. And finally, Gus didn't take his foot off the gas. I've been waiting a long time for him to really put it on somebody. GREAT game.

Out of all of your 18,404 post, this might be your best one yet. War Eagle!!

• Like 4

One of the most satisfying games to watch in a LONG time. If we can do the same to Georgia in a few weeks, that'd be GREAT. lol

But.. I'm going to bring up one negative since everyone else is so high on a "complete" Auburn team. We are struggling pretty bad in one phase but luckily it hasn't been as big a factor as it could be: Special Teams. Specifically punting and the return game (punts and kickoffs both). Coverage has been fine but we've only had like, what, one decent return all season? Is our blocking that poor these days?

4 hours ago, Linayus said:

One of the most satisfying games to watch in a LONG time. If we can do the same to Georgia in a few weeks, that'd be GREAT. lol

But.. I'm going to bring up one negative since everyone else is so high on a "complete" Auburn team. We are struggling pretty bad in one phase but luckily it hasn't been as big a factor as it could be: Special Teams. Specifically punting and the return game (punts and kickoffs both). Coverage has been fine but we've only had like, what, one decent return all season? Is our blocking that poor these days?

I do feel like it has been primarily a blocking issue. I don't think I've seen many where a fair catch wasn't a sensible decision. 

And, yes, please let this be the season that we thump UGA. I really, really want them to question kirby's manhood after we're done with them. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I do feel like it has been primarily a blocking issue. I don't think I've seen many where a fair catch wasn't a sensible decision. 

And, yes, please let this be the season that we thump UGA. I really, really want them to question kirby's manhood after we're done with them. 

OH DEAR God YES. Can we please put 56 or more on them!!

• Like 2

Folks here know (or should) that I'm positive but let me digress in the midst of the party for a moment because this is not necessarily reflected in stats. Looking at Sean from 10,000 feet - he threw the ball 11 times, completed 6 and two were very interceptable (a word?) - one drop would have been a pick 6. Who cares, 56-3? Maybe. As we know, he's usually terrifically accurate in short to mid range passes but sometimes has that bailout motion on long passes. Watch the replay - he still often telegraphs the short - med range passes. My point is - and this is not a QB rant, splitting hairs or a one game thing - it is CRITICAL that Sean keep improving. He has a half dozen "go up and get it" WRs so if he's even in the right zip code with long balls he'll look golden. Props to Sean: according to BSPN his QB rating for October is 193.2 - that's rare air! 

Bottom line: Ole Miss and Bama DB's are REALLY good.

Anyway, War Damn Eagle!

Edited by aucanucktiger

19 hours ago, Linayus said:

I saw a Georgia fan comment on a post yesterday that said they'll still beat us. :ucrazy:

Did you expect anything less? Georgia fans could be looking at 1 win all season and would still claim the upper hand. And when we do ride them up and down the field, the excuses will flow like water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Folks here know (or should) that I'm positive but let me digress in the midst of the party for a moment because this is not necessarily reflected in stats. Looking at Sean from 10,000 feet - he threw the ball 11 times, completed 6 and two were very interceptable (a word?) - one drop would have been a pick 6. Who cares, 56-3? Maybe. As we know, he's usually terrifically accurate in short to mid range passes but sometimes has that bailout motion on long passes. Watch the replay - he still often telegraphs the short - med range passes. My point is - and this is not a QB rant, splitting hairs or a one game thing - it is CRITICAL that Sean keep improving. He has a half dozen "go up and get it" WRs so if he's even in the right zip code with long balls he'll look golden. Props to Sean: according to BSPN his QB rating for October is 193.2 - that's rare air! 

Anyway, War Damn Eagle!

I've been saying this since Saturday.  The coaches can't let Sean get rusty, which I think is part of what happened, since they spent most of the break with John. I think the other issue is that Sean usually takes a few passes to get warmed up, and they never gave him enough to sustain a rhythm. 

Still, he gets a lot of bonus points for tearing it up with his legs.

I think we are fine, this week, as we will run a similar game plan, but come Iron Bowl time, Sean needs to live up to that 193.2 rating and then some. 

Edited by lionheartkc

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Anyway, War Damn Eagle!

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I've been saying this since Saturday.  The coaches can't let Sean get rusty, which I think is part of what happened, since they spent most of the break with John. I think the other issue is that Sean usually takes a few passes to get warmed up, and they never gave him enough to sustain a rhythm. 

Still, he gets a lot of bonus points for tearing it up with his legs.

I think we are fine, this week, as we will run a similar game plan, but come Iron Bowl time, Sean needs to live up to that 193.2 rating and then some. 

I've said it before but Sean has a fairly "slow" throwing motion. And I mean that in regards to looking to his receiver, setting his feet, and the actual throw/release of the ball. As much as we like to do those short throws, this can really be a liability against teams with great DBs like Ole Miss and Bama (and nearly with Arkansas). He is still accurate but if the DB is reading the QB it becomes really dangerous. That's why I tense up so much when we look for the long ball because they usually have Sean doing misdirection when his eyes need to be downfield earlier so he can adjust before the receivers outrun him or it becomes a jump ball situation.

This is partly why we used JJ so much in the red zone. He was much faster getting the ball out in smaller windows.

Lots of 04 mentions, but this team reminds me more of 05. We were still figuring out who we were at the beginning of the year and caught an L because of it.

Grrrr if our HC just had enough confidence in the team he put together to play football straight up we would've beaten Clemson and who knows how we would've played vs TAMU with that kind of momentum and confidence.

• Like 2